[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Exiting a black hole
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /sci/ - Science & Math

Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 3
File: leaving a black hole.png (11 KB, 1067x699) Image search: [Google]
leaving a black hole.png
11 KB, 1067x699
Is is possible to leave the event horizon of a black hole by way of a stable wormhole?
>pic related
>>
>>8041667
Probably, if you're going fast enough
>>
>>8041720
i thought the mechanics of a wormhole makes velocity irrelvent, isnt it space/time that is moving, not the object, for the most part?
>>
>>8041729

Spacetime doesn't move, it's just different from place to place. And yes, it doesn't matter even if you were able to exceed the speed of light; the geodesics of spacetime beyond the event horizon all send you only one way -- towards the singularity.
>>
>>8041667
according to interstellar, it is.
>>
A black hole is exitable with cheap and compact materials.
>>
>>8041873
>it doesn't matter even if you were able to exceed the speed of light
Not true. With a spacelike geodesic you could pass outward through the event horizon.
>>
File: figs.25feb11.gif (11 KB, 350x218) Image search: [Google]
figs.25feb11.gif
11 KB, 350x218
>>8041667
>>8041873
actually it depends on the black hole.
for a stationary schwarschild black hole, yes, you fall right into the singularity, no matter your speed or direction.

but for a rotating kerr black hole (yes, like the interstellar one, but forget science fiction, i'm speaking only about actual properties of the kerr solution) there are lots of cool things that can happen to you even if you fall inside the event horizon:

you see, a kerr black hole has the profile in pic. forgetting about the ergosphere, there is an external event horizon, an internal one, and inside this second one a ring singularity (so not a point, but a circle, lying in the plane perpendicular to the axis of rotation).

continues...
>>
The real question is, what happens if you did have enough velocity to escape, would you be able to escape in time before the black hole evaporates? Essentially, the time dilation would be so much that time would be stopped. Hell even the death of a black hole may never even happen due to that.
>>
No, time doesn't pass inside a black hole according to the outside world. It will take an infinite amount of time for you to reach the wormhole.
>>
File: penrose_kerr.gif (21 KB, 390x757) Image search: [Google]
penrose_kerr.gif
21 KB, 390x757
>>8046110
this solution to the einstein equation is perfectly fine (well, i mean, it is of course singular on the circle), but there is a slight problem. it has a discontinuity on the surface bounded by the circle. not a singularity, the values of the curvature are finite, but they jump on the disk bounded by the ring.

a standard way to interpret this (or solve this problem), is going to some covering space, which mean that you "extend" the universe in the following way: when you pass through the circle (without ever touching the ring singularity) you go to another "branch" of spacetime where metric and curvature simply go on smoothly (and are different to what happens on the other side of the circle on the originial branch. it's like a portal (the game): a circle that bounds a door to another piece of space. if you pass outside the circle you simply go around it, but if you pass inside it's not the same as going around, it's another region of spacetime entirely.

you can do this trick again and again and have some sort of infinite chain of interconnected universes.

there are geodesics (trajectories of free fall, without firing your rockets) that just fall inside the circle to this strange universe (it has some really shitty properties, like closed timelike curves where you meet your past self).

there are other geodesics too that do not fall inside the circle, but get out of the event horizon of a connected white hole (the exit of a wormhole).

to understand this there are pensorese diarams, like in pic.
to cure this fact
>>
>>8046133
pensorese = penrose

a colleague of mine, this guy here
http://www.madore.org/~david/math/kerr.html
has some really great videos showing what happens visually when you fall along one of these geodesics.
>>
>>8046140
for instance look at this.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T_TU6T4-0LU
it shows what you see if you go through a kerr wormhole to a different universe.
>>
black holes dont exist
>>
>>8046148
then what was your mother referring to when she told me to fuck hers?
Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.