[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
I wanna teach myself chemistry
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /sci/ - Science & Math

Thread replies: 20
Thread images: 4
File: dioxin.gif (1 KB, 270x156) Image search: [Google]
dioxin.gif
1 KB, 270x156
>took general chem 3 times, made dees.
>passed ACS examinations.
>over 10 years ago
All I remember learning is some dumb trivia that didn't apply to anything, not the underlying causes for the reactions observed in the lab.

How would I go about determining what causes a reaction between one thing and another, such as to convert paint stripper & bleach into pic related?
>>
File: thxai.png (360 KB, 396x624) Image search: [Google]
thxai.png
360 KB, 396x624
>>8036542
General rules for "underlying causes" were mostly in the end of the gen chem series, and then you move to higher courses to have those general rules corrected. You seem to want a free pass to avoid the "boring basics". Don't think you're going to get that.
>>
>>8036561
You're right. I don't want to learn anything; it takes too long. Is there a practical way to do chemistry, some sort of tool kit? Or are chemistry sets illegal, because meth/bombs/scary shit: the post.
>>
>>8036612
You can buy glassware and basic lab instruments on Amazon. Enjoy killing yourself in complete ignorance, there are countless ways.
>>
>>8036542
You don't remember Electronegativity, seriously? Areas of a molecule can be "electron rich" and "electron poor." At least work on that concept a bit. Just read a book and give a shit.
>>
File: 1440136729701.jpg (389 KB, 1284x980) Image search: [Google]
1440136729701.jpg
389 KB, 1284x980
>>8036542
mfw you gonna die

>calling things like s and p orbitals trivial
Pick up a text book I guess, but good luck moving onto the core inorganic stuff without first year knowledge. You could get away with some organic jazz, I personally found a lot of the carbonyl reactions easy. However aromatic chemistry was a bit weird
>>
>>8038052
If he starts with electronegativity, she'll get to orbital electron densities, lattice structures and all that shit. Books are all you need at first, then you need to go and play.
>>
/sci/ this is somewhat unrelated but how do I find out what period a particular transition metal belongs to?
>>
>>8039020
(You)
>>
Basics of thermodynamics, kinetics, and other "trivia" is the key to understanding the underlying causes of reactions, and why they do/don't proceed.
>>
>>8039020
Atomic number
>>
>>8039020
Just measure it's charge :^)
>>
>>8036612
Chemicals are not toys.
They, and lab-equipment are too expensive.
>>
>>8039175
Do take the "real" period number and substract it by one? Or am I just being confused about how orbitals work?
>>
>not the underlying causes for the reactions
Good luck learning that in chemistry.
>>
>>8036612
>is there a practical way to do chemistry?

literally what do you mean? i honestly cant understand what you mean by a "practical way" other than learning the material and applying it to perform reaction.

see
>>8036622
>>
>>8036612
>Is there a practical way to do chemistry
Yes, studying theory, lots of theory.
Understanding thermodynamics and the concept of a balance.
>>
>>8039384

This. thermodynamics/energetics was an eye opener during my chem courses
>>
File: hnafkCU.gif (998 KB, 666x373) Image search: [Google]
hnafkCU.gif
998 KB, 666x373
>>8039264

Anon what the fuck are you talking about. We define elements by their proton density, and any charge is due to an inequality of electrons to protons within the atom. Transition metals have the particular property of forming stable ions with filled d orbitals.
>>
>>8036542
>Ds in general chemistry

>after 3 tries

It's a ruse you dopes
Thread replies: 20
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.