[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Is there any ongoing research in category theory? What's
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /sci/ - Science & Math

Thread replies: 20
Thread images: 3
File: pullback.png (6 KB, 225x226) Image search: [Google]
pullback.png
6 KB, 225x226
Is there any ongoing research in category theory?

What's a good school if I want to do a category theory related dissertation?
>>
just learn to draw some arrows and commutative diagrams
>>
>>8034541
Category theory is only a meme.
>>
http://arxiv.org/list/math.CT/recent
>>
Foundations. Everything else is a meme
>>
Category theory without sub-object classifier is like graph theory minus combinatorics. Not much you'd do. If you got them, then you do topos theory, and some look into that.

Homotopy theorist use related language a lot (where its used in a rawer form than in algebriac geometry, say, which also has lots of other structure), though.
>>
>>8034996
You can do a fuck load without topos theory, like say all of type theory.
>>
People don't really do category theory professionally for the sake of category theory. I feel like most of the time it is used to discuss things in algebraic topology or algebraic geometry.
>>
>>8035223
This is somewhat wrong. Algebraic topology is just one of the things category theory is used for. In mathematics it is studied for it's own sake in the form of higher category theory but for the most part if you want to do more category theory you should move to the computer science department, even HoTT is studied in the computer science department.
>>
>>8035430
Higher category theory is essentially being currently pioneered by homotopy theorists, i.e. algebraic topologists.
>>
>>8035687
At my university that's all being done in the computer science department and though everyone has exposure to HoTT only a couple people know homotopy theory itself and are interested in algebraic topology.
>>
I know that people doing logic at my cs school do a lot of category, not sure if that's what you want
>>
File: 1445646744518.jpg (103 KB, 1600x1200) Image search: [Google]
1445646744518.jpg
103 KB, 1600x1200
>>8034541
some try to answer this
>>
>>8035687
From what I can see, higher category theory is where research is atm. Lurie's book made waves I think, but there are many ways to impose the relations between the n- and m- morphisms in a general way that people study other than the homotopy theorist's way.
>>
http://www.oliviacaramello.com/Unification/AwodeyResponse.html
Daily reminder that even topos theorists believe that topos theory is a meme
>>
Off top of my head:

Harvard
Illnios
Berkeley
>>
>One thing I can say is that I have also felt that the field of topos theory is not a good area for new researchers, in part because some of the experts know a lot more than they have published. Also, there are some people in the field who will easily know almost anything that you can come up with, even if they have not thought of it before, and so you will not get the credit or due respect for even previously unpublished results.

true
>>
File: 8676309.png (565 KB, 961x759) Image search: [Google]
8676309.png
565 KB, 961x759
>>8037793
what
>>
>>8036526
UIC? Don't know a lot about the math dept. but I have heard good things about CS and logic
>>
>>8036520
Yea, seeing all those responses put me off of topos theory. Instead I went into HoTT and am switching to comp sci where all the real math (type theory) is being done.
Thread replies: 20
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.