[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
We gonna be immortal anons: http://www.neuroscientistnews.c
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /sci/ - Science & Math

Thread replies: 255
Thread images: 40
File: maxresdefault (1).jpg (35 KB, 1280x720) Image search: [Google]
maxresdefault (1).jpg
35 KB, 1280x720
We gonna be immortal anons:

http://www.neuroscientistnews.com/research-news/first-gene-therapy-successful-against-human-aging
>>
pic. related is the woman who injected herself with the gene therapy and extended her life by 20 years

it's real anons

are you happy that you'll be still alive in 2100 ?
>>
File: 2395253235235.jpg (129 KB, 800x1024) Image search: [Google]
2395253235235.jpg
129 KB, 800x1024
All the billions that died..
>>
>>8027313
Enjoy your cancer
>>
>>8027321
Broken cell death mechanisms != telomere preservation
>>
>>8027313
We don't know the effect of this yet, as the article said, she is patient zero... Also, this story is months old, why is it getting a lot of coverage on /sci/ now?

Finally, this >>8027321
>>
>>8027321
Medicine can have side effects.
Should we not use medicine as well?
>>
>>8027323
>>8027328
He means that even if you prolong your life by a few years, cancer will inevitably get you after enough time. Nothing to do with the gene therapy itself.
>>
>>8027332
If you prolong your life the chances that science will find a cure for your illness increase
>>
>>8027344
The two events have no correlation. Cancer gunna cancer
>>
>>8027519
Actually cancer is more prevalent in the elderly because of their weaker immune system. Normally your immune system can detect faulty cells and kill them. Of course, people who are shit out of luck and get cancer at a going age will still exist.
>>
>>8027314
with consistent exercise and a near-perfect diet I already know I'm living until 2100, even without gene therapy
>>
>>8027526
Oh dear god no. Just no. The immune system is weaker yes BUT the real reason old people get more cancer is because of the increased time in which mutations that cause cancer can accrue. You need something to the tune of 10 mutations to make a cancer cell so after 100 years it's likely most of your cells have at least 6-7.
>>
>>8027532

sounds like a slovable problem
>>
>>8027318
Getting pretty triggered by that missing apostrophe.
>>
HOW DARE PEOPLE LIVE FOREVER
I AM OFFENDED BY THIS

WHAT ABOUT OVER POPULATION??!?!?!
>>
File: 1441142742116.jpg (244 KB, 1846x1212) Image search: [Google]
1441142742116.jpg
244 KB, 1846x1212
>>8027528
>mfw I get to live forever but my mum is gone
>>
Science is ruined, ego freaks will never die and there will never be progress.

t. Max Planck
>>
>>8027610
you sound triggered
>>
>>8027313
Why do I feel like this going to end up like Elizabeth Holmes and Theranos?
>>
>>8027601
easy, only certain people can live forever. make people take a test over their cognition, morality, creativity, productivity, genetic (dis)orders, in order to make sure the best humans are the only ones who earn their immortality. build oneil cylinders to house the overflow population. with infinite time comes so much potential for the human race, but first we gotta cull the shit out of our genepool. cant risk having immortal gimmedats on forever foodstamps. but just imagine a human race with the ingenuity of the best we have to offer and with all the time in the world to make whatever they plan happen.

fuck your offence. whiny babies like you would never pass the immortal test.
>>
>>8027619
Careful now, you might trigger somebody. Luckily the Chinese will do exactly this.
>>
>>8027532
So what, in healthy people, cancerous cells exist too, the immune systems takes care of those. You can whine about muh probability but if you have a good immune system cancer doesn't get a chance.
>>
>>8027619
All the more reason to study biotech so you can do this to yourself.
>>
>>8027619
Its going on to go on sale for 100k or something, its a company, not a /sci/-NEET wet dream.
>>
>>8027618
Probably the attractive blonde with great PR and news surrounding her. Literally the same "look" when you're reading about the way the company is framed, but let's hope this one keeps its legitimacy
>>
File: 1453553916390.jpg (15 KB, 226x170) Image search: [Google]
1453553916390.jpg
15 KB, 226x170
>>8027313
The only news on this is the fact that they managed to make an advancement on the project. The idea of genetics allowing us to live forever is extremely old and not newsworthy.

I'm not really vibrant about the idea of living as a LITERAL FOREVER ALONE kissless hugless virgin.
>>
>successfully reverses BIOLOGICAL aging
>wanting to look like a 2000 year old with the mind of a 40 year old

id honestly rather just die
>>
>>8027638
Look at those handhold fag feeling superior.
>>
>>8027645
did you want to reverse mental aging too and revert to your childhood state of mind?
>>
>>8027645
this has to be clever bait, right?
>>
>>8027619
That's not how capitalism works you idiot.
>>
File: b32.png (2 MB, 960x720) Image search: [Google]
b32.png
2 MB, 960x720
This is a perfect type of research to end up creating a weird zombie virus to end the dreadful existence of the human race on this planet.
>>
>>8027619
can we have one fucking thread anywhere on 4chan that isn't about blacks? We find something amazing and the first fucking thing anyone thinks is "OMG MUH MASTER RACE". I'm fucking sick of it.
>>
>>8027681
>goes to a neonazi website
>whines about how racist they are
>>
>>8027681
Nigger detected.
>>
>>8027313
I'm more interested in the comments section.

Matt Faraday is an hero
>>
>>8027692
>>goes to a neonazi website
kek
>>
>>8027601
Make it against the law for people over, lets say, 70 years old to have children.
>>
>>8027678
one can only hope.

*tips*
>>
>>8027699
>>8027692
>omg so edgy!
>WE WUZ EDGY N SHIEET
Fuck off I'm tired of every fucking board having every thread turn into a /pol/ thread. I bet your stupid ass has never been laid but if you have the girl was a solid 1
>>
File: what is life.jpg (15 KB, 396x303) Image search: [Google]
what is life.jpg
15 KB, 396x303
>>8027710
what about the people under 70?
>>
>>8027313
We can already extend telomeres in mice, and have been able to for some time.

You'll note mice aren't immortal yet.
>>
>>8027678
Just stay inside, close all blinds and eat your noodles for a week until most of em have starved to death and you'll be fine.
>>
>>8027681

But the anon you replied to never mentioned blacks.

Are you just baiting the thread to cause derailment?
>>
>>8027710
What about artificial uterus? Would a person making a child from scratch be considered as "having a child" even when technically thanks to the dna, the child has no direct father or mother?

>>8027718
Have they even attempted to make mice immortal?
>>
>>8027715
>anyone I don't like is a virgin
Sure thing, laddie.
>>
File: Bitey.jpg (56 KB, 550x504) Image search: [Google]
Bitey.jpg
56 KB, 550x504
>>8027718
Mice multiply so fucking fast mane don't want one of those immortal furry motherfuckers to escape.
>>
>>8027645
no problem for you, your mind is already gone
>>
>>8027725
>But the anon you replied to never mentioned blacks.
>he talks about how we need to get rid of the dindus and gimmedats
It was clearly about niggers. /sci/ is literally just /pol/ with a calculator
>>
>>8027736
Good technology eventually spreads.
>>
>>8027736
Every board is just /pol/ with a different quirk. Just the way it is.
>>
>>8027313

Great, now the boomers will be around forever.
>>
>>8027601
Galaxy colonization bro
>>
>>8027681
look, just be a neil dgt or someone like that and you wont have to worry about getting your future visa approved.

or, be like the statistical average black american and be left behind in the dust of a dying world as your immortal cousins usher in a new era of interstellar transhumanism.
your choice

>>8027664
i know. just sucks a little tho. think of all the einsteins were gonna let die of old age because they couldn't afford a pill/injection/dose or whatever.

>>8027715
plz go bak 2 /b/ m8 ur mum iz a solid number 2 cuz shes shit
>>
>>8027736
>/sci/ is literally just /pol/ with a calculator
bait, right? or are you memeing?
>>
File: 1434188376140.jpg (137 KB, 500x661) Image search: [Google]
1434188376140.jpg
137 KB, 500x661
>therapy is real but expensive
>rich live forever, poor are normal
>rich turn into elf overlords who's mannerisms, habit, diet, etc barely resemble normal humans but because they are human, they're extremely arrogant about it as well as their inevitably myriad accomplishments
>rich mistreat those not like themselves
>poor kill the rich
>technology destroyed forever, anyone researching it would receive jihad-like response
>>
>>8027736

>he talks about how we need to get rid of the dindus and gimmedats

Except he didn't and you were the main one who projected blacks as the ones being implied here.

Seriously stop with the bait bullshit, what anon was saying wasn't some coded racist talk bullshit. Do you believe whites and asians don't have their own "undesirables" that would be phased out from anon's proposition too?
>>
>>8027772
Neither; it's a fairly accurate first-order approximation.

To second and third orders you have to include contributions from /r/science and /r9k/.
>>
>>8027782
/sci/ is one of the most left-leaning boards dude, one of the few boards that hasn't been overrun with /pol/acks. Spamming racebait (and genderbait to a lesser extent) does not make the people on this board /pol/.
>>
>>8027733
>immortal
Last I checked it would require continuous supply of whatever drug they concoct to make people immortal, surely you wouldn't need to take that shit every week or year but you would still need to regrow your telomeres once in a while.

>>8027757
People will have decades to get money to buy the drug, one application and that whore's cells got 20 more years and we are still giving only the first steps on this field. Besides I'm sure that countries like china, japan, brazil and iran will give a big middle finger to those power drunk patent driven drug companies if they ever attempt to enslave the whole human race.

We do have to worry about other things however, we need to find a new way to produce energy and find a way to bypass the physical space for ftl communication and travel BEFORE we get to the point where physical space becomes an actual scarcity and we start to live in a real world coruscant.
>>
I have never understood the "only the rich" argument.

Taking apart all the economics counter-arguments, just suppose that something like this already existed. Wouldn't you fight with everything you have to get access to it? People are braindead, I get it, but there's no way the rich can keep it for themselves without massive riots and civil wars happening.
>>
>>8027778
Muslims and Christians reject treatment because, obviously, death is the only salvation.
>>
>>8027789
>buy a gorillian years supply
>bury on north or south pole, frozen
>use all that time to master reproducing the stuff
>>
>>8027793
Also, the rich wouldn't keep it to themselves for a much simpler reason:

There are more than a hundred times as many people willing and able to pay $10K to live longer than people willing and able to pay $1M to live longer.

The rich like making money. That's why they're rich.
>>
>>8027789

>We do have to worry about other things however, we need to find a new way to produce energy

Fusion is currently a meme but even the most pessimistic people in the field believe that we'll get practical reactors not further than 2050-2060

>and find a way to bypass the physical space for ftl communication and travel

it will likely never be possible. But Earth carrying capacity can increase by many orders of magnitude, once we have the right technologies to sustainably support the growth (like asteroid mining)
>>
>>8027793
>Wouldn't you fight with everything you have to get access to it?
Evil companies actually exist and they put the equivalent of a year dose needed by people in the house of millions of dollars, they only manage to get away with it because patent laws that the government created to protect them.

The actual limitation is given by those companies, not by the resources needed to produce the drugs or the time it takes.

Nothing is stopping them from doing the same thing with this treatment.
>>
Is biotechnology a shit major? Is medical school the only way to go if you want to research life extension?
>>
>>8027810
>it will likely never be possible.
I personally don't believe that, ftl while trying to use the laws of the macro universe is impossible, but perhaps in the quantic universe we'll find a better answer since it doesn't follow the same rules.

So far all I said is on an area that's more akin to fiction than theories, but a person's telomeres being actually increased seems to be just as impossible.
>>
>>8027820
Genetics and epigenetics are the fields of the future, once we get to actually be able to indefinitely expand life, we'll look into bettering our bodies whether by robotics or genetic manipulation is the real question. Probably a fusion of both.
>>
>>8027816
Those things aren't similar. These diseases only affect very few people. What they want doesn't matter. An immortality drug affects everyone. If everyone wants the drug for free, they'll get it for free.
>>
>>8027816
>Nothing is stopping them from doing the same thing with this treatment.

The most ancient, burning desire that lied at the bottom of the heart of every human that has ever existed. That's what will stop them.

Have you seen how many billions of dollars are spent yearly on "anti-aging" products, which are currently pure snake oil?

>>8027830

The laws of physics prevent ftl travel from happening. You can invest $ 2000000000000000 on trying to build an ftl spaceship and you won't succeed. Nothing prevents immortality from happening.
>>
File: Yu_Yevon.jpg (12 KB, 310x320) Image search: [Google]
Yu_Yevon.jpg
12 KB, 310x320
>>8027803

Have to admit this would be cool but you know they'd just ammend their 'documents' to support whatever they want to do. The old ways work for them because they're inherently conservative and what the conservative wants to conserve above all else is himself. They only focus on preserving their way of life and laws now because they cannot preserve their own, actual life. Once they can that's all they'll actually want to do, if they can have their religions primary promise in the here and now they will take it. In fact I would say this development is what will finally kill off religion.

Meaning the proletariat jihad to destroy this technology and the people who use it will likely primarily be a religious venture, this new religion will teach precisely what you imply: that not returning to one's creator is the ultimate sin.

Considering FTL is impossible and this is why there are no aliens even though there's almost certainly aliens. Nobody ever leaves their home system because by the time they had the technology they'd realize the economics and ecology work out such that one planet is as good as anothing. Mining the asteroid belt or maybe TNOs for platinum group metals is probably as far as we'll ever bother with or any species in the entire universe has bothered with.

I hope you're ready for thousands of years more of struggling with religion, for aliens to never happen, for immortality to be illegal and focus on the fact that fighting off new-age luddism is probably our most important task before whatever new religion pops up decides the only way for humans to live in peace is for there to be 99.9% less of them. Before the new order puts us into Dunbar's number-sized tribes that never accomplish anything but fucking and infighting that distracts them from the few elf overlords secretly breaking the law and running everything from some ivory tower.

YA'LL READY FOR SOME YEVON???
>>
It's really happening, isn't it?

1. AI more powerful than ever, progress happening literally in front of our eyes.
2. One step away from immortality.

This is what Eliezer Yudkowsky has prepared us for.
>>
File: singularityfags.png (13 KB, 1000x1500) Image search: [Google]
singularityfags.png
13 KB, 1000x1500
Everyone in this thread needs a reality check.
>>
>>8027837
You mean like HIV? Haven't you heard of that time a while back when a retarded CEO increased the price of the most used antiretroviral to the point where people where actually worried about dying?
>>
>>8027840
>The laws of physics prevent ftl travel from happening.
You mean the CLASSICAL laws of physics, last time I checked those rely on the workings of the quantum field which are wildly different.
>>
>>8027860
If you had actually informed yourself you'd have realized that there was a lot of misinformation going on in that case.

In any case, not at all like HIV. Who even has HIV? I've never met someone with HIV. But I have met a lot of people who would vote for the guy that promises to give everyone free immortality.
>>
>>8027842
>In fact I would say this development is what will finally kill off religion.
Agreed.
>>
>>8027858

Please do explain what's physically impossible, then. I mean, I'm sure you have something in mind and aren't just being a contrarian faggot, right?
>>
>>8027858
Wow a MS paint graph, you sure showed us.
>>
>>8027789
>regrow your telomeres once in a while
first its an experimental drug, then its an experimental treatment. i doubt people would have to keep taking pills for too long, it would turn into some kind of synthetic organ implant or other before too many centuries.

>>8027842
jesus christ everything about this post gave me cancer

>>8027858
>its impossible to sail around the world
>its impossible to make a heavier-than-air vehicle fly
>its impossible for a human to break the sound barrier
>its impossible to get a man into space
>its impossible to split an atom
>its impossible to stop human telomere breakdown
>its impossible to achieve friendly artificial intelligence
yup, weve finally found it. the first true impossibility. this ones different from all the others because anon's graph says so, silly head.
>>
File: arrow_of_thyme.gif (990 KB, 289x217) Image search: [Google]
arrow_of_thyme.gif
990 KB, 289x217
>>8027840
You're preachy but retarded and detached from reality.
>>
>>8027858
he posted it AGAIN!
>>
>>8027867
then you checked some sci-fi blog.

also stop using the word quantum.
>>
>>8027881
you're a retarded faggot.

now we're 1:1 ad hominem
>>
so guys, does this mean that shes going to live 20ish years longer than previously expected, that shes essentially 25 again, or neither?

will we have to wait until shes over 120 to know if this was all just some bullshit or not?
>>
File: 1436811987751.gif (893 KB, 450x252) Image search: [Google]
1436811987751.gif
893 KB, 450x252
>>8027901
My insult wasn't an ad hominem, you penis craving cocklord.
>>
>>8027858
>Reversing aging is impossible because I say so

Wew lad
>>
>>8027820
Biotechnology is really the practical application and implementation of various fields of life sciences, which is what her company does.

It's not a bad major if you're interested in stuff like the OP.
>>
>>8027936
She has the telomeres of a 24 year old.
>>
>>8027980
Can you explain to a retard what that means?
>>
>>8027984
She got new shock absorbers for her car.
>>
>>8027984
The telomeres are like caps at the end of each chromosome that protect them from deterioration.

Aging-related diseases are caused by telomere shortening. Telomere shortening is one way by which cellular aging happens aswell.
>>
>>8027842

> YA'LL READY FOR SOME YEVON???

No anon, I'm not ready, I taking the next bus to mars. Let the fools have their earth.
>>
File: 1461372289535.jpg (21 KB, 512x288) Image search: [Google]
1461372289535.jpg
21 KB, 512x288
>by the time you save up 100k they go bankrupt

lmao
>>
File: Batman feel.gif (933 KB, 400x300) Image search: [Google]
Batman feel.gif
933 KB, 400x300
>>8027607
>>
>>8027897
>stop saying quantum
It's a relatively new area of science that uses different laws, what you are asking me is to talk about medicine without saying genetics.
>>
>>8027313
>tfw anti aging technology will be widely and easily available by the time we've already died
>>
>>8028061
>>8027318
Is this the greatest tragedy in the history of mankind?
>>
>>8028066
no. we could have been born before anime existed.
>>
>>8028070
Imagine the billions of minds that lived and died without ever watching YuruYuri.
>>
>>8027619
>morality
>"hurr let's test people and make tests deciding who gets to live"
Anon, you're literally retarded
>>
File: Mark Zuckerberg Facebook.jpg (21 KB, 364x273) Image search: [Google]
Mark Zuckerberg Facebook.jpg
21 KB, 364x273
>>8027607
You won't make millions of friends without making a few enemies.
>>
>>8028053
I doubt you understand genetics either. So yeah stop mentioning genetics as well. In fact, just stop posting here, popsci faggot.
>>
>>8027787
>left-leaning
/sci/ isn't political at all. All you do is make fun of us CS dudes because you suffer from an inferiority complex.
>>
>>8028096
>insult the person and not the argument
Nice, very nice.
>>
>>8027787
Are you serious? This is literally the only SFW board where people scream NIGGER NIGGER NIGGER
>>
>>8028127
>This is literally the only SFW board where people scream NIGGER NIGGER NIGGER
I see you haven't been in many other blue boards then.
>>
>>8027787
not even close. entire 4chan is leaning to right including /sci/. You can spot leftist posts where they have nothing to do with science.
>>
File: giphy-1-1446998448.gif (1021 KB, 702x388) Image search: [Google]
giphy-1-1446998448.gif
1021 KB, 702x388
>>8027787
>/sci/ is one of the most left-leaning boards dude
Whatever helps you sleep at night, laddie.
>>
>>8028134
/o/ and /diy/ barely ever mention race and if they do it doesn't run to 300 replies of kangzposting
>>
>>8028147
I can spot your posting from all over /biz/ and /sci/ because of the filename on that gif you post all the time.

Don't destroy your anonymity even further, kiddo.
>>
>>8028163
I hardly ever go on /biz/, faggot. When you download this gif off of google images this is the filename. How does it feel to be retarded?
>>
>>8028127
>This is literally the only SFW board where people scream NIGGER NIGGER NIGGER

you should go to /tv/
>>
>>8028169
statistical improbability that two people on 4chinns are downloading the same gif from the same website
>>
>>8028182
Do you ever hear yourself, retard? It's less likely that you reply to the same faggot on two separate occasions on two different low-traffic boards.
>>
>>8028101
>>8028127
>>8028136
>>8028147
It's noteworthy that this sudden influx of posts came in USA peak posting times and when Yuros are asleep. Make of that what you will.

Anyway, you can find the thread with the political test that /sci/ took in the archives, the overwhelming majority were left-leaning, and that's including /pol/acks who visit here often.
>>
>>8028151
/lgbt/, /int/, /v/, /co/, /a/, /tv/ and /fit/ all bring this issue time and again.

Also you're spinning this as a race problem when in truth it's not, the bigsmethat mentality is everywhere nowadays, imagine immortal gibsmethat lazy retards.
>>
>>8028203
Depends on what you define as left-wing. If it means immortality, space-travel and robo-waifus, even your most radicalized /pol/ack would support it. On the other hand, I don't think people here are liberals who are keen on banning everything that hurts their feelings.
>>
>>8028203
Show me this mythical "evidence" of you that you keep bullshitting about in every thread. You can't claim majority as tiny leftists since leftist posts are easily spotted miles away which everyone can see that got nothing to do with science. Where Right winger posters(not talking about the extremists) don't make their political views apparent.
>>
>>8028238
>You can't claim majority as tiny leftists since leftist posts are easily spotted
This calls for an example.
>>
>>8028244
The SJW posters that made it their lives purpose to derail every thread they see ? I've you've never saw it, you'll get when you see one.
>>
>>8028238
>You can't claim majority as tiny leftists since leftist posts are easily spotted
kek, sad if you actually believe that. Somehow, I doubt it's leftists that go to every board and spam every thread with talk about niggers and races even if it has nothing to do on the subject. If alt-right wingers weren't so vocal and constantly triggered about their views you wouldn't think 4chan is "right-wing" as so many newfags ignorantly spout.
>>
>>8028252
Aha, so every leftist post comes from a SJW?
>>
>>8028253
well you just described left-wingers and called them right-wingers. The evolution denying, illiterate retards who are completely obscure on the facts of genetics, evolutionary traits and basically what makes us human deny the very basic facts and somehow relate them to racism so in their magical world everyone is identical. You can literally see them in every thread about genetics and race, trying to be as ignorant as possible.
>>
>>8028255
The ones that make themselves so easy to spot are.
>>
>>8028269
Then would it be correct to change your previous statement as follows:
>You can't claim majority as tiny leftists since leftist posts made by people who make easy spotted posts are easily spotted
>>
>>8027313
It's real ironic that /sci/ spent years laughing at women in science. If this turns out to be bunk /sci/ will jibe that she fucked up because she's a woman just like how Branson's spaceflight plans failed because he's a man....oh no it was because his company was incompetent.
>>
>>8028277
Yes. And if you count their numbers, they are a really tiny minority. And the right wingers and extremist right wingers are making the majority of the posts.
>>
>>8028289
>CEO
>Woman in science
>>
>>8028296
>Elon Musk
>Man in aerospace engineering
>>
>>8028305
And since he founded pay pal he must also be a man in finance and a man in computer science.
>>
>>8028151
>/o/ and /diy/ barely ever mention race and if they do it doesn't run to 300 replies of "gb2/pol/ retard".

/sci/ just hates retards from containment boards.
>>
>>8027313
This is only for white blood cells. You're going to need it for other cells in the body like neurons.
>>
>>8027619
>>8027710
>>8027756

HAHA FAGGOTS I WAS ONLY JOKING
MY POST WAS SATIRE AGAINST THE MASSES WHO ARE SO BRAIN DEAD THEY OPPOSE IMMORTALITY
>>
>>8028390
lel. how do you even immortality when your body is flooded with cancer and your skin looks like keith richards and your hair is fallen that you literally look like yoda. Age by oxidization is only one of the ways you die.
>>
This is shit research
>>
>>8028399
don't you see? brain immortality is the only real barrier to immortality, after that you can get a prosthetic body or have organ replacement surgery and genetic surgery and micro/nano machine therapy.
>>
>>8028411
And how do you achieve that ?
>>
>>8028420
You can't. It's literally impossible. Yet all these faggots from /r/futurology will continue to circle jerk about how we're getting immortality and a colony on mars in 2020.
>>
>>8028427
The future belongs to those who dare to dream
>>
>>8028427
Well the brain decays. It loses it's potency for memorizing. Even if you found a way to renew the DNA until forever you would only remember the last period and nothing more.

The only true immortality would be conserving the memory. Preferably in a digital medium. But then again, your memory is not what makes your cnosciousness. So you would turn into a pack of data files and technically wouldn't be alive or even conscious.
>>
>>8027619

>cant risk having immortal gimmedats on forever foodstamps

Are you seriously suggesting that a demographic of people who supposedly all violate drug law are magically going to be detered by laws against immortality drugs?

No - they'll just start cooking up stem cells and TERT alongside their meth. Things like 3D printing will only make drugs and biotech less regulatable. I've seen people plunge into synthetic cannabinoids - I've seen them evaporate solvents with industrial blowdryers, yielding Spice-laced parsley.

They tend to be hyperchondriacs, and talk to each other incessently about what the specific molecules they're smoking are doing to their bodies. Invariably, Spice has either given them cancer or turned them into gods who say, "I know everything!"

They've spoken about immortality in these terms, and I honestly think they're insane and rich enough to do it - Spice is expensive. Have fun fighting them, the body mod freaks, transsexuals, furries, people who want to be robots, and rich Arabs.
>>
>>8028463
sounds cyberpunk as fuck
awesome

join me and my band of neo templars.
>>
>>8027313
Shouldn't have used John Travolta's stem cells.
>>
>>8028487

>join me and my band of neo templars

Is that the group I vaguely remember from that /x/ thread?

According to science and legend, the Buddha started six shops - one of them was an Ambrosia shop. I want to open up a shop that sells immortality and godlike physical capacities for $0.00.

I'd look for homeless people and drug addicts, and make them immortal supermen, just to piss off >>8027619 and people like him.
>>
>>8028565
that would create a lot of problems and super villians

i'm afraid you can't join my neo templars
>>
>>8027313
>this service my company offers definitely works!
okay.
>>
File: 1455725893693.gif (760 KB, 370x222) Image search: [Google]
1455725893693.gif
760 KB, 370x222
Who would actually want to be immortal? I'm guessing everyone in this thread is younger than middle aged. Can the human mind even imagine how long 300, or a thousand years are?
>>
File: image.jpg (3 MB, 2400x1999) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
3 MB, 2400x1999
These fuckers are immortal cancer
>>
>>8028571
>that would create a lot of problems and super villians
Problems, sure, but super villains??
>>
>>8028626
>Who would actually want to be immortal?
Everyone.
Never mind "forever", just being young for an indefinite period would be any old person's heart's desire.
source: the oldest Anon on 4chan (51)
>>
>>8028642
Aren't there better ways to bring about immortality? There was a thread just yesterday about the singularity and the idea of mechanical transhumanism. I wouldn't want to spend an indefinite amount of time in this, relatively weak and imperfect body.
>>
>>8028642
>source: the oldest Anon on 4chan (51)

wow, hows the weather up there?
>>
>>8028640
sure imagine an immortal crackhead
that would even be his super villian name.

going around sucking dick for crack forever and ever.

total chaos
>>
>eat nothing but junk food and energy drinks but am thin and in-shape otherwise
>will be able to pay someone to extend my life indefinitely
health-food fags cucked hard ahahahaha
>>
>>8028659
"immortality" implies freedom from death of old age/disease

You could still shoot a crackhead if you needed to
>>
>>8028664
666 get
>>
File: 1433953562027.jpg (102 KB, 614x581) Image search: [Google]
1433953562027.jpg
102 KB, 614x581
>>8027313
immortal women will suck and take even more cocks than they do now
>>
File: papafranku.jpg (74 KB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
papafranku.jpg
74 KB, 1920x1080
What is the point of living forever? What is the point of pursuing more pain?
>>
Fuck that shit, humans weren't meant to be that way. I'd rather age naturally and die.

I do hope reincarnation is real, though.
>>
>>8028661
Hey genius, they said life extension due to aging, not a complete replacement of all your veins, arteries and organs.

When you're 150 you'll be made up of plastic tubes while we'll still be running marathons.
>>
>>8027313
What's scary about this is when the black market gets it. Criminals have had no problem getting drugs and surgeries to sell in the past what's going to stop them from doing this? I mean sure we probably won't see crack dealers start up biohacking/genemod businesses but some shady people will find a way.
There's all ready DIY genetic engineering who knows what else they'll be
>>
>>8028819
we must embrace the chaos if we hope to evolve as a species

eventually we will all have to be united under a single hivemind so we can all monitor each other all the time.
>>
>>8028728
>implying I won't be able to run a marathon better than you with an artificial heart
Biofags cucked again!
>>
>>8028825
If today it is possible to buy all the equipment you need to genetically engineer plants and animals in the comfort of your home, what happens when you can do this with humans? Think about the shady "surgeons" that give people implants. There was a porn star caught give ass shots a few years back and she wasn't too smart. Imagine if some organized crime group starts getting in the business. Instead of selling cocaine cartels will start selling youth drugs or gene mods to give you the perfect body
>>
File: 1458924738111.png (1 MB, 1280x720) Image search: [Google]
1458924738111.png
1 MB, 1280x720
>>8028072
Don't speak of such horrors anon
>>
>>8028693
To watch more frank's videos.
We should crowdfund immortality for him, so he will never be free from the pain of being alive.
>>
File: 1457754724929.gif (7 KB, 118x151) Image search: [Google]
1457754724929.gif
7 KB, 118x151
>>8027313
Somebody stop this. She's messing with the SAVE files.
Our reports showed a massive anomaly in the timespace continuum. timelines jumping left and right, starting and stopping... until suddenly, everything ends.
>>
>>8028719
You are the definition of a castrated cuck.
Please end your life right now.
>>
>>8027588
Sorry man I didn't know.
How could I have known?
The past is unchanging and always the past..
>>
>"hurr let's test people and make tests deciding who gets to live"
You are the retard, he never said to kill those who fail the test.
>>
>>8029106
>>>/tumblr/
>>
>>8027332
Ok, so cancer will get me. But odds are I live healthier till then. Even if my lifespan doesn't change, I want my living years to be healthier.
>>
File: 1456224902121.jpg (76 KB, 528x565) Image search: [Google]
1456224902121.jpg
76 KB, 528x565
>>8028719
>I want to live forever, but not in a practical sense.
>I'd rather put my hopes in an unverifiable process we have no reason to believe exists.

retard
>>
>>8028203
oh, sorry, NIGGER NIGGER NIGGER
>>
>>8028693
This.

It's not even pain, it's the boredom too.

This is the reason why everyone over the age of 40 starts to mentally check out. Shit starts to become repetitive and stale. "God, please just let me die" by the time you're 70. "Midlife crisis" is you trying to reclaim that feeling of "newness" from your youth. It's not a physical tired, it's a mental tired.

This is why old people don't give a fuck about what young people are into, they've been there & done that. Youthful inexperience is boring, vapid, and trite.
>>
What happens when her telomeres don't stop growing? They could erupt out of her every cell and consume her in their thirst for continued growth before moving on to other nearby humans. I'm not exactly sure what a telomere is but I know I wouldn't like to be eaten by one and neither should you.
>>
>>8027318
They died, so that we could ride eternal.
>>
>>8028728

>When you're 150 you'll be made up of plastic tubes while we'll still be running marathons

The people made of plastic tubes will be the better ones.
>>
>>8029703
"Midlife crisis" is a myth.
That 50yo with the sports car has wanted one since he was 20.

People in their 30s-40s "mentally checking out" is completely true though.
>>
>>8027627
Your post is wishful thinking combined with ignorance of the topic. Anon is right. Older people have an increased rate of cancer because the probability of cancer increases with each breath you take.
>>
>>8029703
>it's the boredom too
This was and still is the weakest argument anti-immortality. Our hedonistic pleasure system would most likely make it so that immortal people are equally bored as mortal people.
>>
>>8029703
>it's the boredom too
Jesus fucking Christ. There is so much media to consume, so much stuff to learn, so much places to explore. I have media that will last me several lifetimes, getting a chance to view it all would be fantastic.
>>
I know shit about Biology. Don't telomeres hold your chromosomes? If so, how are they reconstructing it? Don't they need to know what the code was like to reconstruct it?
>>
Is the age of 2000 year old loli vampires finally here?
>>
File: Hardiman_left_arm_hand_x640.jpg (346 KB, 640x857) Image search: [Google]
Hardiman_left_arm_hand_x640.jpg
346 KB, 640x857
>>8029703
Dying is for pussies.
WE CAN MAKE A BETTER MAN.. ONE THAT DOESN'T GET MENTALLY TIRED
>>
Eternal life is the mark of the beast. He who loves the world shall not see the kingdom of heaven.
>>
Better start a diary and taking more photos. The brain ain't geting any better at handling longterm memory and you might forget who you are on the long run.
>>
>>8027314
>extended her life by 20 years
You can't possibly know that until she dies.
[spoiler]She's not already dead, is she?[/spoiler]
>>
File: 24430_1228611960_large.jpg (591 KB, 1600x1226) Image search: [Google]
24430_1228611960_large.jpg
591 KB, 1600x1226
>>8031760
Dead killy, 'e is.
>>
>>8027627
>>8027532
>>8027526
Unrelated anon here.

It seems to me that you've fallen for a relatively common misconception, namely that the immune system is anything but nigh useless against most if not all types of cancer without medical intervention.

The cellular immune system detects and eliminates threats with a very limited amount of methods:

#1: Detection of foreign matter, either in solution or presented on the surface of host cells, most often but not limited to peptide fragments. Cancerous cells do not contain any recognizable foreign peptides, and also won't excrete these to the extracellular fluid, so this method is useless against cancerous cells.

#2: Recognition of surface receptors (implying that cells with non-recognizable receptors will be attacked). This method is also almost useless, as the odds of a cancerous cell (e.g. mutated exons 1, 2 and 3) also having several surface receptor mutations are astronomically small to the point where you're more likely to win the lottery ten times in a row without even playing.

#3: Response to cytokines (signalling molecules) released by infected cells. This does not apply to cancerous cells, as cancerous cells (or any cell) won't recognize parts of themselves as foreign matter, and thus won't emit cytokines.

If you get a single cancerous cell that circumvents the apoptosis- and growth inhibition triggers, you will be fucked without medical intervention. The only question is how fast you will be fucked, and that depends on the rate of cancerous cell mitosis and degree of metastasis.

TL;DR: The immune system is cool, but it sucks ass at fighting cancer.
>>
>>8031781
You can. It's called biomarkers
>>
>>8031854
Bullshit. Car accidents, AIDS, all sorts of stuff. Her life could end at any time in the future. You can't possibly tell how long someone is going to live until they die.
>>
>>8031856
Are you retarded?
>>
>>8031858
Yes, but a stopped watch is right twice a day.
>>
>>8031856
topkek
>>
Yeah, because just having more people live longer hasn't already effectively destroyed the pension system.
>>
>>8031904
If we able to achieve this then our entire society would have to change and I mean 180 on almost everything, but then again we have Islam and religion in general that won't allow this kind of scientific stride.
>>
>>8031947
No religion I know approves this.Don't single out islam
>>
>>8031955
I meant Islam would be most radical in this case and Christianity close by
>>
>>8031957
>An increasingly irreligious Western world turning down immortality for an unproven afterlife.

Yeah nah, your primary goal should be getting enough money to afford this stuff since it'll cost out the ass and not be covered by insurance.
>>
>>8031860

not if it's set to military time.
>>
>>8027314
>pic. related is the woman who injected herself with the gene therapy and extended her life by 20 years
>and extended her life by 20 years
I enjoy /sci/ence fiction from time to time too.
>>
>>8031964
I wouldnt want to live forever, that would be boring as fuck.
>>
>>8032075
>tomorrow doesn't matter
>because there will always be a tomorrow after that
>puts off things that need to be done today because they can always be done tomorrow
>doesn't rake the leaves for 80 years
Those with living to do will end up just making them slaves. After all, they have all the time in the world, what difference does it make to them?
>>
>>8032089
Imagine living 2-300 years just to get hit by a car m8

No thanks.
>>
>>8027681
>>8027715
I agree but you should pick your battles better.
>>
>>8027313
Fuck yeah one eternity of shitposting here I come.

I sure hope you guys weren't planning on using the universe for anything productive.
>>
File: Icamehereforthis.gif (1 MB, 207x207) Image search: [Google]
Icamehereforthis.gif
1 MB, 207x207
I'll laugh at boomers and other faggots when they realize that this is in a grasp and they probably won't live enough to achieve it.

Also, can you imagine the realization of people who lived only in today and had no long term vision? Who laughed at people who cared about Earth?

>anon, why our planet is dying?
>anon, why our rain is acid?
>anon, why there is no fish?
>anon, our crops are dying
>anon, anon why temperature average is 50C?
>>
>>8032429
Immortality is even more reason to stop giving a shit about the Earth, the sooner it's depleted the sooner we head for the next earth in another solar system. You don't start driving to the gas station until you need to get gas.
>>
>>8027601
>>8027610

It's about more than that.
There's now a possibility of George Soros and everyone in the Bilderberg group living forever, escaping the ultimate equalizer. That's not just scary. It's downright fucking terrifying. There's always been that hard cap on tyranny by the masses or by the individual. People die, information is spread to younger, fresher minds, a different world is born. That's not to say that the world we have NOW is particularly good, but imagine if everything that could possibly go wrong right now went wrong, and then the people who caused it were made immortal.
Imagine a boot, stomping on a human face -- forever.
>>
>>8032449
The earth will be "the" planet for a long time.Its where we evolved.and it has just the right gravity for us
>>
>>8032449
>Implying the ability go to another earth-like planet is within our grasp
>Implying we won't just boil to death before then
>>
>>8032449
I really doubt that. If it really becomes mainstream and not some niche thing that is heavily regulated, I can see how climate change will fuck everyone in the ass.

Our space industry isn't that advanced to move huge amount of people to different planets let alone systems.
>>
>>8032461
>>8032476
>>8032478
>eternal
>life
>in prison
>>
>>8032456
>>8032483
Sweet sassy molassy! Where do I sign up?!?!
>>
>>8032429
>unironically using immortality as an excuse to try to get people to be more environmentally conscious
If you have to give someone immortality to make them care, your priorities are wrong.
>>
>>8027313
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6qTPl5Do8mQ
>>
>>8032429

>I'll laugh at boomers and other faggots when they realize that this is in a grasp and they probably won't live enough to achieve it.

You are a terrible person. This could very well be future kids talking about us.
>>
File: 1457665171741.png (9 KB, 362x358) Image search: [Google]
1457665171741.png
9 KB, 362x358
SO I DONT UNDERSTAND???

DOES THIS MEAN THAT IN 20 YEARS SHE WILL LOOK EXACTLY THE SAME?

LIKE NOTHING AT ALL WILL AGE? HER FACE/ORGANS/SKINS/HAIR COLOR ETC??

THIS HAS TO BE GRADE A USDA PRIME CUT BULLSHIT
>>
If it's not .gov or .edu or .org then it's not worth caring about.
https://scholar.google.com
Is the engine you're supposed to use, not http://google.com

Learn the difference please.
Also, 60% of neuroscience isn't science.
>>
>>8031762
tru
>>
>>8032075
You say that now, but I don't think anyone really wants to die except for the curious. If I was immortal and ready to leave the world I'd just pay to be put in comatose for a few decades.
>>
File: 1457281841426.jpg (40 KB, 680x848) Image search: [Google]
1457281841426.jpg
40 KB, 680x848
Wait wait, is sci really agreeing with this?
might this actually work or wtf is going here, can this REALLY work???
>>
File: 3166.jpg (233 KB, 1635x1656) Image search: [Google]
3166.jpg
233 KB, 1635x1656
>>8032625
DELETE THIS
>>
>>8032456
fugg that didnt even cross my mind tbphwy
>>
>>8032625
>Also, 60% of neuroscience isn't science.
wat
>>
File: Untitled4.png (163 KB, 500x383) Image search: [Google]
Untitled4.png
163 KB, 500x383
>>8032621

SOMEONE ANSWER THIS
>>
>>8032633
>I don't think anyone really wants to die
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_countries_by_suicide_rate
You should have to pass some kind of test to post on this board, too many retards itt.
>>
>>8032658
anyone that cant make the distinction between killing oneself because of extreme emotion and killing oneself because they've lived long enough to be bored of life is the real retard
>>
>>8032643
Turns out most of the "science" from "scientific" studies is unrepeatable.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC1182327/

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Reproducibility_Project#cite_note-4

>One earlier study found that around $28 billion worth of research per year in medical fields is non-reproducible.
>>
>>8032625
what the fuck
>>
>>8032621

LITERALLY NO ONE CAN ANSWER THIS QUESTION BECAUSE NO ONE HAS FUCK ALL CLUE WHAT THE HELL THIS SHIT REALLY IS/DOES
>>
File: 5862576254.jpg (39 KB, 500x500) Image search: [Google]
5862576254.jpg
39 KB, 500x500
>>8032671
I'd say someone who killed themselves definitely wanted to die.

PROVING YOU TO BE THE RETARD. BOOM

R O A S T E D
O
A
S
T
E
D
>>
>>8027313
Too much makeup
>>
>>8027313
>lengthening telomeres
>corresponding 1:1 with age

Were it so easy. There are probably 100 things that fuck up all at once that are responsible for the bulk aging effect, and you'll probably only live 150 years if you treat 99 of them.
>>
>>8032674
>medical fields
Doesn't surprise me desu. The fervor that permeates the industry for disease cures has sprung a lot of "scientific" medical studies that are not reproducible. It has also sprung correlation studies about all sorts of factors that """cause""" cancer, a lot of time without considering what other interactions could have brought by the end result. Sad that we get these correlation studies instead of more fundamental cancer biology research.

Don't see what this has to do with neuroscience though, which is what I was quoting.
>>
>>8032716
>only 150 years
That would still be an exceptional leap forward over the current max average age of ~70-80. Virtually doubling our lifespans isn't something to scoff at.
>>
Isn't she the crazy lady that promotes National Psychiatry and tried to encourage regulation on food in schools, declaring peanut butter mankind's worst enemy and worse than the a-bomb?
>>
>>8027313
>find "secret to immortality"
>end up only living 105 y/o because of biological limiter
>find "secret to immortality" again
>end up only living 110 y/o because of biological limiter
>find "secret to immortality" again
>end up only living 115 y/o because of biological limiter
etc.
Immortality is literally impossible, anon.
>>
>>8032772
People have lived to over 120, shithead.
>>
>>8033031
Outliers are particularly unhelpful in addressing mortality and senescence. Particularly. You really shouldn't attach emotional charging to outliers.
>>
>>8027858
1. It should say current year, not 2013.
2. The graphs should diverge only after point mentioned.
>>
>>8033079
No, you don't get a sliding date for your delusions. If it didn't happen in 2013, and again in 2082, then you stop purporting bullshit god-like increases in what technology is capable of without factoring in what's currently possible. 2013 is a fine date for us to stop pandering to singularity fantasies.
>>
>be immortal
>get life sentence
>or some bad actor keeps you locked up in a basement literally forever

being immortal might be the punishment itself
>>
>>8027627
5/10 for effort
>>
>>8027313
People need to understand that radical life extension and immortality are completely different things.

With the right damage repair regimen, a human being could last at least 400 or 500 years, perhaps a lot longer, before hitting the wall of entropy. It's just that damage repair is complicated because of the complexity of the body and the fact that we don't understand it well.

But ultimately, radical life extension is just an engineering problem, not magic. It's possible to keep a human body humming for centuries just like it is to keep an old-fashioned car running an order of magnitude longer than its normal lifespan just using world class repair expertise.
>>
>>8032772
You are describing LEV, lel
>>
>>8032772
>end up only living to 1057 y/o because you kill yourself from boredom

I knew I shouldn't have watched all the good TV and read all the good books before the age of 500. Gotta pace yourself
>>
>>8028289
She doesn't have any background in science though
>>
File: le cure to aging.png (571 KB, 778x758) Image search: [Google]
le cure to aging.png
571 KB, 778x758
REPAIR MY DAMAGE
>>
>>8033701
REPAIR MY DAMAGE
>>
>>8033701
REPAIR MY DAMAGE

Also the hell is "Longevity escape velocity".
>>
>>8033896
According to Aubrey's theory we will advance our medical field to the point where human life expectancy will increase by tangible amounts over a period of a few years.

Imagine that in the year 2025 our life expectancy is 94 years of age, then in 2026 our life expectancy is 95. Once our life expectancy increases faster than this, by more than 1 year per year, then you have reached longevity escape velocity, and theoretically you would no longer be ageing. I believe he mentions this in his TED talk, though I haven't watched it in ages.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8iYpxRXlboQ
Thread replies: 255
Thread images: 40

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.