[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Is Modafinil a Meme?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /sci/ - Science & Math

Thread replies: 25
Thread images: 4
File: 634590201.jpg (5 KB, 300x225) Image search: [Google]
634590201.jpg
5 KB, 300x225
I've read so much about modafinil (Provigil) being some sort of super-drug. That it's a powerful cognitive enhancer that will turn you into a hyper-focused, indefatigable ubermensch. I've read that it's the new adderall and the drug of choice for silicon valley executives. I've even read scaremongering articles which warn about how modafinil will radically change society and create a class division between those on it and everyone else.

I've been on stimulants before (adderall, ritalin) for months at a time, so I'm familiar with how they affect you in terms of energy, motivation, ability to focus, etc.

However, last year I got a few month prescription for modafinil. It literally did nothing. I started out at 100 mg per day, and I felt absolutely no cognitive changes (or even physical side effects for that matter). After about a week at that dosage, I experimented with 150 mg per day and 200 mg per day. Neither of these did anything other than to give me a headache and make me dehydrated.

I continued taking 100 mg per day for another few months, and I experienced absolutely no change in my feelings of tiredness, my ability to focus, or anything else.

So, am I just an anomaly or is modafinil no better than placebo? Apparently it has some benefits for narcoleptics, but are all of these normal healthy people who take it just really gullible? I don't get it.
>>
>>8019025
modafinil sucks compared to adderall , try noopept or selank/semax (ceлaнк/ceмaх)
>>
It's just good for not sleeping. It can make you skip one or a couple of nights in a row depending on your sensitivity to it, and has no crash effect like coffee. That's it. It has no cognitive enhancement effects and it's not supposed to.

Of course if you are on the 2nd day of no sleep, your cognition will be "enhanced" compared to if you stayed awake without taking anything.
>>
>>8019025
its a fucking meme.

i just spent the past 4 days trying it (family member has a prescription)

first day tried 100mg, second 200mg, third and fourth days 250mg

no improved performance in studying/learning, no increased motivation

the only effect was increased heartrate (maybe 4-6bpm increase?)

MEME
E
M
E
>>
>>8019025
I was prescribed adderall, and then modafinil for idiopathic hypersomina. The adderall gave me headaches so I stopped on doc's advice but the later modafinil did nothing and in retrospect, if it had been a placebo, I wouldn't've been surprised.
>>
When I take modafinil, I go full aspergers concentration mode. I can crank out code for like 10 hours straight, only stopping to piss.
>>
>>8019443
And that just the thing. It just prevents tiredness. But even though it helps you work for a longer time, I don't think you are more focused than when you work without it.
>>
>>8019443
PLACEBO
P
L
A
C
E
B
O
>>
File: CCwdwxi.jpg (172 KB, 1600x841) Image search: [Google]
CCwdwxi.jpg
172 KB, 1600x841
>>8019457
>>8019454
>>8019313
wrong wrong wrong
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/19037200

It's basically a kind of dopamine reuptake inhibitor.

The thing is, an unusually high percentage of people are nonresponders for this kind of drug, so those of you in the thread reporting no effect likely are one of them.

>>Two-time 100 mg modafinil potently improved vigor and well-being, and maintained baseline performance with respect to executive functioning and vigilant attention throughout sleep deprivation in Val/Val genotype subjects but was hardly effective in subjects with the Met/Met genotype.
>>
>>8019464
>dopamine reuptake inhibitor
Translation for those of us not into soft sciences?
>>
>>8019476
it stops the reabsorption of dopamine from your brain into the blood, which technically increases the effect of your normal dopamine levels since your nervous system is exposed to it over a longer timeframe
>>
>>8019476
the cells in your brain communicate through small chemical messengers called neurotransmitters, one of these neurotransmitters is dopamine, which has been implicated in pleasure and addiction. Cocaine acts on dopamine, and so do some antidepressants. the "reuptake inhibitor" part means that when one brain cell absorbs dopamine from another brain cell, its reuptake (ie the return of the extra, not-absorbed dopamine to the original cell), is prevented. So basically, a dopamine reuptake inhibitor increases the effects of dopamine (making you feel good) without increasing the amount of dopamine.
>>
>>8019464
> guys muh one study

have you even heard of the replication crisis in biology and medicine?

read any popper?

youre a joke of a /sci/entist
>>
>>8019482
>>8019485
Thanks, sounds bretty good.
>>
>>8019487
you got fucking problems man
>>
>>8019464
>http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/19037200
>inductive argument
>taken seriously

pathetic field
>>
>>8019489
you must be one of those that jerk off to a p-value < 0.05
>>
you're reading marketing.

moda is garbage compared to amphetamines. it will make you not tired (for me even this effect was debatable, it made me fatigued in a strange way), but gives you very little in the way of motivation, drive or focus. for me it also had more side effects than amphetamines and felt like a dirty drug in general.
>>
meth is the only stimulant worth the time, modafinil's for pussies
>>
>>8019305
/thread
>>
Stimulants are a mixed bag for me, but mod helps with my focus a bit if I'm well rested.
>>
File: 1456741255564.jpg (76 KB, 500x557) Image search: [Google]
1456741255564.jpg
76 KB, 500x557
what about ritalin friends?

NZ is really conservative with drugs but i got diagnosed with ADHD and can get ritalin if i want it

is it a meme/ jewish mindcontrol?
>>
I've had good experience with Modafinil. It definitely cranks my focus and energy through the roof. I find that it takes 45 minutes to activate, then wears off very suddenly after 6 hours. I need to take a strong dose of citicoline alongside it or I crash hard when it wears off. I also include ubiquinol, PQQ, L-theanine, yohimbine HCl, and a bunch of other stuff in my stack. And I wash it down with strong coffee.
>>
>>8020926
>not using the One True Amphetamine
>not being in the company of respected intellectuals like Erdős
>>
>>8022224
Meth is like a rolls royce phantom, Amp. sulfate is like a horse-drawn cart. There's no contest, erdos is a dead and irrelevant nerd with a shit choice in drugs.
Thread replies: 25
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.