[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Ask a failure of STEM phd student at a top 10 college in the
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /sci/ - Science & Math

Thread replies: 28
Thread images: 5
File: jon-snow.jpg (107 KB, 800x534) Image search: [Google]
jon-snow.jpg
107 KB, 800x534
Ask a failure of STEM phd student at a top 10 college in the world anything
>>
what's your favorite meme ?
>>
>>8018711
What field?
Did you quit or worse?

It will be OK, you will be fine.
>>
>>8018711
It's literally impossible to fail a PhD. How did you do it?
>>
>>8018711
What are you even saying?
>>
How old are you?
How's your sex life?
How did it change during the last 4 years?
>>
>>8018711
I don't give a fuck about you, loser. Fuck off.
>>
What do you mean you "failed" your phd? Your research hit a dead end? Your thesis was garbage and needs to be rewritten?
>>
>>8018722
Not impossible if you do experimental research. Happened to a few fellow students during my PhD: their equipment blew up and the university had no money or resources to fix it. So they spent years on rewiring and stuff rather than real research. In the end they gave up.

PhD studies can be high risk. And let us not forget the lab accident thread a few weeks ago, research can kill you.
>>
File: 1333399631381.png (81 KB, 395x394) Image search: [Google]
1333399631381.png
81 KB, 395x394
>>8018770
>they gave up.
Well sure

If you aren't a pussy it is still possible to finish even if shit gets real.
>>
>>8018786
The university won't keep funding you if you take 10 years to finish your PhD.
>>
>>8018770
Reminds me of a guy in one of my neighbouring labs who lost 4 external drives worth of data, basically his entire experimental work, to a burglar.

He quit.
>>
File: 1384108769196.gif (3 MB, 419x384) Image search: [Google]
1384108769196.gif
3 MB, 419x384
>>8018790
>take 10 years to finish
A colleague of mine took this long and stil managed it.

But yeah, I agree. Losers like you are doomed to fail. Why did you even try?
>>
>>8018711
Why did you fail?

Come on fag, you have a phd and you can't wake up and do something......
>>
>>8018797
Why didn't he have backups? There are servers storage for this very reason.
>>
>>8018711
do you feel in charge?
>>
>>8018866
Lotta hostility for a hired student.
>>
File: black-woman-attitude_4523[1].jpg (26 KB, 320x263) Image search: [Google]
black-woman-attitude_4523[1].jpg
26 KB, 320x263
>>8018866
nahaaaa gurl you ain't sassin me like dat
>>
>>8018866
If you're going to bitch and act hostile so you can drag out this thread, then I'm just gonna leave and not give you any more attention.
>>
>>8018866
shocking that this wonderful specimen of a human didn't complete his graduate program.
>>
>Ask me anything
>Doesn't give one single useful answer
good job you retard
>>
>Real Name
>Where do you go?
>Are you going to shoot it up?
>When?
>Where do you get your weapons?

Thank me later FBI.
>>
>>8018866
Whoa how the fuck did they let this guy into a phD program.
>>
>>8019277
Maybe this explain his failure
>>
>>8018866
>I want to kill myself every fucking day by unscrewing all Helium cylinders in the lab

Do it.
>>
File: LOL.jpg (45 KB, 400x300) Image search: [Google]
LOL.jpg
45 KB, 400x300
>>8018866
>he deleted it
>>
this thread lmao
>>
>>8018786
In the UK the universities are penalised if PhD students have not completed their studies within 4 or 5 years. this rule was getting enforced when I was a student so the rules changed with retroactive effect. It used to be that universities could mask this by giving the PhD students an unpaid research assistantship but the government would not have any of it.

Also lab space is very restricted so old experimental equipment would be repurposed. One of the students I referred to in >>8018770
continued his experiments even after officially leaving the universities and got a job while going back to the labs in the evenings. Stamina does not help when your equipment and your lab space is taken away from you.

I guess you have never been a PhD student.
Thread replies: 28
Thread images: 5

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.