[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Why are people who search for aliens on Mars ridiculed? So long
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /sci/ - Science & Math

Thread replies: 32
Thread images: 4
File: mars crab.jpg (44 KB, 634x300) Image search: [Google]
mars crab.jpg
44 KB, 634x300
Why are people who search for aliens on Mars ridiculed? So long as they are prepared to accept the debunking if there is one then I don't see the problem? It is well known that Mars was very like habitable in the past, been around for billions of years, is a huge planet tens of thousands of kilometers in circumference and we've explored barely any of it. Just a couple of small hills with rovers, that's it There could be an artifact or two sticking out of the dust somewhere and we don't know. Even if they don't find ayys they are still helping the mission by pointing out interesting rock formations and keeping the public who are you know, paying for the mission engaged.
>>
DUDE AYYLIENS LMAO
R U TINFOIL SON ? U BELIVE IN PONIES TOO ?
DUDE WAT R U SMOKIN LEL ? ALIENS xDD
CONSPIRITARD LMAO
>>>/xxxXXXXXXXxxxx/<<<
>>
>>8018345
Everytime we learn something about Mars, the less likely life, even microbial, becomes. Something such as an animal running around is almost garunteed to be bullshit, but life in total is not out of the question. The lack of atmosphere would give bombardments of UV rays and mutations out the wazoo (assuming they use DNA), so anything that reproduces would have a problem upholding fertility.
>>
>>8018359
I was talking about evidence of past life. Even existing life is still possible though, underground water away from radiation, those weird methane signatures. I don't see anything in the science book that says past or present ayys on Mars is completely impossible.
>>
mars is an old dead world
nobody cares about evidence of past microbial life
people dont want other worlds they want other earths
>>
>>8018430
>extraterrestrial microbial life
>nobody cares
>>
>>8018345
No, there's nothing wrong with it, but anyone who is doing said searching via rover data is an absolutely idiot. We aren't going to find life with the rovers, they've been specifically located in areas where we would have the least chance of finding life on Mars.

What you have to understand is that we know of life on Mars right now, but it's not Martian. We've brought bacteria over. This, among other reasons, is why you see the builders of these rovers and satellites wearing steryl protection, to reduce the amount of terrestrial bacteria that will contaminate the system.

There are specific locations on Mars where we will find life (the usage of "will" is intentional), such as near the poles, however we have to avoid going there until we are technologically ready to conduct meaningful research without contaminating the environment.

I'd put good money on the discovery of Martian life happening as soon as we put boots on the ground, give them a shovel, and that sample making it back to Earth.

Also, this life will purely be microbes and bacteria. Mars lost its atmosphere too quickly to have had complex plant and animal life.
>>
>>8018460
People want to see aliens with spaceships and ray guns. Discovery of microbial life wont change a thing about our society.
>>
>>8018477
couldn't we just make a probe that could send a sample back?
is that harder than i think?
>>
>>8018345
>It is well known that Mars was very like habitable in the past
que?
>>
>>8018487
>Discovery of microbial life wont change a thing about our society.
We went through this many years ago, when NASA announced they had found what were likely microbial fossils.
Nobody cared.
And mostly not because the results were so inconclusive, but because 99.9% of the general public just doesn't care.
>>
>>8018477
>No, there's nothing wrong with it, but anyone who is doing said searching via rover data is an absolutely idiot. We aren't going to find life with the rovers, they've been specifically located in areas where we would have the least chance of finding life on Mars.
As I said before I was talking about artefacts like a bug fossil or a shopping mall depending on how tinfoil you are. I am aware that the surface is too bathed in radiation for there to be any complex current life.
>There are specific locations on Mars where we will find life (the usage of "will" is intentional)
Glad you are a believer
>however we have to avoid going there until we are technologically ready to conduct meaningful research
Will this ever happen? we ballsed up even that underground Antarctic lake mission to find prehistoric life
>Mars lost its atmosphere too quickly to have had complex plant and animal life
How quickly was it exactly? A lot can happen in a million years which is quick in planet years.
>>
File: E10.jpg (872 KB, 1371x859) Image search: [Google]
E10.jpg
872 KB, 1371x859
>yfw we've NEVER looked underneath Mars' surface

Imagine a moderately advanced civilization in Mars' distant pass suddenly realizing that their magnetosphere was going to go kaput resulting in the destruction of their atmosphere. What would the most likely course of action of such a civilization be... hmm...
>>
>>8018505
Build a machine without letting any part of it come into contact with air. This machine needs to travel to Mars, do shit, and come back.
Hell, try building a watch that's totally sterile.
>>
>>8018487
If we find bugs on mars then people will finally take alien spacecraft seriously because if there's two planets with life in our solar system alone despite one being harsh as fuck then that's Fermi Paradox BTFO. All those Kepler exoplanets, full of flying saucer dealerships.
>>
>>8018520
>moderately advanced civilization in Mars' distant pass
>Not one single piece of evidence on the surface that anyone or anything was ever there

thats just retarded. there would be some ruins visible on the surface if a civilization lived there.
>>
>>8018523
>If we find bugs on mars then people will finally take alien spacecraft seriously
No they wont. Bugs dont build spacecraft. Nobody would give a shit.

>there's two planets with life in our solar system
Which wouldn't be a revelation. The Galilean moons probably have simple life swimming around inside them.

>Fermi Paradox BTFO
Fermi paradox deals with lack of evidence in the observable universe of intelligent space fairing civilizations.
>>
>>8018524
not him but did you ever see that tv show 'life after people'?
>>
>>8018512
No it's because the results were inconclusive and they were fossils i.e dead. Real life moving bugs, Earth would sperg out.
>>8018520
Why haven't we sent an orbiter with ground penetrating radar? It exists, NASA is planning on sending one to Europa.
>>8018524
That's precisely OP's point, therefore it's worth looking.
>>
>>8018539
Not him, but all of that shit is unlikely to happen on a geologically dead planet.
>>
>>8018547
right of course duh
>>
>>8018524
>there would be some ruins visible on the surface if a civilization lived there.
How do you?
>>
>>8018538
>Fermi paradox deals with lack of evidence in the observable universe of intelligent space fairing civilizations
The typical fedora explanation is to say that Earth is the only planet with life, it was all a freak one in a trillion accident, there's no life anywhere else. If there's other life in the solar system then there simply has to be life on every other star system out there, we just haven't found it yet.

>Bugs dont build spacecraft. Nobody would give a shit.

Everyone freaked out over the Mars crab, crustaceans can't build spacecraft.

>The Galilean moons probably have simple life swimming around inside them.
And that will freak people out even harder, big tentacled things just like in the movies

I notice now that us alien hunters are slowly being vindcated you are doing heavy damage control
>"Yeah, yeah aliens are real but it's nothing guys! Bugs on Mars, squid on Jupiter, it's not interesting, nobody will care, they are not in saucers so why bother running the story?"
>>
>>8018345
>There could be an artifact or two sticking out of the dust somewhere
Mars has been sandblasted for millennia. Any artifacts would be obliterated by now.

Since the probes cannot be sufficiently sterilized presently they are not permitted to visit areas where life could potentially exist today.

I read somewhere (BBC?) that it seems Mars had flowing water before Earth did so life could have had a head start. Since we know very little about the formation of life and how it develops it wold be pure guesswork to say anything about how advanced life there could have become before it finally became the desert planet we know it as today.

Having said that it is possible that DNA came from Earth to Mars by asteroid impacts. In that case life on Mars could potentially be dangerous to life on Earth and I guess NASA would hesitate in bringing samples to Earth.
>>
File: sky.jpg (60 KB, 762x631) Image search: [Google]
sky.jpg
60 KB, 762x631
>>8018345

It's not the people who search for aliens, it's the people who latch onto a single image and start proclaiming NASA's performing some huge conspiracy to hide everything, while not bothering to do the slightest bit of research into the evidence they are parading around.
>>
>>8018579
Not if covered in sand. That's how the Sphinx survived in such detail. also artefacts could be metal. But whatever that's fringe. There are still definitely bugs up there.
>>
>>8018599
If I've learn't one thing about society on 4chan it's that for every knee-jerk reaction theres an equal and opposite knee-jerk reaction. SJWs enable crazy feminists and suck muslim cock, /r9k/ and /pol/ thinks it's ok to shoot up schools and gas immigrants. Likewise NASA laughs at UFO hunters so /x/ thinks it's ok to spread rumours that NASA is run by an illuminati NWO. If both sides refuse to talk to each other then they just end up more and more polarized, each demonizing the other as hard as possible. If NASA took at least some of the claims seriously i.e taking a second look at Mars crab, more photos of Ceres, then people wouldn't retreat to tinfoil circlejerks such as /x/.
>>
>>8018541
>No it's because the results were inconclusive and they were fossils i.e dead. Real life moving bugs, Earth would sperg out.
Bullshit.
Most people have no idea there's been liquid water found on Mars, and that's because they just don't care.
Tell you what, go outside.
Find a random person on the street, ask them about this shit.
They just don't care.
The whole "society isn't ready" thing is a forced meme that's convenient to the plots of various movies.
In reality, nobody will freak out unless a giant alien mothership actually starts shooting at us.
>>
>>8018629
>i.e taking a second look at Mars crab

And this is why I can't take them seriously. If they had done their research, they would have found:
1. The feature is up a loose slope of scree, unsuitable for the rover to approach,
2. The image was taken a good year after people pointed it out, meaning any attempt to go back would take a huge amount of time that would impact on the primary aims of the mission,
3. There is already another image of the same rock formation at a different angle.
>>
>>8018663
>The feature is up a loose slope of scree, unsuitable for the rover to approach,
What is zoom?
>The image was taken a good year after people pointed it out, meaning any attempt to go back would take a huge amount of time that would impact on the primary aims of the mission.
Fair enough but still put it on a "to be checked out one day when we have time and money" instead of saying "fuck off you're just seeing things"
>There is already another image of the same rock formation at a different angle.
Where is this image?
>>8018660
Nigger that's just water and I have had engaging conversations with the general public about it. They are interested, just not going full autismo over it like we do. As for alien life the public is privately interested but doesn't like to talk about it with their friends because it's very uncool to say you believe in aliens. I've talked to my mum about squid on europa and she was very interested, but she's not gonna post about it on facebook because aliens are so widely derided. If bugs on mars or squid on europa went mainstream a lot of people would talk about it.
>>
File: 0707MR0030040140402483E01_DXXX.jpg (237 KB, 1344x1200) Image search: [Google]
0707MR0030040140402483E01_DXXX.jpg
237 KB, 1344x1200
>>8018682
>What is zoom?
Something Curiosity doesn't have on it's mast cameras.

>Fair enough but still put it on a "to be checked out one day when we have time and money" instead of saying "fuck off you're just seeing things"
I'm sure they will check it out, when they have the time and money to visit places they have already been.

>Where is this image?
Cunningly hidden in the publicly available raw image data from the rover.
>>
The Martian atmosphere has nontrivial quantities of methane, which in fact vary conaiderably by season. This is a strong bio marker of life, likely microbial life at least a few feet beneath the surface.
Thread replies: 32
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.