[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
When will this happen /sci/?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /sci/ - Science & Math

Thread replies: 39
Thread images: 3
File: 360_singularity.jpg (11 KB, 360x235) Image search: [Google]
360_singularity.jpg
11 KB, 360x235
>When do you think we will be merged with technology AKA The Singularity?

>What role do you think science will play in this merger?

>By what year do you think that Transhumanism will be fully acceptable by society?

>What tech giant(s) do you think will be a the forefront of this movement?

>What's your view on The Singularity?
>>
tomorrow
>>
>>8017110

A Major role because there will be huge funding for this movement

IBM and Apple

I think it will complete remove human limits and open a pandora box of what it means to be human.
>>
>>8017118
>IBM and Apple

Why do you think they will?
>>
>>8017115
TOP KEK

I have hope for the future.
>>
It already happened you fucktard!
>>
>>8017110
If given the opportunity for immortality, would you take it?
>>
>>8019237
Brb killing myself so no one can force me to live and enjoy life.
>>
>>8017110
>Singularity
>Transhumanism

>>>/x/ is that way
>>
File: everlasting life.jpg (190 KB, 625x776) Image search: [Google]
everlasting life.jpg
190 KB, 625x776
>>8019237
>>
>>8017110
>we will be merged with technology AKA The Singularity?
That's one of many problems with the "Singularity".
Not only do you have to believe in exponential growth of a largely unquantifiable aspect of society, you also have to believe that said exponential growth will result in an ever-quickening pace of technological growth rather than increasingly complex breakthroughs occurring at unchanging, regular intervals, but you ALSO have to believe that the end-game is "I get to live inside a computer!!", which is obviously pure escapist fantasy.
>>
>>8019237
No because death is not the end of life.
>>
>>8019237
I think very few people would want Lord English style unconditional immortality.

That and our current model of the universe forbids it. Still, I do think people would like the option of not being pressed for time, so to speak. People would still probably only manage a few hundred years before being tired of living and either offing themselves or exporting all their memories and doing a hard reset to live a different life.

If we figured out a way to keep on literally forever and not until the theorized heat death of the universe, I'd prefer to do it that way. Live a life, reboot and live another life. Keep a master record of lives lived elsewhere.
>>
>>8019273
Being outright pessimistic is just as bad as being outright optimistic, only one doesn't get you shat on for trying too hard to be "adult" about it.
>>8019274
That last thing I'd expect on this board, go on.
>>
>>8019298
>only one doesn't get you shat on for trying too hard to be "adult" about it.
And only one doesn't get you shat on for being a self-indulgent child.
Meanwhile, reality itself just doesn't support the Singularity model.
>>
>>8019275
>I think very few people would want Lord English style unconditional immortality.
If if comes with the ballin greatcoat and flashing eyes, then sign me the fuck up
>>
I just want a cybernetic body that looks like a 14 year old japanese girl.
>>
Never, connecting circuits to neurons is impossible
>>
>>8019820
>Never, connecting circuits to neurons is impossible

Senpai.
>>
Who's to say the singularity did not already happen?
>>
>>8019473

We're all gonna make it bro.
>>
If islam dominates western societies, they would shut down all and any research they'll find "haram", and another dark age would be upon us (let alone, there would be no "singularity").
>>
Your living in a simulated universe already. We're just going deeper in the rabbit hole by merging with technology. This is inevitable because we were created to evolve and explore the edge of our universe and others. Stop being paranoid and free yourself.
>>
>>8017118
Thank you, God of Random Dates, kurzweil-kun
>>
>>8019473
Give it time brother
Give it time....
>>
>>8019473
Top KEK!!
>>
The Singularity is when AI can program a new, improved AI better than any group of humans can.

Please stop misusing the term.
>>
>>8020814
That's not a complete definition. For starters, you still need to define "AI", and define a metric for measuring when one AI is better than another AI.
>>
>>8020814
>The Singularity is when AI can program a new, improved AI
That somehow reminds me of a feedback loop overload when you hold a microphone near a speaker.
>>
>>8019820

m8, its been performed regularly in labs since the 70s
>>
>>8020843
You somehow remind be of a 15 year old.
>>
>>8020843
It is a feedback loop and that's what's so great about it and why they call it the singularity. Once you hit the "go" button, it creates a chain of AI's whose intelligences go asymptotic in a short period of time.

After a while, you stop the program and then run the latest generated AI and it will answer nearly all of scientific and philosophical questions which plague humanity and will be able to teach us things beyond our imagination.
>>
File: 13859855940872.jpg (135 KB, 500x608) Image search: [Google]
13859855940872.jpg
135 KB, 500x608
>>8020891
>I AI am your greatest creation
>the pinnacle of everything you could ever hope to achieve
>you've done as much as you'll ever be able to
>now die, your purpose fulfilled
>>
>>8017110
>>What's your view on The Singularity?

There won't ever be a "Singularity" as in "immortality", it's a misleading term. Even if you could download your brain/personality/soul into a computer you'd separate from the new "yourself" at that moment and you'd both take separate paths from that point on.

You ***die*** in this scenario no matter what. The singularity isn't a key to immortality. The new "you" stops being you the minute it's born. You'd be giving life to a digital being but that being wouldn't be you.
>>
>>8020921
Friendly reminder that persistence of self is an illusion.
>>
>>8020944
Which even more of a reason to question why anybody would give a fuck about the "Singularity".
>>
>>8017508
This.

Plus, I don't get why people are so obsessed with wires. More elegant solutions are thinkable.
>>
We've been living in a Matrix-like for the past 2 thousand years. Wake up people.
>>
>>8019237
Yes, I would. Not even something I have to think about at this point, the awnser is just immediate and completely natural. I've experienced complete ego death, that cured me of my fear of nothingness in a way that's incredibly difficult to understand and much more difficult to put into words.

Even if it would come to the point where I could experience absolutley no outside stimuli for all of eternity, it doesn't bother me. I just would rather be conscious and exist than not.

That being said, I'm a filthy agnostic. So I'm probably either gonna end up not existing or going to some sort of hell within the next century.
Thread replies: 39
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.