[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
If a photon doesn’t experience time, then how can it travel?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /sci/ - Science & Math

Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 2
File: photon_double_slit2.gif (135 KB, 345x416) Image search: [Google]
photon_double_slit2.gif
135 KB, 345x416
If a photon doesn’t experience time, then how can it travel?
>>
>>8016903
Didn't realize time was standstill.
>>
>>8016905
From the point of view of a photon, it pretty much is.
>>
>>8016903
From its own point of view it doesnt, it only moves from our point of view
>>
>>8016903
it doesn't travel. It exists and also doesn't exist at several different points as a wave function AND a particle. Once observed, the wave function becomes lost to us and the particles location at that point in space-time. According to the Many-Worlds Interpretation this also means that the observer found it at every other possible location in equally as many branching universes nearly identical to ours aside from this small detail of where the particle is found
>>
>>8016903
Every particle is occupying all space in the universe simultanesouly.

Time just changes the specific portion of said particle you perceive.
>>
>>8016914
So how is it interacting?
I mean it bounces around from our point of view but from its point of view, what? it's like, everywhere it ever goes all at once?
or it's nowhere?
>>
>>8016919
>>8016926
Light is weird shit.

Is our inability to perceive light as a wave a human deficiency or is it just a fundamental fact about observation of light? Do observers have to be conscious beings or can it simply be any object capable of interacting with light?
>>
>>8016929
it's a field that is changing, and you encompass that field into a "photon" when its potential activated one of the vitamin A molecules in your cone or rod cells, I don't remember which.

It's just like there's no "electrons" there's just the "electric field" and "amounts of torsion in that field"
>>
>>8016943
right that's easier to understand, thanks

does this relate to inertia in any way? it seems like it would have none, by virtue of not technically moving
>>
>>8016903
It doesn't; the universe travels around photons. At least in any causal sense of the term "travel" that we might ever be able to non-relatively measure.
>>
>>8016937
it's not light in particular. It's subatomic particles as a whole. The wave function is a sort of glimpse into the 4th dimension that we only perceive as a single moment in time at any given time. These particles experience all possibilities of their existence at once and this wave function is strongest where the particle is most likely to be at the given point in time. It could be anywhere but when we observe it our minds only perceive the 3 dimensional particle not the 4 dimensional particle wave function. The observer is a different question altogether. We look at other galaxies and that light is already billions of years old so how does that translate? It only makes sense in our universe. There are infinite other universes where certain events never happened, or happened slightly differently. This happens with every wave function measured, and every random act of chance observed
>>
>>8016926
>no one called out my bait
Feels bad to be honest.
>>
>>8017180
I feel like a lot of these explanations I don't understand may be lies.
>>
File: this confuses the rapist.png (226 KB, 500x385) Image search: [Google]
this confuses the rapist.png
226 KB, 500x385
>>8016905
>>8016912
>>8016914
>>8016919
>>8016926
>>8016929
>>8016937
>>8016943
>>8016948
>>8016954
>>8016971
>>8017180
>>8017713
>describes quantifiable phenomena in non-quantitative terms
>wonders why it's "hard to understand"
Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.