[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Can someone explain why even among environmental activists, Global
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /sci/ - Science & Math

Thread replies: 65
Thread images: 7
File: architecture fail.jpg (73 KB, 468x600) Image search: [Google]
architecture fail.jpg
73 KB, 468x600
Can someone explain why even among environmental activists, Global Warming is now referred to by the euphemistic "Climate Change?" I think this just feeds public apathy to the issue- "Climate Change" sounds so benign and natural, it's basically conceding to the anti-anthropogenic origin crowd.
>>
>>8016891
Because when you call it global warming, you have fucking idiots walking into congress with a snowball.
>>
who cares ? this is an /x/ subject, not a scientific one.
>>
>>8016891
>architecture fail.jpg

Only it is art, because those doors don't actually open to anything inside. It is just a solid wall.

>>8016891
For the same reason we don't call "PTSD" by the term "shell shock" anymore.
>>
>>8016891
retards dont understand that global warming causes winters to be colder as well
>>
File: hr_giger_schacht_vi.jpg (365 KB, 858x1200) Image search: [Google]
hr_giger_schacht_vi.jpg
365 KB, 858x1200
>>8016891

The architect is clearly referencing the early works of H.R. Giger.

As a matter of fact, once I searched the image and found that the architect(s) are themselves also Swiss (Giger was Swiss), that basically confirms it, one hundred percent. Just cribbing Giger's early nightmares.

IIRC the Blame! mango also features shafts which are noticably similar to Giger's early work.
>>
>>8016895
No, it's not. It's a /lit/ or even /b/ subject. Don't shill idiots in the wrong direction. /x/ definitely doesn't care about social justice verbiage and/or /pol/itical (in)correctness.

This is why we need a board fairy.
>>8016891
Because global warming didn't melt the polar ice caps the way everyone was hoping it would. The world is far more resilient that people think it is, so the new term was made to divide out idiots who think global warming is real.

I'll give you a hint: It isn't. But climate change is.
>>
Mathematician masterace reporting in. I'm so glad I don't have to deal with stupid shit like this, anti-evolution, anti-vaccine, anti etc.
>>
>>8016933
You have your own stupid shit.

>axiom of choice
>>
>>8016933
Mathematicians were even largely spared from soviet persecution. Math is politization proof, thanks the heavens.
>>
>>8016942
I think, but never proved, that the axiom of choice was a result of people misunderstanding Cantor's circlangular argument. Not that anyone needs to believe me.
>>
>>8016959
>circlangular
this isn't even a word

take your fucking meds
>>
OP's stairs are in Switzerland. Polite sage for not-sci.

https://www.google.com/maps/@47.1346491,7.2480043,343m/data=!3m1!1e3
>>
>>8016962
>n't even a word
That's the point. It gives you a trackable atom.
>>
>>8016942
Not politicized, so doesn't affect anyone. No one who matters cares.
>>
>>8016984
>No one who matters cares.
Someone who doesn't matter here. Can confirm.
>>
>>8016962
>I know every word
No, you do not.
>>
>>8016891
I'm almost certain it's because global warming isn't 100% precise. As the climate changes, yes, the mean temperature of the world will increase (so global warming is technically true), however, not every area will get warmer - some areas will actually get colder.
>>
>>8017079
No I don't think so. It's either warming, cooling or changing. The last option improves odds of propaganda working from 50% to 100%, regardless of where the working man fits in other than a target to tax, of course the carbon taxes will save man from himself.
>>
File: bumper sticker.jpg (13 KB, 395x185) Image search: [Google]
bumper sticker.jpg
13 KB, 395x185
>>8016891
There's a progression, you see.
>>8017079
>some areas will actually get colder
True, that area is the northern hemisphere.
>>
>>8016893
seriously? that happened in usa?
>>
>>8016924
>Because global warming didn't melt the polar ice caps the way everyone was hoping it would.
Depicted is the amount of sea ice in the arctic over the years. That zero point at the bottom is the point the north pole has melted completely. Does this look like melting polar ice caps to you?
>>
>>8016911
I don't know anything about architecture, but I also wanted to reference "Blame!".
I could read it just for the drawings. Heck, that's the only reason for which I've read "Sidonia no Kishi". The story was kinda silly, not really as bad as in other mangos, but nothing I would enjoy if not for the aesthetics. The romance between a teenage boy and a 60 feet tall placenta was epic though.
>>
>>8016891
It's more or less retards start screaming that it gets cold in the winter and then hold up a snow ball to show you that, in fact, the climate isn't changing. I actually got into an argument with a guy about it when I was in university.

The idea is that the average temperature of the earth is rising.
>>
>Just a reminder, that no one in this thread has the credentials to be capable of having an opinion of his own in this topic. All we can do, is trust the people who do. And majority of those people say that global warming is a fact.
>>
>>8017144
And the majority of those people would lose their jobs if they said otherwise.
>>
>>8017166
>would lose their jobs if they said otherwise.
I wish.
>>
>>8017166
Nice meme. Nobody loses their jobs over denying climate change or santa claus. Real science doesn't convince people with gestapo tactics. Unless you work in a desperate sjw-tier cesspool writing blogs about your feelings. Then yeah you will probably lose your job.
>>
Because global warming isn't real, so they can continue the scam after this is a proven fact. It's just language games.
>>
>implying climate change isn't completely natural
>implying something so small and insignificant like people can actually affect something as large as the weather on a planet
>inb4 HAARPfags
>>
>>8017170
>Nice meme.
I wish it was just a meme.

French Weatherman fired for skeptic book.
http://www.cnn.com/2015/11/03/europe/france-weatherman-sacked-climate/

Atmospheric Physics professor fired for being a skeptic
http://www.crikey.com.au/2013/07/12/censorship-climate-sceptics-culled-from-universities/?wpmp_switcher=mobile
>>
>>8016909
I was in Hamburg for winter and it there was no snow, I also don't believe in global warming
>>
>>8017181
>implying such little amount of cyanide can have an effect onsuch big human body.

>it seems so little and insignif8cant to me it must be so then.

>muuuh feelies
>>
>>8017195
>comparing living things to a giant rock
>>
>>8016891
Because climate change is easier to understand as there are many possible outcomes from what has been set in motion. We may trigger a massive ice age, we may melt the ice caps. We as a species have several solutions to global warming but they are dangerous and irreversible. We know things are getting hotter now but we are unsure what way the house of cards will fall.
>>
>>8017117
Kekd I hope it did
>>
>>8017190
> 2 cases in the whole world
omg panic ! I know people getting fired because someone didn't like the way they did their hair
>>
>>8017181
Please, we are a damn force of nature at this point. Implying otherwise is just being stupid, we can literally destroy the entire planet at any given moment if we set off a fraction of our bombs. We can make elements that have never existed on the planet, we can make bunnies glow int he dark and goats produce spider silk. Humans produced the amazon basin through a still poorly understood technology before the incans were even a thought. Have some pride in your species and recognize the power currently held by our collective minds.
>>
>>8017198
>they are not a subject to the same chemical and physical rules
>>
>>8017209
They're not.

A small amount of Po-210 will kill you. All the Po-210 in the Earth's crust is not going to hurt it.
>>
>that feeling when you don't have the will to reply to the trolls, but are unsure if they might be for real
>yes, I know that's Poe's Law, stfu
>>
>>8017204
>2 cases in the whole world
I don't think the Spanish Inquisition started with more than 2 cases, the ball just gets rolling with religion and next think you know crucifixions everywhere! A frenzy if you will. The Pope of Rome has signaled his billion minions - AGW is real and the work of the devil, it won't be long now!
>>
>>8017258
but agw donut exist and has no proof :^)
>>
>>8017206
This is such sophistry. You can't extend our ability to be a force of change to any arbitrary thing you want.

>hurr durr look at all this shit we can do
Uh, okay? There's still a bunch of shit we cannot do. Your list proves nothing about climate change
>>
>>8017266
>>8017266
You said previously ">implying something so small and insignificant like people can actually affect something as large as the weather on a planet"

I proved that humans indeed can do this, we can blow the entire planet up and make nuclear winter. We currently can also decrease global temperature by spreading metals into the atmosphere but we aren't doing it because we are scared of triggering an ice age. You are just being a poor sport about being wrong with regards to our ability to alter our environment as you obviously read in the whole creation of the amazon basin thing. Otherwise you would just be trying to set up a straw man which would be bad logic.
>>
File: CCzgaKNUkAEeX2Q.jpg (74 KB, 1023x712) Image search: [Google]
CCzgaKNUkAEeX2Q.jpg
74 KB, 1023x712
>>8017266
>You can't extend our ability to be a force of change to any arbitrary thing you want.

the tech to control global warming exists. we could capture all the carbon we put into the atmosphere with a mere 10 GW of non hydrocarbon based power. At current $/kWh for solar and wind, its less than 2 billion $.

we also figured out in the 70's how to directly cool the planet with a global atmospheric sulfur injection, that too, would cost less than 2$ billion

this climate change problem isn't as serious as environmentalists make it out to be. its really a political problem with trying to get other countries on board with a set program. doing the actual mitigation is easy, really.
>>
>>8016891
Global Warming is an outdated theory replaced with Climate Change.
Scientist at the time thought that increased greenhouse gases would warm the planet without thinking it would have other effects around the globe.
We now know that not to be entirely true as the increase of greenhouse gases may cause cooler temperatures in some regions.
Basically Global Warming said the planet was warming.
Climate Change says the planets climate will change erratically.
>>
>>8016909
Then why call it "global" "warming" huh liberalsa???? Stupid libtards are wrong again!
>>
File: climatechangepredictions.org.png (22 KB, 619x429) Image search: [Google]
climatechangepredictions.org.png
22 KB, 619x429
"Arctic Ocean could be virtually ice-free by 2012 but that point may be reached within months rather than years.”
-- The Telegraph, (UK) 27 Jun 2008

pic related+ /category/arctic_sea_ice
>>
>>8018215

/category/doomsday

>Over 4.5 Billion people could die from Global Warming-related causes by 2012.
The Canadian, 8 Jan 2007

this is a goldmine
>>
>>8017120
In 2008 Dr. Neil Hamilton director of WWF's arctic programme said the North Pole could be ice free within 7 years from then.

Also in 2008 global warming will make the Arctic ice free within 7 years, according to Circumpolar Flaw Lead System Study.

Predictive power is important in building a proper theory and it was good to see someone (several, actually) made a clear prediction based on their hypotheses. Didn't quite work out, though.

Sources used:
http://www.adressa.no/vaeret/klima/article1205556.ece
http://www.smp.no/frapapir/article7720489.ece
http://www.tv2.no/a/1700783
>>
>>8018454

>WWF

Dude why haven't I heard of this wrestler before?
>>
tl;dr

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Milankovitch_cycles
>>
>>8017200
>>8017117
https://youtube.com/watch?v=3E0a_60PMR8

It was obviously research for his thesis
>>
>>8018454
>make theory about how pandas will go extinct in a given environment
>environment changes due to acts of the public and the government
>pandas don't go extinct

Natural selection btfo
>>
>>8017215
It would hurt all humans, which is why we (should) care
>>
IDGAF about global warming because I'm not a preachy, self-hating, sanctimonious cunt who thinks potential people in the future are more important than I am. Fuck them.
>>
File: technicality_s.png (25 KB, 334x418) Image search: [Google]
technicality_s.png
25 KB, 334x418
>>8016891
>euphemistic "Climate Change?"

Climate change is not an euphemism, it is as trivial as it is neutral, a simple fact. Climate always changes; it has, it does and it will.

It's interesting to observe how the usual suspects (and their proxies) are now trying to control the damage by slowly addressing the inherent potential of global cooling - man-made of course, like the Little Ice Age. I'm predicting a second major revision of the TSI reconstruction to enforce the doublethink.
>>
>>8016891
It's simmilar to God Particle Vs Higgs Boson

The IPCC (Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change) was set up in 1988. Climate change has always been the term most scientists use. Global Warming was popular in media during the 90s and 00's because readers confuse climate (global) with weather (local), and might not know the important change is a warming.

Journalists eventually started matching the terminology the scientists were using.
>>
>>8018911
>unironically not caring about the future
>unironically being nihilistic
Shigg a digg digg
>>
>>8018215
>>8018228
>The Telegraph
>The Canadian
I'm glad you found some top-notch scientific journals to read?

>>8018911
>Fuck feeding other people, I like SUVs!

>>8020143
>Climate change is not an euphemism, it is as trivial as it is neutral, a simple fact. Climate always changes; it has, it does and it will.
Only if you're willing to completely disregard actual language in order to focus on absurd semantic literalism.
"Climate Change" obviously means more than just "any change in the climate", and claiming otherwise is simply an attempt to derail the conversation.

>It's interesting to observe how the usual suspects (and their proxies) are now trying to control the damage by slowly addressing the inherent potential of global cooling - man-made of course, like the Little Ice Age.
Are you on drugs?
Global cooling hasn't been seriously discussed in many decades, and even then it was a minority position. I'm not aware of a single respectable group is advocating it today.
>>
>>8018701
that was literally painful to watch
>>
>>8021437
hi proxy, do they pay well?
>>
>>8016911
just because it looks cool doesn't mean we should do it.

>>8017133
"Blame!" was pretty great. You telling me that "Sidonia no Kishi" has more aesthetics like "Blame!"? Guess I need to read it.
>>
>>8021437
>actual language
But only in Brainwashington.
Are you on CO2?
Thread replies: 65
Thread images: 7

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.