[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
My uni offers me the chance to create my own major. I am just
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /sci/ - Science & Math

Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 1
File: 1457985051547.jpg (33 KB, 268x265) Image search: [Google]
1457985051547.jpg
33 KB, 268x265
My uni offers me the chance to create my own major. I am just curious as to what major you guys would create for yourselves. I'm pretty happy with my geology major. I wouldn't change it.
>>
A major that revolves around the simulation of systems. Basically comp physics and basics, comp chemistry and basics, comp ect, a bit of CS
>>
Mathematical Physics. I have zero interest in working in a lab.
>>
Out of curiosity, how does this work? Can you name it yourself and literally "create your own major", to the point where you can have whatever classes you want?
>>
>>8016699
Do this OP. This is what I'm moving to right now. Shit's gonna be huge.

More specifically, combine it with optimizing/ designing physical systems automatically via computer. Computers that design airplanes, cancer drugs, and computer code, oh my!
>>
Just a quick check here, OP.
>>8016670
Does >>8008882 look like something another version of you (say, from an alternate timeline) might say, if you'd been through different things this last month?
>>
>>8016720
>I have zero interest in working in a lab.
iktfb
>>
>>8016670
That sounds kinda interesting. What uni do you go to? I'd like to read more about it.
>>
>>8016670
>geology
You're in the wrong board
Here you go >>>/out/
>>
>>8016670
I don't understand that.

I went to the university I'm attending because it has a reputable physics and engineering program, that will look good when I'm applying for graduate schools, as well as give me the opportunity to do undergraduate research to further boost my future options.

By allowing any major, you also allow classes to be less specialized, as well as professors. Of course, with any major, you will want to take specialized courses, but the availability of super specific courses will always be low, so they'll have to compensate by forcing professors to teach something that they have a less-than-expert level understanding of. I'd rather spend the 4 years gaining rounded knowledge, and then get specific, than spend 4 years gaining less quality knowledge, and be fucked when I have to take my GRE's.
>>
>>8016670
Genetic Ontology of Discrete Systems
>>
>>8016763
You need the permission of two faculty members. details here http://www.rochester.edu/college/interdepartmental/
>>8016790
University of Rochester
>>8016828
>but the availability of super specific courses will always be low
that depends on your uni. Building your own major can either broaden your education or specialize it even further. You might be able to graduate in 4 years with a master's level of understanding of the specialization you chose.
Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.