[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
English's importance in Science
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /sci/ - Science & Math

Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 2
File: download.png (4 KB, 240x200) Image search: [Google]
download.png
4 KB, 240x200
Ok /sci/ there is this one fucking kid I know who's ignorant as fuck and this is what he said to me today: "We're talking about things you don't understand, like English. What good is a scientist that can't convey his viewpoint?". Also inb4 high school drama... we both take APs and we're pretty intelligent but what he is basically trying to say is that since my english skills aren't great, I won't write good science papers. I am not good at english and I am not bad but am I the only one who thinks he's fucking retarded for mentioning my skill in english when I want to go into physics and mathematics? I mean I have alright grammar, which I will be improving but writing a super thoughtful essay on a paper talking about quantum mechanics doesn't matter as the only fucking people who would understand it are fellow physicists. He's definitely trying to start shit but I wanted all of your opinions on the importance of good writing in a scientific field such as physics. Also this kid is hypocritical because he wants/wanted to do engineering yet he doesn't understand basic calculus, which is required for engineering unlike english not being required for physics (it's required obviously but it's not a huge fucking deal).

TLDR: Opinions on strength of english skills in science relative to a field such as physics? Do I need to be like shakespeare?
>>
If you suck then git gud
http://4chan-science.wikia.com/wiki/Universal_Material#Technical.2C_Scientific.2C_and_Mathematical_Writing
>>
>>8016503
I just don't really like literature and writing as much as someone going into a social studies or language. I don't suck he just knows that's the one thing I'm not so great at.
>>
>>8016475
Both if you should kill Yourselves.
>>
>>8016528
Why tho? He's the one starting shit and he wants to be an engineer yet he can't even do basic calculus.
>>
File: 1445663227561.png (275 KB, 322x586) Image search: [Google]
1445663227561.png
275 KB, 322x586
>>8016475
>Being so autistic you can't write in English properly
>Being ass pained a dick is being a dick to you

Ask yourself this question. Would you actually understand and want to read a scientific paper written by Black Twitter or a decently skilled writer?

I do believe English skills are important. In my labs I've had plenty of people do the whole "You read mine I read yours" stuff and every time their shit is retarded and the professor nukes their grade for it because "Oh well, he isn't gonna grade based on grammar usage and writing ability."
>>
Don't be a fucking philistine anon.
>>
[math]\text{ }^{\color{#571da2}{\displaystyle\text{N}}}\text{ }^{^{^{\color{#462eb9}{\displaystyle\text{o}}}}}\text{ }^{^{^{^{^{\color{#3f47c8}{\displaystyle\text{b}}}}}}}\text{ }^{^{^{^{^{^{^{^{\color{#3f62cf}{\displaystyle\text{o}}}}}}}}}}\text{ }^{^{^{^{^{^{^{^{^{^{\color{#437ccc}{\displaystyle\text{d}}}}}}}}}}}}\text{ }^{^{^{^{^{^{^{^{^{^{^{^{\color{#4b90bf}{\displaystyle\text{y}}}}}}}}}}}}}}\text{ }^{^{^{^{^{^{^{^{^{^{^{^{^{\color{#56a0ae}{\displaystyle\text{ }}}}}}}}}}}}}}}\text{ }^{^{^{^{^{^{^{^{^{^{^{^{^{^{\color{#62ab99}{\displaystyle\text{f}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}\text{ }^{^{^{^{^{^{^{^{^{^{^{^{^{^{^{\color{#71b484}{\displaystyle\text{u}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}\text{ }^{^{^{^{^{^{^{^{^{^{^{^{^{^{^{\color{#82ba70}{\displaystyle\text{c}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}\text{ }^{^{^{^{^{^{^{^{^{^{^{^{^{^{^{\color{#96bc5f}{\displaystyle\text{k}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}\text{ }^{^{^{^{^{^{^{^{^{^{^{^{^{^{^{\color{#a9bd52}{\displaystyle\text{i}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}\text{ }^{^{^{^{^{^{^{^{^{^{^{^{^{^{\color{#bcbb48}{\displaystyle\text{n}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}\text{ }^{^{^{^{^{^{^{^{^{^{^{^{^{\color{#ceb541}{\displaystyle\text{g}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}\text{ }^{^{^{^{^{^{^{^{^{^{^{^{\color{#dcab3c}{\displaystyle\text{ }}}}}}}}}}}}}}\text{ }^{^{^{^{^{^{^{^{^{^{\color{#e39938}{\displaystyle\text{c}}}}}}}}}}}}\text{ }^{^{^{^{^{^{^{^{\color{#e68033}{\displaystyle\text{a}}}}}}}}}}\text{ }^{^{^{^{^{\color{#e3632d}{\displaystyle\text{r}}}}}}}\text{ }^{^{^{\color{#de4227}{\displaystyle\text{e}}}}}\text{ }^{\color{#da2121}{\displaystyle\text{s}}}[/math]
>>
>>8016565
I'm not on the plane of "black twitter" but my point is that the science matters more in the field of physics, does it not?
>>
>>8016582
What?
>>8016603
how??
>>
>>8016733
TeX nerd.
>>8016603
FUCKIN SAVED
>>
>>8016475
I definitely look down on one-subject wonders. For instance, I have friends who are great with math but can't write for shit. To me that just means those people are willfully ignorant in a critical subject. It's hard to respect a colleague who -- although otherwise is brilliant --writes like a fucking 5-year-old.
>>
If the writing is bad, I am probably not going to read/cite the paper unless it has something I absolutely need. As such, I try to make sure my papers are well written and believe that writing skills are important.
>>
>>8016565
A paper in black twitter would be pretty funny desu
>>
>>8016475
>Opinions on strength of english skills in science relative to a field such as physics?
Good writing is an incredibly important skill in any science. Explaining your clever new ideas in a way that other people (other scientists in the same field, that is) are able to understand is far, far harder than it appears. If you are unable to do this and do it well, all the clever research in the world you can do isn't going to achieve much, because people won't understand it.

Writing a research paper involves many weeks of making your explanations clearer and yet clearer, ever improving it to make it as simple as you can possibly manage. Good writing is an absolutely critical part of that. If at the end you feel like you have produced a masterpiece of crystal-clarity and beautiful simplicity, what you have actually written is something that people can follow with some effort and that may end up as an actual contribution in the long run. If you write something that is "good enough but not great as writing", you have actually produced a complete turd that nobody will even try to read and that will be forgotten within a week.

>Do I need to be like shakespeare?
Well no, because Shakespeare wrote fiction. Writing technical nonfiction is a completely different skill.
>>
friendly reminder that all fields of study are part of a parts of the same and if you don't realize that you're a brainlet that will never accomplish anything in physics or math.
>>
>>8016723
The science is the most important aspect but proper English writing is equally important. To put it into perspective my professor is an Israeli. When he's not paying attention when he writes his grammar is really bad and his questions either lose meaning or become difficult to comprehend. When he actually puts forth some medium level of effort everything he writes is crystal clear.

Part of bringing the world or even other scientists your ideas is being clear and not mucking up the work with shit tier grammar or word usage.

>>8016771
Now that I think about it that would be hysterical
>>
>>8016475
If you plan on becoming a scientist, or major in a science that will require you to do research, you undoubtedly need to have good writing skills.

By writing like a bottom tier sperglord, you invite the possibility of ambiguity. This persists even if you write to other people who know everything about the subject at matter.

Think about it this way, numeral symbols are the language of math. If I use them the wrong way, it could be understood as several different things, rather than what I initially meant.
>>
>>8016475
physics is a result of language to begin with
all of science is
Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.