[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
What is the possibility of someone with Autism/Asperger syndrome
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /sci/ - Science & Math

Thread replies: 31
Thread images: 2
What is the possibility of someone with Autism/Asperger syndrome having a high IQ or just being highly intelligent (implying that they haven't taken an IQ test yet)?
>>
It's actually just a stereotype that people with autism or aspergers are intelligent. Most of them are below average intelligence but when they actually are intelligent they are VERY intelligent.
>>
>>8016235
Having a brain that makes it exceptionally easy to identify types of rocks won't help you very much if you want to interact with society in a nonparasitic fashion.
>>
>>8016671
Can confirm, I have aspergers and I'm a fucking dumbass.
>>
>>8016235
A lot of people with social inhibitions are very good at identifying patterns, and that's really pretty much all IQ tests are.
>>
>>8016797
Maybe you just haven't found a field you're good at
>>
>>8016235
Low.

Sure, in some cases like savants, they can have impressive quantitative skills or memorization that far surpasses the "normal" human.

However, ask them to apply that knowledge or utilize it in a meaningful manner and they short circuit.
>>
File: chrischan.jpg (44 KB, 500x375) Image search: [Google]
chrischan.jpg
44 KB, 500x375
Very
>>
>>8016821
Are you saying the ultimate result of all this "IQ" testing was that people think idiots are one neuron apart from geniuses?
>>
>>8016859
Is he an aspie, or something more... different?
>>
>>8016235
Autism is a spectrum, yadda yadda.
Most autists are more of the banging head into walls eat your own fingers kind of deal. So I would guess below average.
>>
>>8016916
He's transgender now, so throw that into the equation.
>>
>>8016671
i'd say it's a matter of dedication. iq tests mean nothing because they only test the ability to recognize patterns, not a person's drive. but with autism there is extreme motivation on what motivates them and zero on anything else. so when autism is coupled with a certain iq, whatever the person is interested at they will absolutely excell at.
>>
broadly is autism is a masclunization of the brain which means a proneness to systematizing. Not necessarily this comes with High IQ but the intersection isn't accidental. Autism is a more common diagnosis in IT hubs.
>>
Savant syndrome is very closely related with autistic people. They may not have a high general IQ but can accel in a certain subject or activity.
>>
>>8016235
You generally gain intelligence from being on the spectrum, you just lose emotions and social interaction abilities, basically turns you into a vulkan
>>
>>8017431
Thanks for reminding me to retry the Khronos and AMD downloads for the tenth time, knowing it probably won't fucking work yet.
>>
>>8017483
Nigga you're on the completely wrong board

Also if you're talking about vulkan support try reinstalling your OS to completely clear the older drivers, but only one game has vulkan support currently anyways.
>>
>>8016235
Not very common. Autism generally occurs with a lower than average IQ, however, high functioning autism/aspergers is autism with an average-above average IQ (I can't remember the exact difference between aspergers and HFA, but they are basically the same - the difference comes from when the patient had his first words). I think about 60% of people with autism have an IQ at or above 70 (so don't have an intellectual disability).
>>
>>8017431
i wouldn't say they "lose" emotion generally, just towards people. consider how emotional autistic fits or rage are.
>>
>>8017020
this seems pretty accurate. intelligent autist here and im only good at what im interested in, but the interest predates the skill. not to mention that trying to use IQ tests as a reliable method of quantifying intelligence is total bullshit
>>
>>8016235
Well, at least with aspergers by definition you need to have not suffered any cognitive delay during the 3 first years of your life, so most people with aspergers have at least a normal intelligence. Probably high intelligence is more common than in the general population, but not by large amounts. The last time my IQ was measured it was something like 155, but that was when I was around 15 so it is probably lower now.

Now with full blown autism the story is completely different, and high intelligence is probably rare.
>>
>>8016235
If you define intelligence by IQ, autistic people score lower than average.

If you use a more vernacular definition, like the ability to do a specific complex thing very well, autistic people tend to be smarter than average, but with a wider variation. Very smart and very dumb are more common than in the general population.
>>
>>8017487
OpenCL's successor is /sci/ related. The problem is that AMD's drivers don't work with any of the current SDK versions.

And my point was that he spelled Vulcan wrong.
>>
>>8017431
What emotions are we supposed to "lose"'? I'm on the spectrum and my emotions are stupid strong for everything, the littlest things. I feel bad for people, hell, I feel bad for my food sometimes.

Loss of social ability is true, which leads to isolation and depression and withdraw and suicidal mental instability especially during teens, well for me anyways. And of course because of being oblivious to social cues and norms I can never express my emotions, so I appear like I don't have any to everyone. It's frustrating and the primary reason I use 4chan so much, I don't have to worry about any of that
>>
>>8018458
Well clearly you didn't lose empathy. I'm nearly a Sociopath
>>
>>8016671
Can confirm. Also sometimes intelligence in domains.
>diagnosed autist
>iq ~140
> really good at quant stuff
> can't into words
Like, 36 on math portion of act(not a big feat, but it's a convenient measure) and 22 on reading and 15 on writing)
>>
>>8016768
Ponyfag detected.
>>
>>8016235
back to /r9k/
>>
>>8016797
>>8016671
Know lots of people with Aspergers, they'll tend to pick up certain subjects really well, but a large majority of them pick up really retarded subjects, like art or history. If I found out my kid was with Aspergers I'd try and immerse them in something that can help keep them self sufficient.
>>
My older brother has mild autism and he's a wizard at geography. He won our state's Geography Bee when he was in middle school.
Thread replies: 31
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.