[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
tau or pi? and why? also math discussion general thread I guess
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /sci/ - Science & Math

Thread replies: 23
Thread images: 4
File: tau or pi.png (3 KB, 398x287) Image search: [Google]
tau or pi.png
3 KB, 398x287
tau or pi? and why?
also math discussion general thread I guess
>>
Pi. Tau refers to Pi.
>>
>>8016220
π
>>
>>8016221
so we use a half pi now because it's referring to pi?
>>8016223
but tau is much more easy to understand for children and 2pi is very often used in physics
>>
>>8016232
>but tau is much more easy to understand for children
Because it's the ratio of the circumference to radius? Then just refer to the diameter instead fo the radius.

>2pi is very often used in physics
Which probably stems from the fact that it's a full period of the sine and cosine. Tangent and cotangent period is only [math]pi[/math] though.
>>
Tau is more efficient, just as defining electrons to have a positive charge would have been more efficient.
Unfortunately, that ship sailed long ago.
>>
>>8016295
It stems from the fact that 2pi is the ratio of a circle's circumference to its radius. The radius of a circle is the basic element, not the diameter.
>>
>>8016220
tau is for retards who can't add fractions
>>
File: 1454246773707.jpg (33 KB, 412x394) Image search: [Google]
1454246773707.jpg
33 KB, 412x394
>>8016377

kek
>>
Tau is for torque so I will have to go with pi
>>
>>8016220
In my field, tau is used as a value to describe relaxation time wrt to perturbations of physical systems -- so I wouldn't bother replacing 2pi with tau. Either way, variables and short-cut jargon are so arbitrary and vary wildly by field. If you understand what the symbol/variable represents, it shouldn't matter at all what its face-value representation is.

I did enjoy this video though:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZPv1UV0rD8U
>>
>Not using binary
Get on my level you fucking plebs.
>>
>>8016357
What about the area of a circle? If the radius is 1, then the area is [math]\pi[/math].
>>
>>8016716
but if the radius is sqrt(2) the area is tau
checkmate atheists
>>
neither of them are any use anyway

you can't do any calculations with them because you can't get the value right

may as well not bother at all
>>
File: 1460570748568.png (24 KB, 568x74) Image search: [Google]
1460570748568.png
24 KB, 568x74
>implying
>>
>>8016716
Show me a single physics formula that makes use of the area of a circle. Multitudes use the radius.
The radius is usable in n dimensions of space. The area is only meaningful in one (2D).
>>
>>8016220
Hey guys lets count in base 13 for now on. I know we've been using base 10 for a very long time, so much so that we can intuitively grasp numbers very easily, but you there are some advantages to using the base 13 system in some trivial cases. It's not like it's anything different, we just have to work around it almost everywhere else.
>>
>>8016344
We need to start a petition

#MakeElectronsPositiveAgain
>>
>>8018551
this, we're long overdue for a change. The Romans used base 10 and they were mass murderers.

While we're at it we should adopt tau as well
>>
>>8016716
Why is this important at all?
>>
>>8016419

this
>>
File: angry 2.gif (274 KB, 196x213) Image search: [Google]
angry 2.gif
274 KB, 196x213
>>8016220
>Tau has half the number of ''legs'' pi does
>double the amount
Thread replies: 23
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.