[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Useful areas of math for CS: >probability >stochastic processes
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /sci/ - Science & Math

Thread replies: 32
Thread images: 1
File: useful_life_hacks_usb.png (248 KB, 610x367) Image search: [Google]
useful_life_hacks_usb.png
248 KB, 610x367
Useful areas of math for CS:
>probability
>stochastic processes
>stats
>signal processing
>graph theory
>combinatorics
>muh babby linear algebra and calculus
>more linear algebra
>group theory
>game theory
>formal languages
>category theory
What else?
>>
>>8014499
triangles
>>
>>8014499
>group theory
>game theory
Literally irrelevant.
>>
>>8014511
>game theory
>implying irrelevant
If game theory is so "irrelevant", then why are /v/ and /vg/ the biggest boards on 4chan?
>>
>>8014511
Shhhh the CS fags are trying to make themselves relevant by just naming a bunch of math buzzwords and clearly OP just watched a beautiful mind.

Don't forget Inter Universal Teichmuller Memery, OP. Pretty important for making iphone UIs.
>>
>>8014499
NUMERICAL METHODS
>>
>>8014511
>what's coding theory
>what's artificial intelligence
>>
>>8014511
You're beyond hope if you think group theory isn't useful.
>>
>>8014511
Have you seriously never heard about cryptography you retatd?
>>
>>8014523
>>8014544
>>8014548
>>8014565

OOH those sweet sweet buzzwords.

Indeed CS majors, just today I had to do like 50 triple integrals just to see where to put the UIButton object on the screen.
>>
>>8014569
>triple integrals
>literally HS math
>cryptography is a buzzword
>muh cs is code monkeying maymay
ur so funny anon xD
>>
>>8014584
I know. Topology is also important :^), you have to study the closeness of your UI objects.

XD WE COMPUTER SCIENTISTS ARE SUCH LE MATHEMATICIAN MAY MEMES
>>
>>8014499
Mathematical Logic, more specifically Computabiity theory.
>>
>>8014593
Did you know anon that when you kill yourself and your blood splatters around on a piece of paper, and if someone crumples that paper up, at least one stain will remain at the same point. Topology is really useful for autistical virgins like you anon :^)
>>
Are algorithms mathematics? Mathematicians came up with algorithms (e.g. Euclidean algorithm, Gaussian elimination) way before there was anything like CS
>>
>>8014640
Computer science is contained in mathematics.

Even the code monkey stuff is part of mathematics, as the first programmers are all mathematicians.

That doesn't make the morons in this thread mathematicians though, regardless of how many math buzzwords they can copy and paste from wikipedia.
>>
>>8014667
Anon do you know the definition of a buzzword?
>>
>>8014691
For my 9 to 5 front-end web dev job I need

>CRYPTOGRAPHY
>NUMERICAL METHODS
>GROUP THEORY
>GAME THEORY
>CODING THEORY
>AI
>GRAPH THEORY
>COMBINATRONICS
>MEMETRONICS
>STATISTICS

No one is buying it, go back to doing your pityful fizzbuzz.
>>
huurrr

computer science is baby algorithms and programming hurrrrrr i'm a retard

lawl code monkeys
>>
>>8014706
No one is talking about front end dev you idiot
>>
>>8014741
>Implying that is not where all undergrad CS majors end up

I got you, not only are you delusional about the kind of maths you use, but also you are delusional about what jobs you can get.
>>
>>8014745
But anon I am a math major, but you're an obnoxious piece of shit
>>
>>8014511
Game theory is used in some routing algorithms, nigger
>>
>>8014511
>group theory
>irrelevant

Useful in several algorithms and in a few areas of graph theory that are useful to CS (e.g. stuff involving automorphism groups of graphs). Also, group theory and algebra in general is incredibly useful in cryptography.
>>
Jesus, apparently all the "CS IS A MEME" are indeed first year students trying to validate their choice, anyone beyond that would know where game of theory and group theory are used.
>>
>>8014593
that's like saying a math degree is basically 1+1=2.

Your memes end here m9, have a nice shitposting day
>>
>>8014499
How are formal languages useful?
>>
>>8016259
Parsing
>>
>>8014958
>group theory and algebra in general is incredibly useful in cryptography
It really isn't. Prime-number based cryptography is just one manner of encryption. It is far from relevant to most programmers or cryptographers. It also tends to be intuitive enough that studying it formally doesn't really gain much of anything.
>>8015818
>game of theory
You didn't even get the name right.
>>
>>8014519
kek
>>
>>8014569
How fun is thinking about triple integrals while flipping burgers for a living before coming home to use your computer (CS) to go on the internet (CS) and shitpost on a forum (CS) anon ? I'm thinking about majoring in le useful math too.
>>
>>8016661
Thanks, that was the post I was aiming for.
>>8014519
>doesn't even know what game theory is
Thread replies: 32
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.