[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Telescope stories
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /sci/ - Science & Math

Thread replies: 23
Thread images: 2
File: lightning-ball-113645.jpg (379 KB, 1300x1390) Image search: [Google]
lightning-ball-113645.jpg
379 KB, 1300x1390
/b/tard needs your help guys.
I can't figure out what it is I saw in my telescope.
>be me
>be with girl and buddy
>looking through telescope
>thingsexpensiveman.jpg
>pick random star
>ball of electricity
>sparks are rapidly moving around
>was real time movement
>dudewhut.gif
>all 3 of us see the lightning ball
So are there electric suns or something? Would a blue dwarf do something like that? I saw this probably 6 months ago, haven't been able to locate it since.
>pic related, except the sparks were flying off this thing in area around it
>>
>>8013373
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ball_lightning
>>
File: latest[1].jpg (2 MB, 3000x2000) Image search: [Google]
latest[1].jpg
2 MB, 3000x2000
>>8013373
those are legends anon

did it look like this by any chance?
>>
>>8013382
I highly doubt it was that, it was in space I'm sure of it it fit inside the lenses of my scope so it was very far away
When I looked at the sky without the scope it just looked like any old star
>>
>>8013387
>it fit inside the lenses of my scope

That means it had to be relatively near to you.
>>
>>8013392
I have 2 magnifications.
One made it so it was a star in my view slight blue coloring
With bigger mag lense I could see activity like pic
>>
>>8013387
>I'm sure of it it fit inside the lenses of my scope so it was very far away
It could have just been small, anon.
>>
>>8013397
Stars are point sources. No matter how powerful your lens is stars will never appear larger than a single point.
>>
>>8013382
If movement was predictable (same direction, few turns etc) ball lightning. If movement seemed planned and controlled well...
>>
>>8013416
Really? I wonder what I was seeing then, I don't it was ball lightning, clear night sky no storms in any immediate area and it was outside atmosphere
>>
>>8013384
Yeah, it looked just like that
>>
>>8013554
I hear they call it sol
>>
>>8013429
Was star near the horizon and relatively bright?

If yes then it could've been something like a planet combined with air turbulence. The closer something is to the horizon the more air you're going to view it through and the more turbulence will affect it. I've seen venus appear like a morphing blot of milk.
>>
>>8013606
If on the other hand it was far from the horizon it could be some of these high altitude electrical discharges which have been seen occasionally though pilots are reluctant to report them fearing they would end up in the loony bin.

>>8013554
>>8013603
>sol, the legend
So, you two are living in the UK?
>>
>>8013621
>So, you two are living in the UK?
not me, why? I was just playing along. Is it something real in the UK?
>>
>>8013635
True story: a foreigner asked his UK friends 'what is round and yellow on blue background'. Nobody could answer. They were not happy to hear the answer was "the sun".

In spite of lousy weather the UK had a most excellent astronomy TV programme in "The Sky at Night" with the late and legendary Sir Patrick Alfred Caldwell-Moore.
>>
>>8013606
It was a tiny bit above the horizon, high enough up to be seen between the tops of trees
>>
>>8013606
Actually you know what, I might have been looking at Venus and maybe like what you described there could be possible and distorted it to look like the pic. Ill check out Venus tonight and report back.
Last time I looked at Venus it was rainbow blasting
>>
>>8013373

>Not taking fucking notes so you can find the star again

Thread disregarded
>>
>>8013664
>What's your favorite planet? Mine's the sun!
>>
>>8013792
I was chilling with friends and I was a noob, I know it's by Venus, and if you read thread you'll find that it might just be Venus and I saw it a weird time
>>
>>8013373
>I saw this probably 6 months ago
Go here: https://www.fourmilab.ch/yoursky/

Paste in your position. I did a sample run using London and 17.00 hours, assuming you had a look in the evening rather than the morning.

The moon is in the south and nearby is also Saturn, low in the sky towards south. My guess is that you saw Saturn, a planet that is reasonably visible by the naked eye.

If there is a built up area in the direction you saw this you would expect atmospheric "noise" in the image, like the planet was shaking or dancing in the eyepiece. This visual turbulence can be rather quick.
>>
>>8014043
I know exactly where saturn is since I look at it frequently, I love how it's moons are lined up PERFECTLY, so can confirm it is not Saturn
Thread replies: 23
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.