[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Obesity vs Anorexia - Caused by science.
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /sci/ - Science & Math

Thread replies: 24
Thread images: 3
File: obesity-anorexia.jpg (50 KB, 722x406) Image search: [Google]
obesity-anorexia.jpg
50 KB, 722x406
Yes, this is a food thread, this global problem is directly caused by scientists and psychologists - yet you all refuse to take responsibility - indeed you laugh as millions get sick or die.

70 years ago food scientists advised governments that eating fat caused obesity. They ignored sugar and conspired to discredit anyone who suggested carbohydrates and sugar were to blame.

This dismissive attitude extended into psychology and psychiatry. Anorexia is a recognized mental condition whereas 'obesity' is not.

We the general public are the victims of failed science. A hierarchical university grading system and institutional inertia at the highest levels. And not least of all, failures of scientific rigor. We need good public health, what are you doing about it and when will obesity be a mental illness?
>>
stop eating fatty
>>
>>8012943
>Americans

Just eat less calories you hamplanet
>>
>>8012943
The only way you can get fat is if you eat more calories than you burn.

The solution then is simple: stop eating so much you fat fuck.
>>
>>8012943

>Anorexia is a recognized mental condition whereas 'obesity' is not.

obesity is a physical state
anorexia is a mental disorder

what the fuck are you about

relentless binge eating (and associated effects) can be a mental disorder, not the fat you gain from it

choosing to be slightly lazy as we are indeed programmed to be and eating at a comfortable slight surplus every day is not a mental disorder, just as procrastinating for an exam generally isn't a mental disorder and ergo something you need to work against on your own
>>
File: I can't eat that, I'm bulking.webm (3 MB, 640x360) Image search: [Google]
I can't eat that, I'm bulking.webm
3 MB, 640x360
>>8012943
>dietary problems
>causing health problems

Join the military. They will sort out your diet for you.

Also, it isn't the government specifically that is the problem (they are a symptom), it is food corporations who are the problem. They design food that is purposely addictive. It is as cheaply made as possible, lacks proper nutrients, and people need to eat more and crave to eat more. The food industry literally makes people fat on purpose, in order to make more money. They even lobby the government agencies to get things done their way and put their people in charge of much of the government agencies. Thus you get things like the food pyramid that is designed by people in the food industry, tailored to their needs so people think they need more of the products they are selling.
>>
>its not my fault its X's
fat cunt detected
>>
File: How cottage cheese is made.webm (1009 KB, 640x360) Image search: [Google]
How cottage cheese is made.webm
1009 KB, 640x360
>>8013315
The real problem is food indoctrination in all forms of media. As well as the more recent fat allowance and anti-fat shaming.

Ever see the movie Branded? There's a scene in it where the elite are plotting and the general scheme is to make fat people be desirable. It is basically what is happening now only in a very warped more sinister way.

Of all the people I know, who are fat (that's most everyone I know), only about 2% of them are concerned about their obesity. The rest literally don't notice and certainly don't see it as a negative thing. In fact, their doctors tell them they are healthy. Which boggles my fucking mind because some of them are 300-400lbs.

I don't know what is going on in the political side of things, but I think I'm going to have a cup of coffee, walk for a few miles, and fast for the rest of the day. The world is crazy.
>>
>>8013326
>their doctors tell them they are healthy

Their doctors probably tell them their weight is a problem and will give them problems. But they're not going to tell anyone else that their doctor called them a fatass.
>>
>>8013326
I've fapped to this so many times.
>>
>>8013351
Yeah, I imagine it is as you say. But, being that obese in itself means you are already unhealthy. I'm sure there are things that are wrong with them that their doctor never tested for and won't until it starts impacting their daily lives in ways they can no longer ignore.
>>
>>8013313
Nice post. I hadn't thought of the processed food industry that way. Of course they will omit/reduce certain nutrients so hunger persists.
>>
>>8012943
You're totally right. Anorexia gets shitloads of sympathy whereas obesity gets reactions like >>8012947
>>8012957
>>8012992
>>8013301
>>8013315
When both are the same condition, an eating disorder. I don't understand why people can't look at a 600 lb guy and realize that there must be something wrong with the guy's mind. To be that fat you must eat till it hurts.
>>8013313
Yes this is true, companies stuff food with sugar and fat because that sells.It's a simple fact that will never go away.They even fuck you over by cramming sugar into "healthy" food like smoothies and mueslis. People don't know what to trust anymore and give up completely.
>>8013326
Well this is a result of what I said earlier of society failing to be sympathetic to the obese. Now they have created this kneejerk reaction where they go into complete denial of being fat because it feels so shameful and openly campaign that it's "ok to be fat"

My solution to ending this clusterfuck.

1) Subsidize low calorie food

2) Psychiatric intervention for every obese person

3) In general stop mocking fat people, you are just pushing them further into the hands of the fat acceptance movement.

Look at /r9k/. Society refuses to help them integrate into society and laughs at them so they all retreat into their toxic "virgin pride" circlejerk, shooting up schools.
>>
>>8014607
"Low calories food" is already cheap as fuck, it's called "raw food".
Go cook and don't eat more than 1000kcal/day, you don't even have to exercise you lazy fat nigger.
>>
>>8014614
Man i don't know why I bother trying to have intellectual debate on this board. I post a well though out paragraph and it gets replied with a poorly thought out one line meme response.

I'll try one more time.

We have been pushing this advice for aeons. "Buy rice, fish and vegetables, take the time to cook a healthy meal". This advice will work.....if it is actually followed. For years upon years upon years it is completely ignored. After a hard day at work many people can't be bothered to shop and cook especially when there is more and more choice for fast food. Humans are lazy, they will always do that is easiest and more fun, literally why Communism fell. Now instead of accepting this reality and bribing convenience food makers into reducing sugar in their foods so that if the public is going to eat frozen pizza at least it isn't so unhealthy they instead battle on in the lost cause of trying to force a 7 to 6 worker with three kids to cook and predictably this advice continues to be ignored as usual.

Why are we doing this? It's yet another case of advocating what agrees with your morals over what makes logical sense. A classic example is prisons. The Scandinavian system works but the USA will see the Ayatollah in the White House before they accept that being nice to prisoners reduces recidivism. Why? Because it's "morally right" that prisoners be punished. I digress but the same principle exists with obesity It's "morally right" that people should just gain willpower and learn to cook. That's all very well and good but 30 years of rising obesity shows that this advice isn't working. Therefore it's totally ridiculous to keep repeating it and hope for it to magically work on day.

tl;dr the only way to beat obesity is to accept that people are lazy and work with it.
>>
>>8014652
Speaking of unfeasible nanny shit, why not just kill the obese until there's none anymore, removing the market for unhealthy food ?
It would work for generations without maintenance too contrary to your proposal.
>>
>>8014665
>/b/
>>
Yep, it's true, and it doesn't end there.
>>
>>8014607
>1) Subsidize low calorie food

No, this makes it worse. Instead, subsidize food that are calorie dense, nutrient dense, and micro-nutrient dense all combined. Then people can eat a little bit and actually be satisfied.

Raise taxes on foods high in added sugars and artificial sugars.

>2) Psychiatric intervention for every obese person
3) In general stop mocking fat people, you are just pushing them further into the hands of the fat acceptance movement.

I'd rather they die off sooner really. There shouldn't be healthcare for much of what there is healthcare for. Too many sheep and stupid people are reproducing.
>>
>>8012943
>70 years ago food scientists advised governments that eating fat caused obesity. They ignored sugar and conspired to discredit anyone who suggested carbohydrates and sugar were to blame.
This seems to imply that nothing has changed since 70 years ago, when in fact we've known for many decades that sugar contributes to obesity. We're getting to the point where soda bans are about to become mainstream. Yet there are no bans on fatty foods. Your narrative can be completely reversed.

>Anorexia is a recognized mental condition whereas 'obesity' is not.
Anorexia is a behavior, obesity is not. You've set up a false analogy between obesity and anorexia. What is in fact a recognized mental condition is binge-eating, the true complement to anorexia. The complement of obesity is being overly skinny, which is not a mental condition either.
>>
>>8014607

obesity =/= being 600 pounds

equating common obesity with those extreme states in order to argue that obese people have an eating disorder on the same level as someone with anorexia is absolutely ridiculous, not to mention how vastly different and incomparable the pathology of both diagnoses are

you're suggesting things that'd minimize unnecessary eating but paint this picture of all fat people like these 600 lb binge-eating crazies who have no control over themselves

make up your mind about which thing you want to argue about please
>>
>>8012943
>you laugh as millions get sick or die
No I don't. Fuck off with your self-righteous bullshit.

Also: Accountability doesn't sole problems. It just blames people after the fact.
>>
>>8012943
>They ignored sugar
Ignorance happens. Get over it.
>and conspired to discredit anyone who
See, now THAT would be a problem we could fix.

Except you didn't name a source. Why do you think it was intentional on their part rather than a result of mass collective ignorance? (Which has been around since the dawn of man/time.)
>>
>>8012943
>70 years ago food scientists advised governments
>caused by scientists and psychologists
Pick one.
Thread replies: 24
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.