[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
What are your future academic or personal goals and what are
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /sci/ - Science & Math

Thread replies: 83
Thread images: 19
File: 1437351338375.gif (891 KB, 325x252) Image search: [Google]
1437351338375.gif
891 KB, 325x252
What are your future academic or personal goals and what are you doing in order to achieve those goals? (Be realistic.)
>>
>Math
>300k Starting
>>
File: math.jpg (9 KB, 275x183) Image search: [Google]
math.jpg
9 KB, 275x183
>>8012574
>Math
>300k Starting
>>
File: 1455673640268.jpg (14 KB, 581x406) Image search: [Google]
1455673640268.jpg
14 KB, 581x406
>Math
>300k starting
>>
File: images.jpg (15 KB, 190x265) Image search: [Google]
images.jpg
15 KB, 190x265
>Math
>300k Starting
>>
File: 1455067524849.jpg (669 KB, 1713x2021) Image search: [Google]
1455067524849.jpg
669 KB, 1713x2021
>Math
>300k Starting
>>
>>8012574
Frank Underwood
>>
File: image.jpg (67 KB, 599x449) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
67 KB, 599x449
>Math
>300k starting
>>
File: ptg00763124.jpg (40 KB, 396x264) Image search: [Google]
ptg00763124.jpg
40 KB, 396x264
>Math
>300k starting
>>
File: 1123134125123.gif (2 MB, 250x220) Image search: [Google]
1123134125123.gif
2 MB, 250x220
>Get Monbusho Undergrad Scholarship
>Engineering at UTokyo
>Post-grad in Germany/Switzerland/U.K
>Get a Japanese wife for them genetics for my child
>Live a comfy life and die sort of happy
>>
Academic Goals:

Finish Comp. Engineering Bachelors. Intern as an embedded developer. Go to UCLA for masters/ph.d in nanotech.

Personal Goals:
Finish my farming robot prototype that accelerates plant grow to feed an overpopulated word in an eco-friendly manner. Flip the concept of GMO upside down.

Travel to other countries and learn languages besides english so I can better use foreign educational resources and manufacturing.

Build a self-sustaining home with a small laboratory for research.

Research robotics and materials sciences for rest of my life. Build electronics.
>>
>>8012574
>future academic or personal goals

I want to do research in either pure mathematics or computational science.

>what are you doing in order to achieve those goals?

I am currently top of every class in my pure mathematics group and I have to put some effort into that, so the path to pure math research is pretty stable. I also work part time as a software developer so I technically I already have my foot in the industry. All I have to do now is graduate and then apply to companies that do more scientific development.

I think I'm doing pretty good.
>>
>>8012574
>weasel into lab working on life extension with muh BEng
>obtain secrets to eternal life
>sell secrets for enough to build self-sustaining farm completely off grid except internet
>live my life for a change
>>
File: 1388899554357.jpg (25 KB, 403x403) Image search: [Google]
1388899554357.jpg
25 KB, 403x403
>finish med school only 1yr left to go of this bullshit
>get a residency in the field i want (ER) in the location i want (CA)
>finish residency and get my license
>work and make lots money
>eventually either get an MBA and be hospital admin (easily clear 7 figures/yr)
>or open my own urgent cares and be all entrepreneurial and shit and hopefully still clear seven figures
>>
>finish physics degree
>maybe do a masters in engineering/economics if I can deal with any more academia
>probably still have to emigrate to find work
>37k starting
>>
File: 1457081357786.jpg (50 KB, 416x1047) Image search: [Google]
1457081357786.jpg
50 KB, 416x1047
>>8012652
Dang mang. Too familiar. I hope you get it pal. Somebody needs too
>>
>>8012671
Thanks mang. Hope it works out for you too.
>>
>>8012574

I will be attending a good engineering school this fall for mechanical, and I am just looking towards gaining a passion for the field so I can do well.

In terms of what to do with my degree, I don't know yet. I don't want to end up in oil or natural gas, but that's what a lot of mechs end up doing here in Colorado.
>>
>getting B.S. in Physics now
>grad school for astrophysics
>post-doc at university to dick around college girls for a little while longer
>Research Pulsars in correspondence to gravitational waves
>win Nobel Prize in Physics
>Acquire waifu
>2 kids
>name one of them my first name
>More research
>Start education cooperative to help underprivileged kids out of their shit tier status
>win Nobel Peace Prize
>Research
>Deconstruct the standard model by offering a new model with less fine-tuning
>Win 3rd Nobel
>Settle down in California
>become highschool physics teacher

If my meme degree doesn't work out, I'm just going into flipping luxury homes and venture capitalist shit so I can have money to replace broken dreams.
>>
Finish my math degree and get a cozy job doing programming/database stuff. I think it'd be really cool to get a job where I could just look at results from testing semiconductor/electronics/mechanical stresses and tolerances etc. and make the data meaningful for people who are building/engineering.

Just really want my own life at this point, steady income, hole up in some tiny apartment, buy bunch of anime crap, and live a materialistic life.
>>
Finished one career looking to start new career as an actuary. Don't need the money. I just like math.
>>
>>8012641
>Grades will make you a good researcher
If you're at the type of university where it's physically possible to be top of every class, either because your class mates are retarded or because your workload is light then grades won't mean shit, try to get an RA and get published idiot.
>>
crrently undergrad

trying to get involved in a lab for MSE just trying to get a feel for what i like and get more familiar with the field. talking to a professor this week who said he could set me up with something this summer. small steps, should feel good to get paid working in a science setting.
>>
>>8012708
Literally only your first and last points are realistic.
>>
Human goal: get a less stressful career situated; that's enough to pay my bills/debt and have a lot of free time... then just obtain a vast amount of knowledge. Doesn't matter to me where I go with it, but as someone who is alive and thinking...I want to keep thinking...keep learning and discovering what's out there, before becoming nothing.
>>
>>8012638
What you're saying is all retarded.

Are you aware what nanotechnology actually is?
>>
>What are your future academic or personal goals
In the immediate future, start a career in science working a job which I enjoy, and also be able to support a comfortable lifestyle. And hopefully help the world at the same time. My primary goal now is to simply cover all my personal human requirements, such as getting a new car, and hopefully a house of my own some day.
Later on, to be able to use my experience and resources to do my own research, and somehow make a discovery or invention good enough to immortalize myself in history, or support myself financially until I die.

I graduated with my BS recently, hunting for jobs now. I had one at a local contract lab that was shitty and didn't work out. Hopefully the next one will have more long-term prospects. I wish I knew more about what I can do in the mean-time to help pursue my goals, but I feel my options are limited to just landing a decent job. Academia has disillusioned me, I don't think I will be returning unless I work for a company that helps. I live in US and don't have money to go back to school for MS, and PhD sounds just awful from everyone I've talked to.

Honestly my main concerns now are becoming stable and independent enough that I don't have to worry about making a living. This is a big problem for me as I am still young and haven't figured out what exactly I want to do with my life. I'll be happy if I can just do that for now.
>>
>>8012574
Finish BS in biology for pre-med.
Get MS in human genetics.
Go to medical school, become genomic doctor or surgeon i highest paying specialty possible.
Use salary and whatever academic connections possible to conduct research into genetic engineering methods and uses.

It's a bit more elaborate, but that's the gist. Personal goal would be to get my pilots license and a few cars/motorcycles to drive and track occasionally and to expand my gun and book collections.
>>
>>8012574
Finish math phd.
Probably get a high school teaching job because I'm painfully socially retarded.
Enjoying my bubble while it lasts, though.
>>
File: golf master.jpg (53 KB, 652x365) Image search: [Google]
golf master.jpg
53 KB, 652x365
>Math
>300k Starting
>>
File: image.jpg (340 KB, 1242x1438) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
340 KB, 1242x1438
>>
>>8012819
he's right

t. 1st gen immigrant from Europe living in the US of A.
>>
>>8012793
>high school teaching job
>because socially retarded
does not sound like a good plan Anon,
have you considered actuary or data analyst?
>>
>>8012638
do you know what nanotechnology is?

because what you're asking is going to require a long explanation and i already dont like your attitude.
>>
>>8012758
meant to quote

>>8012829
>>
>>8012574
Maybe a finnish engineer, but im not sure if i can bring myself to abandon all the video games and start studying
>>
>>8012638
>Flip the concept of GMO upside down
You're a funny guy, I'll kill you in the middle somewhere.
>>
File: ush.jpg (71 KB, 1200x675) Image search: [Google]
ush.jpg
71 KB, 1200x675
>have a conversation my supervisor for the first time in months
>discover thesis topic
>convince someone to let me go to a summer school/conference
>convince someone to give me a grant/scholarship
>tfw 5 years into studies and apparently everyone else is still more deserving of funding
>0 confidence

i dont know how to achieve these
>>
>>8012574
My only goals at the moment are to stay focused. I'm studying a physics/engineering double degree.

Provided I don't fuck up too bad, it'll be to figure out what I'll be mastering in.
>>
>>8012724
>grades won't mean shit

I'm 100% sure that Terence Tao had good grades in the two weeks he was in undergrad.

I doubt that I'm at the level where I can publish so my grades are the best indicator I have.

Also

>All that rage out of nowhere. Surely someone here was not someone with great dreams who then realized he was actually a piece of shit who never even had the talent required to become a researcher and now gets pissed off with everyone else who has a similar goal.

Eat dick, faggot.
>>
>>8012824
Nah, I can teach fine. I suck at networking, is what I meant.
>>
>>8013078
I still don't get how that works, how/why do people study double degrees?
>>
>>8012724
Why you mad?

You mad that your grades were shit and now you're a loser?
>>
>>8012749
You're a nerd and a dweeb.
>>
>>8013627
they usually do it with overlapping coursework. engineering/physics should be too hard because there are a lot of the same classes in each major. he would just have to take a few extra physics courses in addition to his engineering.

>personal goals
I'm starting a PhD in chemistry next fall. I want to work in R&D and make a fat salary ($100K + within the first few years ideally). I've gotten accepted to a pretty good school and they seem to have industry connections. So i think its pretty achievable. unfortunately, i probably will never have a lab in my house. that's incredibly dangerous and unhealthy, not to mention expensive. dont shit where you eat. no im not studying organic chemistry or drug synthesis.
>>
>>8012574
>your future academic or personal goals

Get a tenured or at least tenure track position. [Or possibly fuck off to finance land for the megabucks]

> what are you doing in order to achieve those goals

Currently a post doc in a high profile lab working on publications for Nature and Science.
>>
>>8013627
engineering is legally defined. having that engineering degree in your pocket as a physicist really opens up doors.
>>
I'm about to graduate and enter nuclear utility. The goal is to be a licensed operator within a decade. Gotta do a shit load more studying
>>
>>8012638
>robot
>eco friendly
>>
>>8012633
Dem NEET hikki genetics man
>>
>>8012708
>tfw the astrophysics PhD at my uni who teaches the astrophysics course is a fulltime high school physics teacher
>>
My personal goal is to continue learning as though I were going to live forever.
>>
File: 1432094438382.jpg (24 KB, 640x640) Image search: [Google]
1432094438382.jpg
24 KB, 640x640
If I don't get called for the scholarship on july I will actually kill myself, so either I live my dream or I die :^)
>>
File: 1439520116363.png (1 MB, 1602x1200) Image search: [Google]
1439520116363.png
1 MB, 1602x1200
Optimally
>graduate with muh double bachelor's in (pure) Chemistry and Mechanical Engineering
>Get some kind of master's in materials science somehow related to nanostructures
>get Ph.D. at ETH thanks to connections and a successful summer internship from two years ago
>become top of my field in noble metal nanostructures
or
>go into politics
>become leader of Texas
>take back rightful texas clay in Oklahoma, New Mexico, and Colorado, etc.
>establish Texas empire
>live out my days setting up my son to rule benevolently
>die knowing I did something good for my people

Realistically
>barely manage to graduate with 3.0+ with said double major
>finish up all my research projects before my department loses all funding due to incompetence
>have to rely on my multiple undergrad publications since shit gpa to get into grad school
>maybe get PhD at ETH if I'm still remembered by chair who is difficult to get a hold of
>try to set up some sort of legacy for myself, maybe go into politics as a senator or something.
>>
>>8012574
Study data science and computational linguistics. Work for Palantir or some such company. Failing that word in a fraud detection group.
>>
File: down_syndrome[1].jpg (16 KB, 270x187) Image search: [Google]
down_syndrome[1].jpg
16 KB, 270x187
Brainlet reporting.

Finish my union's Inside Wireman apprenticeship and use the college credits I earn in getting a 4 year degree. I want to major in mathematics, but everyone keeps telling me to pursue EE. I have some years to decide, I suppose.

I'm self-studying math. Currently working through a Trigonometry textbook from the 60's and Rosen's "Discrete Mathematics with Applications." After these two, I'm planning on picking up Spivak's "Calculus" and a couple books on Set Theory and Logic. It's a slow process because I am autistically compelled to do every exercise in any math book I read.
>>
File: 1436793190543.jpg (49 KB, 392x373) Image search: [Google]
1436793190543.jpg
49 KB, 392x373
>>8012574
Get my Masters

Not a god damned thing because I'm fucking retarded
>>
>>8012664
i just want to make a huge verne gun to charge a fraction of what spaceX and Blue origin do , with some rudimentary technology
>>
Best Case:
>graduate with first class honour in EE
>do another internshit at some top tech company
>Get an MMath at cambridge
>publish papers
>if I'm good enough, go on to do a phD and research in maths
>otherwise head into industry at some top tier firm
>a few years down use experience and knowledge of the industry to start a company

Probable case:
>scrape past this years exams
>do another internship at some tech company
>graduate with a 2:1
>go into industry as a desk slave designing analogue circuits or some other boring shite

Worst case:
>fail exams
>bomb out of education altogether
>mooch off of other people for a while
>try to forget pathetic life
>engage in extremely reckless activity
>die quickly
>>
>>8012574
>Finish my PhD in microbiology
>Become gov't spook
>Weaponize marijuana with DARPA funding
>Subjugate liberals with turbobud
>Never have to listen to whining about capitalism ever again.
>>
>Finish engineering degree
>Intern while finishing degree at some aerospace or aviation company
>get a job there and pay off my loans, then get a house, a car, etc.
>Die proud knowing I had a better and more prosperous life than my father and his father (both poor blue collar workers)
If I fail college then I will probably jump off a bridge or something
>>
At this point it's just to get a fucking job.

I graduated with a Bachelors in mechanical engineering from the University of Utah last semester, and after sending out literally 200 applications I'm close to giving up.

I have a 3.0, an internship, and no idea where the fuck all of these "3 to 5 years of experience required" people come from.
>>
>>8012574
I'm getting my bachelor's in counseling psychology and going to try to counsel students or teach psych at the high school level, so that when I spend the rest of my life trying to make it as a scifi writer, I have a daily firsthand exposure to my audience.
>>
>>8013531
>implying you need network to be a actuary or data analyst
>>
>>8013937
>be smart
>be you

pick one
>>
escape neethood and teach community college or adjunct uni
>>
>get bachelors and certification to work as medical technologist
>later get master's degree in microbiology
>work in food microbiology or something in industry

All in all, I hate my life and want to kill myself. I'm getting too old to go to a PhD and I regret going into STEM. I should have gone into accounting. I regret my entire college career.
>>
File: 1453085450502.jpg (476 KB, 900x720) Image search: [Google]
1453085450502.jpg
476 KB, 900x720
>"medical technologist"
>STEM

Kill yourself please.
>>
>>8015056
Don't rub it in. My life is bad enough.
>>
>>8015085
fuck it. you're doing fine
>>
>>8015085
>be my dad
>make six figures
>sucicide at 55 years old

>be my friend
>literally middle managemnet at a grocery store
>mega happy, great to be arround, super nice guy.

Most people's problems aren't caused by a lack of money.

[spoiler]But seriously. People care about you. Get help dude. Don't let shitty brain chemicals make you sad.[/spoiler]
>>
>>8015102
Thanks anon.

>>8015110
It's just that I feel like I failed myself. I'm not stupid, I just had terrible mentors in college and hit a dead end pursuing environmental microbiology when my employer let me go before I had even gathered a year of experience since they couldn't afford me. I had a string of unemployment that has destroyed my optimism and now I'm back in school pursuing a stable career option; med lab sciences.

I feel like I've failed myself.
>>
>>8015024
>too old to go to a PhD
How old?
>>
Finish network administration degree and then go work at a warehouse sorting shit into boxes for the rest of my life
>>
>>8015135
26 but it's more that I have too many liabilities to be able to do my PhD without having a decent salary at the same time.

My mom is sick and has virtually no money. I'm supporting her.
>>
>>8015123
well, if you goal was "to get x job" then you have certainly "failed" yourself.

[spoiler]Protip: your goal is to be happy. Find a job that you don't hate, make friends you love. Seriously. Don't define your life by how you pay for it.[/spoiler]
>>
>>8015144
You're right, anon. Thanks. I feel like so much of life has been miserable in the last few years and I just wish I could start my career already.
>>
>>8015123
>med lab sciences

Is this stable? Or are you getting memed again like when you studied environmental mirobullshitology?
>>
>>8015161
It's pretty stable. There's a shortage and it requires a national certification so that not just anyone can apply and get it. It doesn't pay that well and mobility can be limited, but it seems like a good fit for my competencies and I need the money.
>>
>>8012574
>Get a bachelor's in Mechanical engineering and chemistry.
>Studying physics, math and English.
>enrolling in state university next year.

Wish me luck mofos.
>>
>>8015202
Ayy m8, just be happy if you have above a 3.0 with that workload. I'm >>8014586. It's shit, I'll tell you that.
>>
>>8013627
I'm mostly doing it because this>>8013880

I don't know how it works elsewhere but in Australia the elective classes make up a little less than half the total points necessary to complete the cause. So I simply elect to do coursework from a different degree. It takes an extra year but that's ok.
>>
>Tfw engineering degrees in my country take 6 years
I swear to god if I don't hear back from any of the international scholarships I applied to I will kill myself
Thread replies: 83
Thread images: 19

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.