[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
What math pre-reqs do I need to study theoretical CS? What major
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /sci/ - Science & Math

Thread replies: 25
Thread images: 2
File: Richard Feynman.jpg (22 KB, 328x450) Image search: [Google]
Richard Feynman.jpg
22 KB, 328x450
I want to get into theoretical CS.

What math pre-reqs should I have?
How & Where are the pre-reqs mentioned applied in theoretical CS?

What major results in CS should I know?
>>
>>8011140
>>>/g/
>>
>>8011140
calculus 1

what are "major results?"
>>
PHD in graph here,

What field of CS are you interested in ?
>>
>>8011505
OP here, glad you responded.

Spent time this weekend studying graph theory. Proved that the number of leaves in a binary tree of height n is at most 2^n & that a binary tree of height n has at most 2^(n+1) - 1 nodes. I also was formally introduced to asymptotic complexity & P vs NP problems and reductions (doing this via self-study).

Found it extremely fascinating. I want to study more but not sure where to go. What resources do you recommend? I have no clue as I'm just reading papers/course notes and following a trail from my own interest in what I can find. I'm not moving on from these areas until I fully grasp the theorems/am able to apply them to future problems and thus far I'm understanding it.

I am very interested in graph theory, logic and algorithms. What research areas of CS do the aforementioned fields of math apply to?

What resources/text should I pick up and learn? What results/theorems should I pick up next?

Based on my interest in logic, graph theory etc. I'd really like to know what area of CS this is so I can focus future research in it.
>>
>>8011528
>just now learning about geometric series
>>
>>8011140
>filename
kek

Also, why did Gödel have a single streak of black hair?
>>
>>8011542
You weren't born knowing low dimensional topology. What a faggot, kill yourself and don't study math.
>>
>>8011546
>>filename
kek, astute observation.

>Also, why did Gödel have a single streak of black hair?

Not sure, probably old age.
>>
>>8011553
It's just odd that it's in a single streak.

It's sort of unique to him. It looks cool though.
>>
>>8011528

Graph theory is a area of CS in itself, depending on the country. But if you want something really CS, you can try to shoot for algorithmic on graph or optimisation.

Overall I'd say the math you need are algebra, calculus and probability(this one is very important).

In CS, you need graph ( read the bondy murty, try to do the exercises) complexity (arora barak: http://theory.cs.princeton.edu/complexity/book.pdf) algorithmic ( cormen ) and for optimisation try : schrijver combinatorial optimization.
>>
>>8011587
Thanks, notes and will go through your recommendations.

Found the graph book: http://www.iro.umontreal.ca/~hahn/IFT3545/GTWA.pdf
>>
>>8011594

Quick question.
How old are you, do you study ?
>>
>>8011602
Beginning to study CS. I don't know much at this point.
>>
>>8011587
>>8011528
Also a good idea: Discrete mathematics(this should be on the top of your list for anything concerning graphs) and Theory of Computation(formal languages, automata etc.)
>>
>>8011619
ok great thanks. what discrete book do you recommend?
>>
>>8011640
Try pic related
>>
>>8011542
Who cares? Everyone starts somewhere.
>>
>>8011140
>What math pre-reqs should I have?

7th grade algebra
>>
>>8011140
Get a math degree
>>
>>8013249
Meant undergrad math degree. That way you'll get exposure to algebra, analysis, etc
>>
>>8011140
Have you looked at regular languages and shit like that? It's my least favourite part of CS along with graph theory, if you like graph theory you might like that
>>
>>8014927
How can you not like graph theory?
>>
>>8015785
I'm shit at puzzle type things
I love calculus and unfortunately CS is mostly discrete. Linear algebra makes it worth it.
>>
>>8011140
Just double major bby. If you're early enough in your college years that you can do it, do it. I was on the fence as to what I should major in so I ended up doing a minor in History and now I'm finishing up a minor in Math.

I should have focused on math earlier on, but i was honestly always scared of math because I had a bad foundation in high school.
Thread replies: 25
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.