[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Did we draw the short straw in the game of life? Born good at
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /sci/ - Science & Math

Thread replies: 30
Thread images: 2
File: 42543423.png (524 KB, 538x539) Image search: [Google]
42543423.png
524 KB, 538x539
Did we draw the short straw in the game of life?

Born good at music, art or sport:
>Wildly popular is school
>Can be in the big leagues from 17 onwards
>Not hard to get into so long as you have the talent
>Supportive environment where everyone is a winner so long as you try
>Girls are all over you
>Exciting social life
>Can do your own thing, no need to be in a company
>Can make a name for yourself

Be born good at science or maths:
>Usually bullied for it at school
>Girls mostly don't give a shit some even avoid you over it.
>Ultra competitive, all your ideas and work is constantly dismissed as babby tier until you have a PhD
>Virtually impossible to make a name for yourself
>Even more impossible to be an independent freelancer
>Career can't start until you're mid-20s and even then you're a junior underdog. if you get anywhere it is by the time you are mid-30s.
>Autistic arrogant strange peers

If I could I'd 100% trade being good at STEM for musical or sporting skill. Everyone I know who is good at these things is enjoying life much more than I am.
>>
The truth is that, in reality, you're mediocre in math and science, and likely would be mediocre in sports if you were given an equivalent skill level; the other prevailing truth is that that mediocrity in either area will only get you moderately far in life - in fact, you'll probably go further with your comparatively low understanding of stem than you would with equivalent understanding in music.
>>
Why not both? I'm good at STEM and at sports as well as art. Get out level plen.
>>
>>8011089
>Usually bullied for it at school
Nope, went to a boarding school where academia was everything. Try not being born a poorfag with parents who love you, idiot.
>Girls mostly don't give a shit some even avoid you over it.
The only type of girl who doesn't bore me to shit does.
>Ultra competitive, all your ideas and work is constantly dismissed as babby tier until you have a PhD
Not true, your work is baby tier because it's baby tier, nothing to do with your qualifications.
>Virtually impossible to make a name for yourself
See people like Kestler who earns over 200k for a single weekend's training session.
>Even more impossible to be an independent freelancer
See also literally any expert, firm or well known academic.
>Career can't start until you're mid-20s and even then you're a junior underdog. if you get anywhere it is by the time you are mid-30s.
And how the fuck does my internships from 18 not contribute to my career? Not only was I paid but the experience probably boosted my salary later, a career starts when you start building it, not when you start earning 6 figs.
>Autistic arrogant strange peers
Who I get along with better than normies.
>>
I'm good at drawing (I suppose it's my "talent") and I can say that it's much easier to make a career out of mathematical skills than it is from artistic skills. Music is probably even more overcompetetive if you want to make money out of it and even if you manage to break through, you'll be most likely forgotten in 5-10 years like most artists do. Both arts and music are good for getting female attention but not good enough to compensate for social ineptitude (which is actually pretty common among those who are into visual arts). Most professional artists and musicians I know work in a company, going independent is really difficult and insecure.
>>
Its genetics bro.

Beautiful people dont need to try. Ever wondered who posted all this "dude just travel let new opportunities arise"?

Hot people who get shit handed to them in life.

Its literally another life, where you dont have to try and people are happy being associated to you...
>>
>>8011089
>>Can be in the big leagues from 17 onwards
>>Not hard to get into so long as you have the talent
>>Supportive environment where everyone is a winner so long as you try
You're not good enough at science to compare yourself to athletes at this level.
>>
>>8011094
Even if you are a Mochizuki-tier genius absolutely nothing I said is untrue. Only memed out "child geniuses" like Jacob Barnett got early fame and recognition and event hat has dried up for him. The only STEM guys who got rich and famous in recent history was Jobs, Zuckerberg, Gates and Musk and it was only because all four quit academia and went into business instead.

Meanwhile If you are even moderately good at sport it's not hard to tryout for the local team, same with music, just give out a few mixtapes to the right people and just like that you're a somebody. I know many people who have done this. You get to be your own person, you get to enjoy life, as a STEM cuck you'e just another identical cog in the wheel.
>>
>>8011105
>Try not being born a poorfag with parents who love you, idiot
THESE WOOOOOOUNDS THEY WIIIIIILLLL NOT HEAAAAAALLLLLL

In other words, mommy and daddy didn't love you enough and now you're an edgy fag.
>>
>>8011105
> boarding school
So already you admit you had to be born rich
>The only type of girl who doesn't bore me to shit does
Art and music types get way more girls this isn't even up for debate
>Not true, your work is baby tier because it's baby tier
A hip-hop mixtape is baby tier compared to Mozart yet it still gets praised. Compare this to STEM where you spend decades studying 300 year old mechanics that nobody cares about anymore. Easier to stand out in arts
>training session
So not actual STEM, more business
>See also literally any expert, firm or well known academic
What like black science guy? The fact that the only scientists in the public eye are the ones who mostly quit STEM to whore out on TV
>And how the fuck does my internships from 18 not contribute to my career? Not only was I paid but the experience probably boosted my salary later, a career starts when you start building it, not when you start earning 6 figs
But you're just another faceless salaryman, sitting in a cubicle, working on some mundane shit, easy to replace with another sperg with identical qualifications
>Who I get along with better than normies
So you're as autistic as they are. Part of the problem.
>>
>>8011111
Nigger it's not hard to get into a football team if you have some skill at it. my cousin plays for Yeovil FC, my next door neighbour is signed to a record label and all he does is fuck around on GarageBand.
>>
>>8011112
Giving out a few mixtapes and doing a gig every now and then isn't usually enough to make a living. And even if it is, you'll be probably forgotten once the next musical trend begins. Making music or art is a hobby for most of us who do it, comparing it to making a career out of scientific or mathematical skills is just dumb. Most musicians are just a cog in the wheel in their day jobs. And even most art jobs aren't the free artist type of jobs but making music, sound effects or design for some company (comparable to a STEM guy dropping academia and going business I guess) or teaching.

I mean yeah, making yourself a "somebody" is pretty easy in art and music but it's a field with tons of "somebodies". Being a somebody in music most often just means that the people in your local scene might recognize you. Being on a label doesn't really mean much either.
>>
>>8011118
>Art and music types get way more girls this isn't even up for debate
They get way more retarded poorfag girls that's fine by me.
>A hip-hop mixtape is baby tier compared to Mozart yet it still gets praised.
It really doesn't.
>So not actual STEM, more business
No you retard it's an advanced distillation design course for professional engineers.
>
You don't need to be famous to be a freelancer. What the fuck is this? Anyway even crappy academics are more famous than above average muscicians. Mediocre athletes are basically dirt.
>faceless salaryman
Grow up.
>sitting in a cubicle
I've had my own office since I was 20, corner office since I graduated. Never sat in a cubicle in any case.
>working on some mundane shit
Speak for yourself.
>easy to replace with another sperg with identical qualifications
There's precisely 4 people on the planent who can do my job without 5 years of additional training and one of them is my former adviser.
>So you're as autistic as they are. Part of the problem.
Your problem is that you think acting boring, stupid and reserved like everyone else trying to fit in the box of insecurity will get you laid, but I'm willing to bet it hasn't worked for you so far. Stop trying to please strangers.
>>
>>8011120
You know that being signed to a local, independent record label and a local, unsuccessful football club will make you no money at all? Further, nobody in professional sports is a "winner so long as you try," and it takes more than "some skill" to be successful at it. I know people who have been signed to a record label for 5 years, and they have no presence or name more than 100 miles from my small hometown and work at grocery stores for a living. They have it even worse than someone of equal talent in a STEM field.
>>
>>8011118
So you're saying that it's OK to drop your musical ambitions and go whore out your musically unintellectual mixtape for $$$ but somehow in STEM this is not OK? In classical/art music, which is much more comparable to scientific academia, you have to practice a ton to learn to play 300 year old songs nobody cares about anymore.
>>
>>8011122
>>8011135
Nigger it's not about the money it's about quality of life. STEM quality of life isn't great considering the amount of effort we put in. Little appreciation from society or even your peers, the money is not even great, it's just steady.
>>8011133
>There's precisely 4 people on the planet who can do my job
Uh huh keep telling yourself that. Piss off your boss and he sacks you. You're dispensable
>Your problem is that you think acting boring, stupid and reserved like everyone else trying to fit in the box of insecurity will get you laid, but I'm willing to bet it hasn't worked for you so far. Stop trying to please strangers.
Yes fuck being social right? Being a special snowflake autismo hated by all is better for your wellbeing right? Humans are totally not social creatures right?If you don't care what others think why do you wear similar clothes to everyone else? Why do you act similar to everyone else? Why are you not showing up to work dressed up as Abraham Lincoln? Hypocrite.
>>
>>8011133
If you're happy with your little office life then good for you but not me, I'd rather be a rockstar.
>>
>>8011162
Uh huh keep telling yourself that. Piss off your boss and he sacks you. You're dispensable
You've obviously never worked in the real world if you think your boss can fire you just because you pissed him off in any non-meme company.

>Yes fuck being social right?
Except I am social, I might prefer more interesting company, but I can charm normies whenever I want. I'd just rather go out drinking with STEM academics/professionals than generic clubslag #435 512 214 who can't talk about anything other than shitty music and alcohol.
>Being a special snowflake autismo hated by all is better for your wellbeing right? Humans are totally not social creatures right?If you don't care what others think why do you wear similar clothes to everyone else? Why do you act similar to everyone else? Why are you not showing up to work dressed up as Abraham Lincoln? Hypocrite.
Now you just went full retard, none of that follows logically.
>>
>>8011162
>Nigger it's not about the money it's about quality of life. STEM quality of life isn't great considering the amount of effort we put in. Little appreciation from society or even your peers, the money is not even great, it's just steady.

What's stopping from a STEM fag to start a music/art hobby? Most musicians who you seem to adore so only do it as a hobby after all, even if they're on a label and do shows. Somehow you've gotten this idea that STEM people can only do STEM in their lives and nothing else. That great artist quality of life is there for you to take but I can assure you that it's not as great or as easy as you think.

Of course if you build your life around doing autism calculations in a cubicle while not even enjoying it and completely neglect everything else, your life is going to suck. But the day jobs of lots of musicians isn't much better either, only the tip of the iceberg of artists actually do it as their day job. Usually they do music or arts because they dislike their actual job. You'd be surprised how many of them have STEM degrees.
>>
>>8011165
Rockstar in STEM would be equivalent to either owning a major company, being popscientists/elon tier or being a -get your name in the history books/prize winning- researcher all of which is far superior life to the rockstart meme.

There are far more failed musicians than STEMfags, you're a failure at STEM so your equivalent life with talent in music would be some 30 year old living in his parents' basement who occasionally gets gigs at a local bar.
>>
>>8011162
>considering the amount of effort we put in
You keep using the word "we," but you're posts would suggest that you are not an academic and have yet to actually achieve anything in STEM.
>>
>>8011096
same senpai, and life was still hard for me. In reality the rule of thumb is to not be poor. If you're poor then you're fucked and can't even go to school unless you join the Military
>>
>muh false dichotomy
you're just a sad autist
>>
>>8011174
But I'm not good at music or art which is why I'm stuck doing autism calculations in a cubicle. I'm trying to escape by doing business instead but idk if I'll even be good at it. Fuck STEM, "work hard at school, go to university, you'll get a top job, you'll find a nice wife, everything will be okay, all lies to keep me keeping the wheels of capitalism turning. Should have just said fuck school and done my own thing from day one. I was chosen for a rugby team when I was 17, I was taking guitar lessons from 6, dropped it all to concentrate on school, now look at me I'm pretty much this guy, stuck in STEM, too old to be a sports or music star
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1ViQEsoxWfE
>>
>>8011200
>If you're poor then you're fucked and can't even go to school unless you join the Military
Only in the land of the free.
>>
>>8011208
So you just made a bad career choice? It's not the fault of STEM.
>>
>>8011089
My plan:
>Fuck around having fun and learning math at 0.25x speed
>Turn 40
>Green's Theorem
>>
File: two_girls_pointing_laughing_6.jpg (24 KB, 412x291) Image search: [Google]
two_girls_pointing_laughing_6.jpg
24 KB, 412x291
>>8011089
>Be born good at science or maths
>Have enough to retire any time you want by mid-30s

Feels fucking great to be good at STEM.
>>
>>8011089
All of these factors depend on social comprehension. You can succeed in your social life, even if it is centered around academia, unless you're too autistic to effectively communicate with people, or you're self-asserted intellectual superiority complex causes you to purposely separate.

I still get shitcocked and sleep with semi-average cum dumpsters even though I'm working towards my meme degree. Sucks to suck if you can't do both queerbags.
>>
>>8011257
>retiring in your mid 30s on £35k
Ha Ha
Thread replies: 30
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.