[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Get A Load of This /sci
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /sci/ - Science & Math

Thread replies: 51
Thread images: 1
File: BSN.png (368 KB, 1440x860) Image search: [Google]
BSN.png
368 KB, 1440x860
Bachelor in Nursing declared toughest major.

This was actually posted on my Facebook page today.
>>
>>8010179
better let them know how you feel. go ahead anon, make an angry comment. DO IT FAGGOT
>>
>>8010179
Nurses are babbling retards compared to even the worst of doctors, the said, it's the only BS conferred by a professional school, should be obvious.
>>
>>8010193
>DO IT FAGGOT

Who the fuck you calling a faggot you little sniveling piece of shit.
>>
>>8010179
Lol. Though, honestly, people who major in nursing are most likely women who failed out of some other program then decided to make their new nursing degree a central part of their identity. I've found the kind of person who's going to pull this shit is the same type of person that calls being a parent the hardest job in the world, or constantly bitches about how hard it is to be a woman, and you kind of just go with it because the argument isn't worth it.
>>
>>8010193

Ask your mother how much of a faggot I am.
>>
>>8010209
yeah you wanna fight little pussy? just like you chose to post a screencap of the thing that made you angry here instead of confronting them?

yeah I know what you are. you're a faggot. if you weren't a faggot you would go and let them know how angry it makes you
>>
>>8010179
But they are not wrong, they probably checked the numbers and they do get the most assignments.

However, there is a fundamental flaw in judging a degree on how much stuff you gotta do and this shows it. I mean, anyone would logically think that engineers have it harder.

A personal example would be my pure mathematics education. We almost never get any kind of homework, we barely get 'classwork' that is always a short 'solve this clever problem' or 'prove this clever proposition' and that is it, it doesn't take more than 5 minutes. Furthermore, we don't do many tests, probably one every month per class (and we only have 5 classes per semester).

However, with all that, I know that most people succeeding as nurses would not even be able to pass the first semester of a pure mathematics education.

But if the numbers check out then who are you to insult them? I would kill myself if I had to do all that shit, that is why I'm studying a "smart" degree rather than a "labor" degree.
>>
>>8010218

I did comment on it you asshole.
And if we were in person I'd knock the shit out of you. Now go back to sucking you momma's titties--after I'm done fucking her in the ass.
>>
Hahaha I'm doing nursing and all I hear from my peers is about how hard it is, but I think we all know the truth to that.

>>8010210
Wrong, most women start by trying be a nurse and then switch majors because there GPA isn't high enough. Nursing isn't hard because of the content/coursework but schools are competitive so you're expected to keep a high gpa. Considering our course load this still isn't difficult but people to get shit on because they can't get A's in something relatively easy like Chem 1/2 lol.
>>
>>8010227
>we almost never get any kind of homework

>he doesn't get a deceivingly short 50 hours problem set due next week
>he never experienced the grueling joy of math55
>he doesn't know the feel of suffering and getting to the last of your energy and feeling good just doing half of it

why even live?
>>
>>8010232
holy shit you're really a badass
I mean, posting shit of people you know in an anime imageboard
>I did comment on it
yeah, bullshit. a faggot wouldn't do that and you're a faggot
>>
>>8010236
>he doesn't get a deceivingly short 50 hours problem set due next week

I have never seen that however I must admit that I am still pretty early.

The closest thing to that would be when we did babby's first set theory class and we were asked to prove all 10 fundamental identities like commutativity of the union and shit.

>he never experienced the grueling joy of math55

I don't know what that is.

>he doesn't know the feel of suffering and getting to the last of your energy and feeling good just doing half of it

Why would I want to suffer?

Seriously, pure math was meant to be a comfy degree for relatively smart people. If you are already struggling and you aren't in grad school then I got bad news about your education buddy. It has been turned into a retarded dick measuring competition.
>>
>>8010240
>eah, bullshit. a faggot wouldn't do that and you're a faggot

Yeah, you're right...I'm a faggot...let me fuck you in the ass and then cum in your father's face.
>>
>>8010245
I'm struggling because I'm taking graduate classes while being an undergrad and doing independent study as well. That's what you should be doing if you want to get into a good program.

Math55 is a legendarily hard undergrad class at Harvard, look it up.
>>
>>8010179
>toughest major
because most exams and assignments?
>>
>>8010249
>I'm struggling because I'm taking graduate classes while being an undergrad and doing independent study as well. That's what you should be doing if you want to get into a good program.

Well, being a researcher has always sounded fun but my own decisions have carried me to a different path. I don't have any time to take extra classes or do too much independent study (but I still do) because while I study I also work part time as a software developer. Everyday when I come back home I have 4 - 6 hours of personal time, depending on how early I want to sleep, and I would not like that number to shrink.

Maybe when I reach my senior year my perspective will change but for now money looks a lot sexier than academic qualifications.

>Math55 is a legendarily hard undergrad class at Harvard, look it up.

>In the class of 1970, only 20 of the 75 students who began the class finished it due to its difficulty.

This sounds exactly like turning mathematics into a dick measuring contest.

The idea of the course sounds way too dramatic. To just push 4 years of mathematics into 2 semesters is retarded but I guess some people are way more determined to get into graduate school.
>>
>>8010234
Not of the people I know. The way I've seen it happen is they go to a 4 year college (usually some state school, but not the flagship one, so a mediocre college at best) to study something like marketing or biology and then do really shitty (some time within the first two years) and drop out by the end of their sophomore year then enroll in a community college nursing program.

That's how I've always seen it happen. Then when they make the change they begin to go on and on about how nursing is so important/difficult/lucrative.

>>8010245
Math 55 is the hardest undergrad math class in the US. It's a class at Harvard for the most gifted students (usually US Mathematical Olympiad or International Mathematical Olympiad competitors/winners). I think they typically go through abstract algebra an real and complex analysis. They recommend you have completed calculus I & II (single variable), introductory linear algebra, a class on ODEs, multivariate calculus, and some introductory vector math class (just to introduce what vectors are, what vector spaces are, and some stuff like Euler's Identity). I hear it's fucking bonkers. In high school, I was an academic stud especially with mathematics, but math 55 would have almost certainly been too much for me, I'd probably have done math 45 and worked my ass off.
>>
>>8010268
They're probably getting their associates or something.

But I'll admit people who brag about nursing are annoying. A girl I went to hs with won't stop talking about achieving her RN, but I know all she did was take adderall and memorize flash cards.
>>
>>8010266
i dropped my part time dev job for math actually
priorities, everyone has theirs
>>
>>8010285
Why couldn't you do both?
>>
>>8010287
no time. I started to gather more activities and realized I wanted to be a research mathematician. so I got more involved with my research project and enrolled in graduate level classes, now there's no time for more
>>
>>8010283
oh god I hate those types that brag endlessly about their degree.
>>
Nursing is a major where you have to take a full load of work heavy classes every semester and have to maintain a high gpa or they kick you out. Not to mention, the majority of those who take the major aren't the most intelligent people out there. Usually just basic bitches who want to make enough money to buy expensive clothes.

For them, it would be tough. You wouldn't consider something like business to be hard, but for many of the people who take it, it is. Frat boys and nurses are two types of people who fall on that lower side of the IQ distribution. I could see why it's tough for them.
>>
>>8010283
I can't remember exactly what it is, but it is a nursing certificate at the end. Maybe CNA?
>>
>>8010210
/thread
>>
>>8010283
This. Memorization doesn't equal smart.
>>
>>8010179
>This was actually posted on my Facebook page today.
Asks me how I know you're a fucking faggot
>>
>>8010227
>it doesn't take more than 5 minutes

What? Are you in 1st year or something?
>>
Something something equivalence

Something something whatever
>>
>>8010227
Took me 7 hours to do two proofs yesterday. I worked through both proofs fairly quickly and internalized one to where I truly understood it. Wasn't convinced of the second proof so spent the entire rest of the time reproving it in a more convincing way (to myself), even though both versions of the proof were logically valid for that one theorem. Now the two theorems seem trivial after internalizing them.

Long gone are the days where a math problem takes 5 minutes. I don't disgusted with anything else you said. At one point I wanted to become a doctor and remember the insane amount of work we did.
>>
just checked my old uni folder (physics bachelor)
3rd semester: 54 assignements
4th semester: 46 assignements
plus a dozen lab reports spread out in that time, (lets count them as one series exam, whatever that might be)
plus 9 exams

extrapolated to 4 years that would be
400 assignements
48 reports
36 exams

I dunno about nursing, but what i know from hanging out with medicine/biology/psychology students (and having graded some of their exams) their exams might be frequent, but they are rather short, an hour or less, and often multiple choise (because fuck grading 400+ complex handwritten excercises)

so with science exams being worth at least twice as much, we still had over twice as many assignemets, which - as >>8010227 mentioned - can take a whole fucking day to solve, we can conclude that this World Record in Inflating Numbers means as much as the nursing "degree"
>>
>>8010844
>so with science exams being worth 140353569369369 as much
judging the difficulty of a degree by the amount of shit you have to do is just retarded
>>
>>8010588
I'm imagining you staying up all night right before your Real Analysis essay is due, looking up sources to cite for your chosen topic of applications of cardinality to river ecosystems.
>>
>>8010810
>math problem
>longer than 5 minutes
I think you're just dumb
>>
What is it with American and exams? One exam per course should be enough!
>>
>>8010902
Bait spotted
>>
>>8010227
>We almost never get any kind of homework
That doesn't sound good. Doing the problem sets is the only way to learn math.
>>
>>8010844
>we can conclude that this World Record in Inflating Numbers means as much as the nursing "degree"
Are you seriously going so far as to imply that nursing isn't even a real degree you elitist faggot?
>>
>>8010912
>That doesn't sound good. Doing the problem sets is the only way to learn math.
Most courses here don't bother assigning problems but you are expected to do a lot of exercises from the book.
>>
>>8010203
>compared to even the worst of doctors
You have no idea what you're talking about, never underestimate the stupidity of the human specie.
>>
>>8010179
I dunno about the degree but nursing is a fucking hard job.
>inb4 solving muh triple integrals is harder!
Come back to me after you've spent 12 hour shifts on your feet in piss and vomit covered overalls caring for dying people.
>>
>>8010930
>you are expected to do a lot of exercises from the book.
I see. We got exercises from the book, but mostly exercises that weren't from the book and covered some interesting application or further notion. It was interesting.
>>
>>8010810
Well, like I said I'm still fairly early in.

Things could change, but the way I see things I doubt that we will ever have to be working on the level of a nurse, turning in work after work endlessly.

Math is comfy.
>>
>>8010912
So far there has not been a single topic that I have not understanded immediately.

When I see a problem set I try to solve what I consider to be hardest ones and as so I only end up doing like 2 or 3.
>>
>>8010897

No, just spending more time than that trying to come up with proofs for some classes. Sure, proofs in 2nd year didn't take that long and were usually pretty obvious if you had a grasp of the material, but I find in 4th year courses they can take quite a while to come up with, and once you do just writing one out definitely takes more than 5 minutes.
>>
>>8010902
> tfw when you develop a rigorous proof for the twin prime conjecture in 5 minutes, no sweat
>>
>>8010232
Aww, baby hush. Next time you're in the hospital remember who's setting the iv.
>>
Nursing to an extent would be hard.
Most people who are staying at hospitals are assholes because they just want to go home, so they would never listen to you.
It'd be way easier for me to grind equations all day, then try to be compassionate and patient with a bunch of mean sick/hurt people.
>>
>>8012737

But that's not the point of the OP.
The OP says that getting the nursing degree is harder than any other major.
>>
>>8010179
>Contrary to some claims being made on various social-networking sites, Guinness World Records does not recognise record categories such as "toughest" or "most difficult" course, as these are not objectively measurable. As such, any such claim is absolutely false. [1]

Thankfully they are not idiots.

You could measure paper-workload (credit points) but even that is not objective.

[1] http://www.snopes.com/inboxer/trivia/toughest.asp
Thread replies: 51
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.