[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
What happens if you let go of a helium balloon? Where does it
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /sci/ - Science & Math

Thread replies: 31
Thread images: 3
File: helium-balloon-2.jpg (12 KB, 400x266) Image search: [Google]
helium-balloon-2.jpg
12 KB, 400x266
What happens if you let go of a helium balloon? Where does it end up going?
>>
ballon heavan
>>
It goes really high up in the sky until it reaches equillibrium. It wont escape the atmosphere, itll travel maybe 10 miles up. Then, as the pressure and temp drops, the helium will escape rapidly and the balloon will come right back down.
>>
>>8009333
i like this response better :3
>>
>>8009347
So how far away from its original location do you figure it would be when it came back down?
>>
>>8009358
1 light-years
>>
>>8009358
Could be hundreds and hundreds of miles with the gulf streams and winds pushing it around so high up there.
However, I always thought it was the case that the balloon bursts when the pressure on the outside becomes too low.
>>
>>8009362
No, .01 Light-Seconds at most.
>>
>>8009333
What's it like in ballon heavan?
>>
>>8009333
Beautiful
>>
up
>>
>>8009347
>It goes really high up in the sky until it reaches equillibrium.
It goes high up, but as air pressure decreases outside the balloon the internal volume increases, causing it to rupture.
>>
>>8009526
don't tell me the balloon dies just from doing what it's designed to do..
>>
>>8009529
You do it too.
>>
>>8009529
Eventually everything dies just from doing what it's designed to do. Even with proper care it will eventually stop working due to wear and tear from doing it's destined tasks.
>>
>>8009537
What about when technology advances and I can either become a cyborg or upload my brain into the internet
>>
>>8009542
every time you copy there's a small chance of corrupting your data
i guess...
>>
>>8009568
checksums nigga
>>
>>8009542
Brain in a vat
>>
>>8009625
brain in a vat or balloon in balloon heaven

what is the difference
>>
File: pop_strip2.jpg (130 KB, 512x1253) Image search: [Google]
pop_strip2.jpg
130 KB, 512x1253
>>8009329
http://news.spaceweather.com/category/high-altitude-ballooning/
>>
ITT, a bunch of "scientists"
it goes to Mars
>>
>>8009645
does that mean my baloon will go to mars
>>
>>8009647
>he never learned how the brave little toaster went to mars
>>
niggers steal it
>>
>>8009366
>>8009526
Thats why i said "helium escapes rapidly" :)
>>
>>8009630
Why not transfer your consciousness into a cyborg balloon?
>>
>>8009526
Also, the frigid temperatures don't allow the rubber to expand, instead shrinking it, causing tears and ruptures.

But the balloon soul, or the helium, is released slowly into space.
>>
>>8009377
>3 megametres
>>
>>8009329
Up
>>
>>8009542
>upload my brain into the internet
SOMA
Thread replies: 31
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.