[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Hello /sci/. I am a GED holder who while looking for a new job,
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /sci/ - Science & Math

Thread replies: 22
Thread images: 3
File: download (8).jpg (8 KB, 221x228) Image search: [Google]
download (8).jpg
8 KB, 221x228
Hello /sci/.
I am a GED holder who while looking for a new job, am in the process of trying to better myself and make myself a more intelligent and productive member of society.

As such, I'd like to begin picking up new mathematical skills and learning more about how the world works. For example, I'd like to learn about the following:
>Astronomy
>Algebraic Thinking(I suck at Algebra. Would like to improve.)
>Calculus
>Mathematics in general(I barely pased the math portion of my GED test, suck at multiplication, can't barely do shit in my head. Would like to improve tihs.)
>Biology(?)
>Physics
>Anything that you can recommend me to make me more smart

How long would it take me to get a basic grasp of all of these things and/or basic concepts? Or useful concepts?

Thank you /sci/. I look forward to improving myself.
>>
>>8005368
Oh also, this is more in line with /lit/, but I'd also like to work on improving my vocabulary.

I should probably have posted this in /adv/, but the things I'm looking on improving and learning on are mostly /sci/ related things so I figured it'd best be a topic for this board.
>>
>>8005368
http://4chan-science.wikia.com/wiki/Astronomy_Textbook_Recommendations
http://4chan-science.wikia.com/wiki/Math_Textbook_Recommendations
http://4chan-science.wikia.com/wiki/Mathematics
http://4chan-science.wikia.com/wiki/Biology_Textbook_Recommendations
http://4chan-science.wikia.com/wiki/Physics_Textbook_Recommendations
>>
>>8005393
Thank you sir.
>>
>>8005368
Go to Khan Academy. This will be your best friend next to MIT open courseware if you are serious about learning.
>>
>>8005406
What is the grade level of the average American? And what should I study on Khan Academy to become more /sci/user like?
>>
>>8005438
Not him; but if you're bad at math start at precalculus or algebra 2. If you don't get something, watch the videos. If you get it, still do at least a couple exercises.
If you're looking to do more efficient math, I would recommend signing up for AoPS (Art of Problem Solving - it's primarily a paid program but there is a free portion of the site that gives practice problems and explanations for best/most efficient way of solving the problem. This is probably best for your desire to improve mental math skills. Pick up the AoPS textbooks if you have the money and find the free stuff on the site useful -- or if you are okay with using a tablet or something just pirate the textbook off of somewhere.)
>>
>>8005452
Thank you sir. Will do.
Also I'm working on a schedule right now. Would an hour a day of Khan Academy do me good? Or should I bump it up to an hour and thirty minutes/two hours?
>>
File: maxresdefault.jpg (60 KB, 1280x720) Image search: [Google]
maxresdefault.jpg
60 KB, 1280x720
>>8005456
An hour seems reasonable. Make sure to do the mastery challenges when they become available to you.
I wish you good luck on your academic ventures, friendo :))))
>>
Here's my retarded schedule for when I have days off of work(I work part time)

8:45 AM: Wake up, eat, fill water cup
9:00 AM: Run/Bike for 30 minutes(more to wake up instead of exercise)
9:30 AM: Study Calculus
10:30 AM: Study Algebra
11:30 AM: Eat
12:00 PM: Do Khan Academy shit
1:00 PM: Run/Bike for 30 minutes
1:30 PM: Read a(good) book(for vocabulary)
2:30 PM: Study economics
3:30 PM: Do programming stuff
4:30 PM: Do writing stuff(I want to start doing novel shit, or short stories for my own personal enjoyment)
5:30 PM: End

From here, I guess I'll have the rest of the day to do whatever the fuck I want, but I'll probably make a point somewhere to try to do atleast 35 math problems through the day, and to read another 30 minutes/hour.

Thoughts?

Also will browsing an hour a day of /sci/ make me smarter or stupider?
>>
>>8005368
>i suck at algebra
Many people who say this use variables in programming with ease, not realising it's exactly the same thing.
>>
>>8005481

what a waste of an existence...rofl
>>
>>8005483
Quite right, he should be spending 16 hours a day shitposting and fapping to furry loli traps like normal people, right?

Fuck off dickhead. Nobody needs your petty minded piss poor attempts at edgedouchelordery.
>>
>>8005483
Well fuck.
I don't know what else to do to try to improve myself...

Shit I should add "go to the fucking gym" to the list.
>>
>>8005492
Nah dude your schedule is pretty fuckin' lit.
Keep at it. Read some of Stephen King's short stories; good stuff. :)
>>
>>8005492

take your schedule and chose the things that are towards your 'goal': you want to learn alot of stuff? cut the dumb bike/running shit out. You think any scientist/engineer is good looking/ripped? No they're bald and have a beer belly, that is because they have a GOAL TO STUDY AND LEARN ALL DAY.

vice versa for bodybuilders, you think they have time to learn equations and shit?
>>
File: 1444940916339.jpg (65 KB, 500x362) Image search: [Google]
1444940916339.jpg
65 KB, 500x362
Not OP but realistically speaking, how long would it take for someone to git gud at math? I fell for the engineering meme and I'm pretty much a retard at this point. Where do I even start?
>>
>>8005511
I didn't put them on there to get ripped. I put them on there because I have type 1 diabetes and need to exercise to help keep my glucose in check.

My goal here isn't really to become some super genius(although that wouldn't hurt), it's just to become less of a faggot neet lowlife loser.
>>
>>8005514
Should I just dedicate my fucking days off to doing nothing but studying? I feel like I'd go crazy without any vidya. Then again right now I'm OVERINDULGING in vidya to escape my pathetic reality. Maybe a long ass break from gaming is a good thing.
>>
>>8005588
bump
>>
>>8005511
Nigger, you can be healthy and be a good scientist at the same time. Quit rationalizing your fatness by saying it's because your an amazing scientist or somethinf
>>
>>8005481
if you don't know algebra there's no point in trying to learn calculus. take it in pieces
Thread replies: 22
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.