[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Is terraforming Mars to the point where there are oceans and
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /sci/ - Science & Math

Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 1
Is terraforming Mars to the point where there are oceans and foliage actually feasible, or just a popsci meme?
>>
>>8005121
it's a meme
>>
>>8005121
We can't even control our own climate yet
>>
>>8005121
The latter.

It is not outside the realm of plausibility to get small oceans, the ability to go outside without a spacesuit, and some plant life, but Mars will always be cold and dry relative to Earth.

Consult Martyn J Fogg's Terraforming for an in-depth scientific analysis of the concept for an academic audience.
>>
crash the largest asteroid belt objects objects on Mars and and you will at least get new craters and a reasonably big lake
Only problem, our technology is not advanced enough to to this.
>>
>>8005121
Difficult, but possible.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z9nPOXWylW4
>>
Venus would be better. It has 0.9 Earth gravity, it's warmer, and it's closer by.
>>
Even if an atmosphere could be created on mars, would radiation still be a problem due to the lack of a magnetic field?
>>
>>8005121
Terraforming is retarded, simpler to just become machines.
In fact, why the fuck would you even stay in gravity well. Find yourself a nice asteroid, remodel it in a nice solar panel, and chill out for the next millions years, masturbating your virtual robodick while browsing the extranet.

I mean, staying on those big "PLEASE STRIKE ME WITH AN RKV" targets is really dumb.
>>
>>8006167
I dare say that getting rid of thousands of tons of gas is harder than artificially thickening a planet's atmosphere. And no, I don't buy the venus balloon idea at all.

>>8006194
Given the extent to which we'd need to thicken Mars' atmosphere, no, I don't think it'd be quite the problem that some imagine it to be. Here on Earth, the atmosphere's thickness helps to shield radiation as well.

I don't have any math to back it up, but because Mars has 1/3 of Earth's mass, doesn't that mean that its atmosphere would need to be considerably thicker than Earth's to get the same levels of atmospheric pressure we see on Earth? If so, that means that it would also be much more capable of shielding radiation than our atmosphere is.
>>
>>8006635
The other problem frequently cited is atmospheric blowoff by solar wind, but that process is so slow that if we have terraforming technology, maintaining the atmosphere would be no issue. In fact, the mere presence of a large industrial population would likely offset the blowoff and then some, if you look at the volume of thickening gasses we exhaust here on earth.
>>
>>8005121
Possible, but that'd take a few 1000 years and lots of bombardment from ice comets/asteroids or whatever the source would be from.

The biggest thing is keeping the atmosphere on it. You are better off trying to convert another planet or moon that already has an atmosphere.
Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.