[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Is global warming real?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /sci/ - Science & Math

Thread replies: 44
Thread images: 4
File: 1454108341764.jpg (620 KB, 1500x1500) Image search: [Google]
1454108341764.jpg
620 KB, 1500x1500
Is global warming real?
>>
>>8004030
Obviously not. It's a Chinese conspiracy to hurt the heart of the motherland America's industry.
>>
Of course not, the world is flat and so is its temperature.
>>
energy runs the world, the fact that we're on the cusp of being able to get it for less than we have been has made a lot of people nervous

the saudis are silently finding isis as a land grab in response to this
the sooner we stop dealing with these people the better

china know exactly what they are doing
>>
>>8004030
No, now continue to consume at your usual rate.
>>
>>8004030
No, that's why they had to rename it "climate change".
>>
If it was real there would be some evidence of it.
>>
>>8004030
No. For the entire earth to be warming, a net input of energy is required, defying the second law of thermodynamics.

Checkmate, /sci/entists
>>
>>8004030
Did you know that the Fuks™ matchmaking system uses the same algorithm as christianmingle.com
>>
File: 20160414_174951.png (877 KB, 1359x888) Image search: [Google]
20160414_174951.png
877 KB, 1359x888
Most likely, the evidence is there.

Sea levels have risen in the past century, the oceans have warmed, the artic sea ice is declining, etc.
>>
Not the way that is claimed. CO2 has nothing to do with most of it and most climate models are completely wrong.
>>
File: 1452170204168.png (70 KB, 480x360) Image search: [Google]
1452170204168.png
70 KB, 480x360
>>8004689
Given the quality of this thread you're probably trolling, but in case you aren't - are you suggesting the Earth is a closed system?
>>
>>8004052
>we're on the cusp of being able to get it for less than we have been
Really? I am a denier of AGW and proponent of peak oil so naturally suspect a hydrocarbon grab by the powers that be is underway. Probably to build and install a mechanized world police state for a depopulation scenario Georgia Guidestone style. Like let's get real, approaching 8 billion breeding chimps growing hungrier for energy everyday, how can this possibly end well?
Even if AGW were true it could be nothing more than an enormous red herring in light of real problems already on the horizon, major resource wars, mass migrations, starvations...basically every problem related to overpopulation but half the world is still religious and doesn't believe in birth control so looks like End of Days for the lot of them.
>>
>>8004886
>probably to build and install a mechanized world police state for a depopulation scenario
These are the people you share your board with /sci/

Just saying
>>
>>8004905
Well /sci/ is mostly children moaning about what they are going to take, or are taking in college and university living in mothers basement. They haven't even experienced the real world first hand yet and are in for quite a shock and large dose of reality, just saying.
>>
>>8004905
No, these are the people you share your global warming threads with, aka /pol/acks. Have you ever been to /pol/? For some reason, eschatology is pretty big there, every news event is greeted by 'ITZ HAPPENING' as if the third world war broke out. Some of them genuinely think that apocalyptic wars or the 'dissolution of western society' will take place soon. These people are a riddle desu, I dont know if they are just bored out of their lives and they need to make up these scenarios, or they just say these things to feel important or special.
>>
>>8005111
Great ad-hominem.

Anyone not worshipping the sungod and not hating the devil CO2 is a stupid racist christian homophobic homosexual.

You converted me, I can see why CO2 IS the devil that will doom us all and we MUST pay more taxes and accept paedophilia to repent for our sins before it's too late.
>>
>>8004863
If it isn't a closed system, why do the spaceships leaving earth have to be closed?
>>
It is real, but severely over hyped by government
backed media
>>
>>8004030
If global warming is real then why haven't the US seen any warming in decade+?

If it's third world warming then it should be named as such and we should do everything we can to keep them toasty.
>>
>>8004886
>Probably to build and install a mechanized world police state for a depopulation scenario
As dumb as this guy is, expect some kind of climate-induced scarcity policies that exclusively target anyone with no political power like mid to low income wage laborers and the unemployed.
>>
>>8006019
Are photons leaving earth also closed?
>>
1) make poor countries to switch to renewables so they'll be more poor and so they'll have less power to purchase oil in the future
2) acquire control of the major oil fields, destroying Arab countries in the process, provoking "springs" in North Africa, funding "rebels" of any kind and so on
3) laundry 100 billions dollars of "carbon tax" per year moving them around the globe so no one will notice that you just keep the largest stake for yourself

sounds like a plan
>>
>>8006746

>>>/hr/2634268
>>
>>8004030
Yes but unless you'll live to be over 100 it won't matter much to you.

inb4 but food prices will go up
you know what will make food prices skyrocket even more? fucking industry with environmental policy.
>>
>>8006019
kue kue kue kue
>>
>>8004030
it costs 6.4 MJ to remove 1 kg of CO2 from the ocean. just using residential solar as the benchmark technology, it would require an area the size of Denver in solar panel square footage to remove an equivalent amount of CO2 that we produce globally.

that sounds like alot, but spread out over the earth, its totally doable. i know utility scale solar is alot more efficient than rooftop residential, but i didn't have those numbers when i did my calc.

line the equator with a bunch of solar plants that pull carbon out of the ocean. compress it, store it, use it to make fuel.

we literally have the ability to put all these hydrocarbons back where we found them.
>>
>College professors tell me 97% of scientists believe in climate change
>Republicans (Im murrican obviously) claim its a political ruse
>My University has a major dedicated to environmental sustainability
>i feel like I see very different statistics depending on where I look
Can someone tell me whats actually true?
So far I'm leaning towards climate change being real because while global temperatures and species extinction seems cyclical/regular, water acidity, coral reef pollution, and China's smog cities do not.
>>
>>8007499
>97%

that number is fake:

http://iceagenow.info/deep-sixing-another-useful-climate-myth/
>>
>>8004036
Hello Donald
>>
>>8004594
Good thing there is evidence: https://www.skepticalscience.com/empirical-evidence-for-global-warming.htm
>>
File: climatechangepredictions.org.png (22 KB, 619x429) Image search: [Google]
climatechangepredictions.org.png
22 KB, 619x429
what a funny website
>>
>itt: keyboard scientists act as if they know more than 97% of ACTUAL PHD SCIENTISTS

jesus it's fucking embarrassing. I feel shame just being in this thread. It's like being around that old frat guy who acts tough and thinks he can last with a professional athlete for even a minute
>>
There is a pretty good series about climate warming here

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=52KLGqDSAjo&list=PL82yk73N8eoX-Xobr_TfHsWPfAIyI7VAP

Includes peer reviewed articles for its sources in case you want to read more about it for yourself.
>>
>>8007529

your "evidence" rely on fabricated data:

http://www.cfact.org/2015/02/19/record-keepers-cooked-global-temperature-books/
>>
>>8007499
Republicans have different numbers than PhD professors at Harvard and MIT. Wow! Color me surprised! Republicans are anti-science in case you haven't heard. Unfortunately, (and I am a Democrat) the far left has a small strain in it of anti science. IE: anti nuclear energy, anti GMO, anti vaccine, wanting natural remedies instead of actual medicines used in hospitals instead.
>>
>>8007499
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x7Q8UvJ1wvk

I know it's "le blackman of science" but he is an administrator so this is something he's experienced with.
>>
>>8004030
short answer : No
long answer : too long to explain
>>
>>8007529
>lots of citations and links to papers

>>8007542
>zero citations or links to papers, literally just hearsay with a few bolded names for some reason

Hmmm
>>
>>8007564
id love to hear the long answer
>>8007556
im confused, he says republicans fund science but he's also very supportive of climate change theory. what are you saying by posting this?
>>
>>8007419
>>/hr/2634805
>>
>>8007578
Thanks anon. Maybe one day, /sci/ will gain an appreciation for the scientific method.
>>
>>8007419
>>>/hr/2634805
>>
>>8007542
>http://www.cfact.org
Seriously?
CFACT is a propaganda group that does no research, used to be funded by oil companies and are now funded by "anonymous donations".
They're probably the least objective source I've seen.
Thread replies: 44
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.