[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
>ME degree >about to graduate >three minors >no one
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /sci/ - Science & Math

Thread replies: 24
Thread images: 7
File: 1442864750002.jpg (374 KB, 1262x854) Image search: [Google]
1442864750002.jpg
374 KB, 1262x854
>ME degree
>about to graduate
>three minors
>no one cares about them

Was there even a point to getting minors? Why do they exist, /undergrad/?
>>
To specify, my minors were in chemistry, math, and physics. I've done so much chemistry I'm only actually two classes short of having a second bachelors in it.
>>
>>8001867
the point of a minor is so that you can take a few extra classes that you find interesting outside the scope of your actual program. If you did it to polish up your resume, then I'm sorry, but you wasted a lot of time. You can maybe talk about it during interviews for your very first job, but after that, literally nobody will care. It's a talking point at dinner parties.
>>
File: you only like my ass.jpg (414 KB, 1200x1727) Image search: [Google]
you only like my ass.jpg
414 KB, 1200x1727
Bumparoo
>>
File: finnish girls.jpg (324 KB, 1000x1333) Image search: [Google]
finnish girls.jpg
324 KB, 1000x1333
>>8001899
Very well, then I have a lot of talking points. Will it at least give me the options to go into a different field in grad school, considering I have already completed the bulk of the basics required for said field?
>>
>>8001899
>It's a talking point at dinner parties.

So is your undergrad degree.
>>
File: girl from omsk.png (142 KB, 607x1552) Image search: [Google]
girl from omsk.png
142 KB, 607x1552
>>8001915
Well no doubt. I didn't realize it was a scam until I was too far into it to turn back without having wasted a lot of money and time.
>>
File: supa-hot-fire.gif (1 MB, 320x240) Image search: [Google]
supa-hot-fire.gif
1 MB, 320x240
>>8001915
>>
>>8001867
College is about learning, not getting status
>>
File: 1434546093003.png (152 KB, 398x397) Image search: [Google]
1434546093003.png
152 KB, 398x397
>>8001946
>in the age of free information, you have to pay a small fortune while you are young to learn anything

Good one
>>
>>8001867
They just provide some sort of structure to pursuing an interest outside your field.

The point is to get myopic nerds with no imagination to take classes outside of their major and actually expand their minds a bit.

But yeah, you definitely shouldn't have wasted any time/money taking extra classes just to get a minor if you weren't already interested. Personally I was within 1-2 classes of like 4 different majors (business, stats, Russian, botany) but didn't bother because I took all the electives I was interested in and didn't care about the official distinction.
>>
>>8001955
Some people need a guide when they're just starting
>>
>>8001867
more money for the jews
>>
I can take linear algebra and discrete mathematics online during the summer and get a minor in mathematics. Is it worth it lads?

>>8001903
MUH DICK
>>
>>8001959
Well I was of course, and the physics helped with the chemistry quite a bit (almost a double major in that). I got that one because I got stuck at my uni for a year before I could graduate after almost completing my degree and I wanted to do something worthwhile in that time.

Clearly I shouldn't have. Oh well.
>>
>>8001955
>have to

No one implied that. College is still about learning, unless you missed the point and think you should pay that much $$$ for some social capital.
>>
>>8002011
Yes it's worth it because DM is interesting and LA is useful to most fields. (assuming you have the shekels) On top of that you get a minor. Also I envy your uni for offering those online. Had to stay here over summer to get DM.
>>
>>8001867
if your resume is a list of your degrees and minors, no one will give a fuck

make a list of skills and experiences.
>>
>>8002011
If you have the money and can pass them, yes
>>
File: Screenshot_33.jpg (52 KB, 487x648) Image search: [Google]
Screenshot_33.jpg
52 KB, 487x648
>>8001867
My minors are in CS and Physics, it's my lame attempt at making my math degree applied.
Will anyone care? Probably not....but those classes have been fun, so whatever.
>>
>>8001883

That are useless because we know you only needed a couple of classes to get it and it really isn't anything hard to do or adds value to what you would be hired for.

Recruiters all know this because we have graduated college too anon.
>>
>>8001955
I suppose you can teach yourself a lot of things, but for certain subjects the lab experience, as shitty as it might be in undegrad, can be extremely valuable.
>>
Should I bother with linguistics? If yes, where to start?
>>
>>8001867
>>three minors
why do you do this in amurrca?
Thread replies: 24
Thread images: 7

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.