[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
I've received two offers. Company A is a start up. Their
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /sci/ - Science & Math

Thread replies: 23
Thread images: 3
File: 9KYa38T.jpg (90 KB, 540x498) Image search: [Google]
9KYa38T.jpg
90 KB, 540x498
I've received two offers.

Company A is a start up. Their tools are used in academic research. 6 years old now and still making profit.
>Wants me to design their on in house microcontroller
>lots of programming and hardware
>free reign lots of room to grow, 6 years old
>I'd be the only guy with an iron ring (meaning I'm the only engineer in the company) which is a pro and con.
>pro: I figure out my shit on my own and it's real challenge
>con: Senior engineering staff is valuable for a reason

Company B, Automotive engineering firm recession proof.
>work directly with hardware
>low level programming
>get to travel to china to prototype at their plants
>surrounded by other engineers who can mentor me

Which do I choose? I honestly do not give a shit about the money. I'm a new grad with two work terms.
>>
>>8001546
Company B. More secure, you won't be the only guy doing everything, start-ups are full of neckbeards and you get to fuck gook girls in china.
>>
>>8001571
Wew
How long has it been since you started working?
>>
>>8001575
I run a startup
Startups are bad places to work trust me. I will be a lazy disorganized neckbeard, I will have no plans for the future, my projects will become increasingly zany, I will expect you to solve everything, you will run away just like my CS guy did.
>>
>>8001571
this. You don't want to be stuck in a company doing all their start-up grunt work and taking on all the risk. You'll be so overloaded it's too much of a challenge for it to be considered a pro.

I'm just curious, how is it that their tools are used in research but they don't have any actual engineers on staff? Maybe their last engineer quit because it was too tough a job to be done alone. Just a consideration.
>>
>>8001590

External consultants. They were hiring for a software developer but loved my application because of my hardware background.

>>8001586

How mature is your company?
>>
>>8001546

Startup: 50k, no benefits, 250 in stock options valued at $65 each. Did I mention they cater exclusively to dentistry?

Established: 55k, pension, benefits, gym membership, and potential for stock options pending board approval.

A lot of people are telling me a lot of different things about start ups.
>>
>>8002396
Well duh, by their nature they aren't going to be predictable like a big company. I started out at a large firm out of school and have worked for a start up for the last year. Out of all of the "field engineers" on staff, I am one of two with an actual engineering degree... The rest of of them are guys under 30 who started working the oil fields out of high school and got into a supervisory role.

It's a little frightening not having senior engineers to guide you, but it also forces you to learn above your experience level and job title. I probably learned more in a year (everything from engineering, project controls, scheduling, client schmoozing) at a startup than I did at 4 at the big EPC firm.

Trust your gut, if you have a good feeling about it, take the risk while you are young. Once you have a couple years of experience, you won't have much trouble finding a job at a larger firm if you need to.
>>
>>8001614
Not very. not even registered yet.
>>8002396
Oh right well yeah I guess you can't judge all startups by some kid's basement operation. But still that doesn't really sound like a startup to me, I thought you meant some 20k couple neckbeards thing. My guy who ran away I paid him on commission
>>
>>8001546
>>free reign lots of room to grow, 6 years old

Fuck man, none of the companies I worked at have offered me loli pussy in the list of benefits.

Company A for sure, my man.
>>
>>8001546
>Get to travel to China
Is this a pro or con?
>>
File: 1458286097053.png (946 KB, 1400x5552) Image search: [Google]
1458286097053.png
946 KB, 1400x5552
>>8002547
Major con OP do NOT GO TO CHINA
>>
>>8001546
without further information, company B.

more:
-benefits
-learning (ask them to pay for training days)
-mentoring

I did an internship a long time ago where I was the only engineer around knowing what I was doing. If you run into any trouble, you're on your fucking own.
>>
File: 1433920492268.jpg (2 KB, 125x125) Image search: [Google]
1433920492268.jpg
2 KB, 125x125
COMPANY B YOU IDIOT
>>
>>8002589
Example of why having too many skills can be a bad thing.

There is a reason you won't find a lick of web programming/ front end development on my resume.
>>
>get to travel to china to prototype at their plants
>"get to"
Sounds like a major pain in the dick.
>>
>>8001546
do company B.

only work for a start up as an engineer if they offer you a partnership (aka % of the company)
>>
>>8001546
Company A
what's your major, btw?
>>
>>8002733
I really don't see how that pic shows that. What many skills does the anon in the picture show? He was just bartering with the Chinese and they ripped him off.
>>
I've talked it out with my dad extensively. He said if he was an investor he would not put money into the start up. It's a limited market and would not survive a recession. In that nature alone it has a limited time span. As I've said, they cater to dentists, once dentists have bought all of the equipment why would they buy more?

Meanwhile company B has Chrysler and Ford as customers and thrived during the recession.

>>8002774

Computer engineering.

>>8002589

That's one bad experience. I'm not saying I'd make a hobby of it, but getting to travel for free sounds fun to me. Sure they might be dicks, but I have no problem being an asshole right back.
>>
>>8002827
Is the startup doing anything particularly new or interesting? If so, there's a good chance it could be successful or bought up by a bigger company.
>>
>>8001546
Find Company C. e.g. Skunkworks of a blue chip.
>>
>>8002833

Kind of. It's just as I said, for dentists and not all that essential.
Thread replies: 23
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.