[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Hey guys, do any of you have any tips for me what to look at
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /sci/ - Science & Math

Thread replies: 24
Thread images: 2
Hey guys, do any of you have any tips for me what to look at before going on mechanical engineering?
>>
>>8001206
Get good at inventor and classical mechanics
>>
File: 1455042905286.png (134 KB, 239x387) Image search: [Google]
1455042905286.png
134 KB, 239x387
>>8001206
Learn Python, AutoCAD, and some sort of parametric modeling program. Maybe watch a few beginner engineering courses on youtube like https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vyCIiWZ-iwc
>>
>>8001206
Choose yourself a field ( hvac, design, automobile industries)

Learn at least 1 coding language ( phyton, c, c++)

Learn Matlab

Learn 2 cad programs ( AutoCad is essential but userbase will get smaller overtime, Solidworks, Inventor, Catia V5 especially for automobile industrie)

Learn at least 1 language apart from your own.
>>
>>8001206
If you are going to start in an American university and still have a year of high school before you, take:
>AP Physics C (both)
>AP Calculus BC
>AP Chem
to be able to either skip those classes. You'll have the opportunity to take more advanced classes straight away, which'll be a big plus, or you'll be able to take lighter classes to have more time to screw qts.

If you'll start this fall and just wanna learn content earlier on for whatever reason, I'd recommend learning:
>Precalculus if you went to a shitty highschool
>Calculus I/II/III/IV (differentiation, integration, infinite series, multivariable calculus, vector calculus, calculus w/ complex variables)
>Ordinary differential equations
>Linear algebra (don't need the math autist way, the engineers' version is fine)
>Good command of classical mechanics (this is VERY important, just make sure you know AP Physics C's content by heart)
>Basic programming, preferably Matlab or Python. Knowing a more advanced language like C++ is a bonus of course
>General chem
>>
>>8001486
How can you do any of this before even starting your program? All this software costs bux you know.

OP ignore these spergs, the whole point of going to school is to learn what you didn't know therefore why bother learning it before you go? All good introductory courses assume you don't know. Just enjoy your summer.
>>
Learn yer CAD, kid. Solidworks is a great start.

If you can only learn things by memorizing, don't do it. Don't worry about memorizing anything in fact, just worry about application.

Learn matlab/octave early. Also differential calc, having that down before you start will give you a leg up.

Keep your GPA above 3.0 at all costs. Past that, no one will care. Also, this may seem dumb but focus on learning how to socialize heavily and smoothly interact with people. That will be more important than being some math pro.

And once you're out of undergrad, it will be easier and less pointless.

t. about to graduate with a BSME and almost a chemistry degree on top
>>
>>8001528
Octave is free if he wants to learn it. Once you can use it you basically don't have to do math anymore unless you want to or they explicitly require a derivation.
>>
>>8001569
>doing work on freeware
I tried OpenFOAM once. Never again.
>>
>>8001606
For what he's going to do with it it will be fine. Same syntax at matlab outside of things like ode packages and such.
>>
Make sure you're good at algebra and trig. Everything else is easy to learn on the fly

t. Aerospace senior
>>
>>8001528
Piratebay, my friend.
>>
>>8001665
Also I should add that I tutor math and at least half of the calc 2 students fail it, so make sure you don't overload the semester you take that so you have the time to study. The same goes for physics 1 and to a lesser extent 2.

All that being said the hardest parts of those classes become super easy if you're good at algebra and trig, which goes back to my first point: be good at algebra and trig, especially trig identities and vectors
>>
>>8001467
>>8001486
>>8001491

TL;DR
Be a programmer and take a few dynamics courses and has read Maya for Engineers™ beginner tutorials

Dunno if this logic can be applied to the real engineering fields :^)
>>
>>8001528
>Just enjoy your summer.

>Just slack off while everyone else builds career equity

sabotaging freshman engineers i see.
>>
>>8001834
>my career is my entire life
>>
>>8001865
>he thinks engineering isn't competitive

do w/e you want man, but know that somebody else is going to be putting in work when you are slipping, and he is going to be applying for the same internships, scholarships, and jobs that you are.

next time you get a rejection letter, mull that over.
>>
>>8001890
I'll happily take a hundred rejection letter in exchange for a life well enjoyed.
>>
what exactly is the difference between engineering and applied mechanics?
>>
>>8001935
Having a job
>>
>>8001940
i had no idea engineers had it so bad
>>
(OP)thanks a lot guys for all tips, as I live in Slovakia and most industries focus on cars, I'll focus on CAD and some math around mechanics
>>
>>8001206
>using tools that do everything for you
>engineering
>>
>>8001865
This is pretty accurate, but not in the negative sense you say it in
Thread replies: 24
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.