[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
How the hell does something like this exist in nature?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /sci/ - Science & Math

Thread replies: 131
Thread images: 13
File: image.jpg (54 KB, 660x433) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
54 KB, 660x433
>>
God is great is isn't it ?
>>
>>7998789
looks like a club sandwich lol
>>
>>7998794
Th-thanks god
>>
File: image.jpg (185 KB, 755x1057) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
185 KB, 755x1057
But then again, I gues it isn't all that weird considering nature also made this:
>>
Nanomachines, son.
>>
>>7998789
Because everything in nature tends to take the equilibrium state of lowest possible potential.
Protein folding is a process happening inside organisms where proteins take certain shapes based on the results of the optimization performed on their optimization space. The optimization dimensions (making up the optimization space) are actually the forces that are present at that microscopic level - like different forces depending on all sorts of crazy shit which I don't understand - maybe a biochemist can explain (like hydro-forces and so).
So when proteins are being formed, taking into account all the forces that are present, they tend to take up the shape which has the lowest possible potential energy - or the shape of the equilibrium - the shape where the forces are in sort of balance and that shape can actually afford to exist.
So many proteins inside your body (and keep in mind all are in microscopic level) actually have these kind of shapes - rectangular, hexagonal and many other strange shapes.
Microorganisms fall in the same problem space - them being tiny, their body needs a shape which can actually afford to exist without collapsing unto itself because of the different forces acting upon it. Those very forces are responsible why those kind of shapes are actually a logical product of nature.
See this video game for more:
https://fold.it/portal/
You can also read up on nature-inspired optimization algorithms if you want to learn more about the process, and optimization in general - very interesting set of algorithms are the genetic algorithm, particle swarm optimization, simulated annealing, ant colony optimization, and so on.
>>
>>7998789
Easy:
Nature doesn't like you.
>>
>>7998855
Neat. I learned something new today. Thanks anon
>>
>>7998789
>>
Does gravity affect them?
>>
>>7998949
Why not?
>>
>>7998808
what is it? Looks beautiful.
>>
OBJECTION! Your pic related is not in fact in nature, it is an artificial construction produced by 3D FIB:
https://books.google.com/books?id=3pc8PU5khDgC&pg=PA89&lpg=PA89&dq=bacteriophage+sem+artificial&source=bl&ots=PAUFSXf_dz&sig=gyMCdOpX9wtJ9nx4KAMhXnNRq2c&hl=en&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwjF8t-fxInMAhVB9GMKHSauCl4Q6AEITjAN#v=onepage&q=bacteriophage%20sem%20artificial&f=false

They even made a little enterprise, because they're huge nerds!
>>
It's at a scale small enough where the geometric arrangement of the molecules is large enough relative to the size of a virus that you can observe them in depictions of them. As bonds bend you are basically making the bond less thermodynamically favorable.
>>
>>7998789
Natural selection on non-living, replicable structures.
Any other questions?
>>
>>7999029
Bismuth
>>
>>7998789
can it be domesticated?
>>
>>7999033
So that's not a virus?
>>
>>7998855
This is one component, but for the overall virion structure, it follows the same principles as evolution. Mutations occur much more frequently in viruses, leading to new conformations of proteins which can be selected for and against. The optimal virions replicate more, and become the norm.

Pretty damn impressive for something that isn't even alive
>>
>>7999029
>not knowing what fucking bismuth looks like
>being this new
>>
>>7999842
it resembles a bacteriophage, a virus that infects bacteria
>>
>>7998808
Nature? You mean God.
>>
>>7998789
Evolution is pretty neat
>>
This is White castle project that got out of control. They were experimenting with a quad castle burger on a mamo scale and it became self aware. The specimen began to replicate itself and the geniuses that inadvertently spawned it could not contain it. Even of they thought to.
>>
>>8000114
I guess that's one possibility. It's not supported yet though.
>>
>>7998789
That is just some random code that for it`s luck it remakes itself.
>>
>>8000289
Luck he saysvXDDDD

posted from my iPhone
>>
>>8000132

are you a wizard
>>
File: 1459262424185.jpg (49 KB, 682x682) Image search: [Google]
1459262424185.jpg
49 KB, 682x682
>>7998789
>>7998789
i hope everyone in this threadknows that is not an actual picture of a virus. but a much larger model of a virus that was constructed out of nano materials.
>>
>>7999950
>Pretty damn impressive for something that isn't even alive
Please don't start this shit again. Biologists are not the people you need to consult on what is alive and what is not.
>>
>>8000326
Who shall we consult then?
>>
>>7998789
Is this from The Thing ?
>>
>>7999180
yes and it has been done.
>>
>>8000406
Philosophers with a background in biology
>>
>>7998789
Dreidl, dreidl, dreidl
>>
File: 1460404447268.jpg (104 KB, 736x552) Image search: [Google]
1460404447268.jpg
104 KB, 736x552
>>8000114
God? You mean Kek.
>>
>>8000002
Why do you have to be so unpleasant?
>>
>>8000663
Weakness must be crushed in youth.
>>
>>8000843
And then you have inner weakness. Great idea.
>>
>>7998794
God doesn't exist you dumb bag of shit.

Get over it, use your brain for a change.
>>
>>8000326
>>8000458
kek
>>
>>7998949
Gravity affects everything, Billy.
Now go to bed.
>>
>>7999033
>pic related is an artificial construction
No shit Sherlock, just like EVERY OTHER IMAGE IN HISTORY
>>
>>8000868
depends on how you would define "effect".

Gravity on that scale is _entirely_ insignificant, being dominated by electromagnetic forces which are many many many orders of magnitude stronger.

Yes, gravity exists and it exerts a force on a viurs, but the force is entirely neglible and can't even compete with random kinetic energy, it is literally under the background heat.
>>
>>8000850
You have no evidence to make such a baseless claim
>>
>>8000303
this
>>
>>7998789
practice
>>
>>8000883
Whats your evidence that GOD exist you dump religious faggot. Go back to some church to kiss some pope's boy rape hand faggot. "Our Savior" "God will save you" haha you dump fucking fuck get the fuck out of science topics and go pray or something.
>>
>>7998855
There's a relevant discussion in Hermann Weyl's "Symmetry" describing how forces such as gravity are partially responsible for symmetry of the human body and other organisms.
>>
>>8001024
Legitimate autism.

For serious though, how crazy that molecules would just clump together to form tiny parasitic robots. Almost as crazy as they clumping together in precisely the right way to make the hosts.
>>
>>8001024
You should calm down, and then get out more.
>>
>>8001032
It surely can't be God, It must be established by pure "nothingness" :^)))

>>8001024
Aren't you supposed to base your "facts" on evidence ? I'd like to see your """evidence""" that disproves the existence of God please.
>>
>>8001037
Humans made religions because they didnt knew how the fuck world works. They thought up in the sky there is some kind of god. All religions were made based on lack of knowledge of humans, that made them believable to the people. If you were born in christian family you would believe in Jesus and if u were a muslim in something else. So based on where u are born your religion just change because the culture of the current family taught them to believe in human made gods. If you cant realise your own if god exist or not im not gonna be bothered to give you more evidence or facts about it. Not everyone was made to think outside the box
>>
>>8001046
You're talking about christianity and islam, I'm talking about God, the creator of everything, the Alpha and the Omega. The fundamental problem with your worldview is that you don't and can't explain the beginning of everything. You can't make up for the unbelieveable detail and sophistication of the way universe works, from the antenna of an ant to the physics behind black holes. You just say nothing exploded and these all came just like that. You have a strongly built angsty childish hatred against God and your only escapist argument is to suggest "nothing" is the reason and cause of all this, which clearly makes no sense. And you can't even back it up with anything sensible let alone any evidence, which clearly shows the many levels of your deep delusion.
>>
>>8001046
Oh boy I remember high school. difference between God and religion.
>>
>>8001046
>God is only written religion
>What is Deism (though I dislike the label)
>>
>>8001052
Not knowing the answers isn't a flaw
>>
>>8001058
It is an obligation to have a reason to believe there is no God. Which is what lacks from all the atheistic faith.
>>
>>8001052
You just GUESS that because everything happened there must be a god. Where the fuck is one proof you have about the existence of any god? I might as well say god definitely has human form and all the garbage religions vomit out there to make u believe into one figure that is god. You dont fucking know how everything happened so you might as well shut your mouth about ur mind made god that must exist because you think so and guess about it
>>
>>8001024
go upstairs and kill everyone in the house
>>
>>8001061
Why is atheism so filled with anger and hatred ? Does the fact that knowing you have no evidence challenging your atheistical faith, which is what gets you so stressed up ?
>>
>>8001066
>atheism is a faith
>>
>>8001061
You should note that that goes both ways.

Your animosity towards spirituality, and even to something as reasonable as deism, does not reflect well on you.
>>
File: golden ratio.jpg (64 KB, 687x627) Image search: [Google]
golden ratio.jpg
64 KB, 687x627
>>7998794
>>8000850
>>8000883
>>8001024
>>8001046
>>
>>8001066
Atheism isn't full of hate and anger. Every once and a while you will just find autistic atheists.
>>
>>8001067
Atheism is to make a claim, with CERTAINTY, that no higher power, or God, exists.

That is unknowable, by current means at least, and is thus a matter of faith or ungrounded belief.
>>
>>8001060
You'll have to excuse me, sorry for this, but can you rephrase that? I honestly didn't understand what you said.
>>
File: 1458746167875.jpg (97 KB, 579x820) Image search: [Google]
1458746167875.jpg
97 KB, 579x820
>>8001069
>>
>>8001067
Faith is the certain belief for something without evidence. Without disproving the existence of God with evidence and strongly believing in it's inexistence is pure faith. And the church of atheism is what its all about.
>>
>>8001073
No, atheism is just a lack of belief, it makes no claims.

The other guy in this thread who said there is no God would be a gnostic atheist, which is faith based, because as you said, you can't know for sure.

Just pointing that out.
>>
>>8001076
see : >>8001078
and peace be with you
>>
>>8001079
Conventionally, non-adherence without denial is unqualified agnosticism.

Atheism is strict denial. Obviously the terminology is not iron, but that is the idea.
>>
>>8001080
You can't disprove him, that is correct. You also can't prove him either, which is why I'm an agnostic atheist.

This is just my point of view though.

May peace be with you as well.
>>
File: Intelligent Design VS Chaos.png (779 KB, 1920x2160) Image search: [Google]
Intelligent Design VS Chaos.png
779 KB, 1920x2160
>>8001081
Exactly. Atheism is a belief in itself, based on angsty rebellion and hatred. What's even more sad is their denial in their faith, which ironically pretty much shows their undying hatred towards faith itself and people who have faith.
>>
>>7998808
Or these:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=weeFO6kLu5o
>>
>>8001093
Atheism isn't a belief. I explained this earlier in the thread. And it's not based on anger or anything of the sorts. I don't have any idea where you are getting that from. Please, please don't tell me that you said that based off the fact that some atheists are fucking retards.

I have a denial in faith, because I don't want to have faith. I follow where the evidence leads, I don't just "believe something ".

I don't like faith for that reason. And no, I don't have hatred towards people of faith. And most atheists don't either.
>>
>>8001093
Atheism is, irregardless of your opinion, defined as a lack of belief. Many, perhaps even most, atheists do take it a step further, though.
>>
>>8001098
God is truly great
>>
This thread has made me religious. Atheists are absolutely terrible. I would happily live in the dark instead of living in a corrupt atheistic world
>>
>>8001099
>>8001109
Atheism is a belief. It is the belief that God certainly does NOT exist. Believing this without any evidence is much as faith as believing in God without evidence. Even your memelord Dawkins can't admit that he's an atheist and calls himself agnostic.

Atheists are believers in denial. Only an atheist can be so blind to the truth.
>>
>>8001115
>allowing other people to define your religious beliefs
>being this much of a low life scum
Reconsider your stance, friend.
>>
>>8001117
No.
Atheist is defined as a lack of faith.
This is a very generous definition, and many different perspectives are included in its grasp.

A lot of which compatible with your critisism. But at the basic level, atheism is not a belief.
>>
>>8001060
pure atheists just lack love lol. human love.

I used to be one ages ago.
>>
>>8001099
Watch the 'Cereal defence' episode of always sunny and then tell me mac doesn't make a good point about atheism being a faith. If you refused to have faith you woud be an agnostic, that's not having faith either way.

You may say 'I don't believe in god so I don't have faith' but you have absolute faith in the absence of god
>>
>>8001137
believing in something wthiout evidence is faith AKA atheism
>>
FFS stop arguing over terms. If you actively believe there is no god, state that, if you simply lack belief that there is a god state that. Stop bitching at each other over who is using arbitrary labels properly
>>
>>7998789
this is a seriously mindblowing video if you like this kind of thing
(sorry about the ted)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WFCvkkDSfIU
>>
>>8001142
You're misunderstanding. Atheism is not a belief because it makes no statements. Atheists simply do not have faith in gods, they don't have faith that no gods exist. Also if you're the same guy as earlier, claiming an entire belief is based off hatred trivializes it, and creates a false sense of immaturity.
>>
>>8001142
But being an atheist does not mean that you believe in something without evidence. It is a sign of uncertainty or lack of care.
Yes, many atheists are also hardcore nondeistic, but the existence of these people does not mean that your statement covers atheism as a whole.
>>
File: images(2).jpg (11 KB, 198x255) Image search: [Google]
images(2).jpg
11 KB, 198x255
>>8001024
>>
>>8001155
> Atheism is not a belief because it makes no statements.
It does. It says God does not exist for certain 100% guaranteed.
>>
>>8001060
No, there just needs to be reasonable doubt of the evidence for the positive claim
>>
>>8000458
So, Biology dropouts?
>>
>>8001159
Careful not to fall for it
>>
>>7998789
You'll appreciate this.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FzcTgrxMzZk
>>
>>8001727
It's the difference between weak atheism and strong atheism. One asserts "[math] \lnot \square \exists [/math](God)", while the other asserts "[math] \square \lnot \exists [/math] (God) ", where [math]\square[/math] modally represents belief.

The latter is a belief. Many atheists are of this type.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Negative_and_positive_atheism
>>
>>8001745
>>8001748
>>8001752
No, it's the difference between agnostic and gnostic atheism. And, the majority of atheists are agnostic atheists because that's a logically tenable viewpoint.
>>
>>7998789
this is why i study biology. Some animals have extremely weird morphology and are a pleasure to look at alone.
>>
>>8001764
>quoting all my posts
Thanks for making clear my idiocy.
>>
I blame the patriarchy
>>
File: capture6.png (224 KB, 468x365) Image search: [Google]
capture6.png
224 KB, 468x365
>>8001024
I can't handle this much Reddit in one post. Congratulations on being fooled by an obviously troll post though.
>>
atheists complain about the concept of god being illogical not provable.They believe way more obscure ideas though. if you ask them about free will, most of them will admit , they believe in it. Free will is a concept, that is extremely unlikely to be true and is HIGHLY unscientific.
>>
>>8000872
No they like actually made a tiny statue in the shapenof bacteriophage T4, which is pretty cool actually
>>
>>8001024
The concept of a god, at least is more realistic than the concept of free will.
Most atheist believe the latter though. The concept of free will is way more unlikely and unscientific than the concept of a god.
It would mean that your brain somehow isnt deterministic and your "soul" breaks the laws of physics. This is waaaaay more illogical than believing on some kind of entity, which created the universe.
=> atheists are hypocrites
>>
>>8001863
>>8001877
Whoops sry my phone bugged a little
>>
>>8001877
1. Most atheists believe in free will (unproven and vague)
2. Free will is more unlikely than god (unproven and vague)
3. Therefore atheists are hypocrites
????
Therefore we should believe God exists
>>
>>7998855
>TL;DR after the first line
We live in a lazy universe where everything would prefer to take the path of least resistance.
>>
>>8001139
Are you serious?
>>
File: 44chan.jpg (126 KB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
44chan.jpg
126 KB, 1920x1080
>>8001024
>you dump fucking truck
>>
File: feels.jpg (333 KB, 700x827) Image search: [Google]
feels.jpg
333 KB, 700x827
>>8000843
>>
>>8001863
Free will is a religious concept though
>>
>>8001115
>I make my opinions by extrapolating from a very small selection of a group that holds a position to all of them, and then judging the entire set of all people who hold that position based upon my ridiculous generalization. As opposed to, you know, actually considering the actual legitimacy of the ideas themselves and the reasoning for them. Because I am a flaming moron. LEL fedora tipper euphoric lawl memes.
>>
>>8001863
>>8001877
Free will is a grammar error, a misunderstanding of counterfactual conditionals. Consider the question: could you have chosen otherwise than to read this message? Factually you couldn't have, because you did read the message. However you can imagine an alternate past where you did not read this message, thus making it seem like you could have, because you are choosing again in this mental re-enactment an alternate outcome.

The purpose of counterfactual thinking is to predict outcomes in similar situations that one has already experienced. It is entirely a causal process. The confusion of free will comes when one doesn't see that this is a mental short-cut, and doesn't rectify the counterfactual into a prescription. Example: "I tripped over a rock and it hurt. I really wish I was watching where I was going." The direction of causation is backwards and completely wrong. This can can be rectified as "I wasn't watching where I was going, therefore I tripped over a rock. It hurt and I desire to avoid this in the future, so I will watch where I am going more carefully to try to avoid tripping over rocks." Note how the temporal direction of these statements is entirely forwards, from past to future. There is no room for regret, only a causal change in behavior.

The ugly part is that free will is an invaluable tool to control other people's minds, the twisted irony is that it destroys freedom. By getting someone into the habit of unrectified counter-factual thinking, you encourage toxic regret as they try to do the impossible and desire to change the past, because they have been taught to think that way. Then you can claim dominance over them, that they owe a debt for a task they cannot possibly fulfill, and must do your bidding. Or you can sell them a cure for their regret, such as forgiveness by a God.
>>
>>7998855
NOT MADE BY NATURE! Just because something exists in nature doesn't mean it was invented or made by Nature. If all the chemicals necessary to make a cell were left to themselves, "Mother Nature" would have no ability to organize them into a cell. It requires an already existing cell to bring about another cell. The cell exists and reproduces in nature but Nature didn't invent or design it! Nature didn't originate the cell or any form of life. An intelligent power outside of nature had to be responsible.

Natural laws can explain how an airplane or living cell works, but it's irrational to believe that mere undirected natural laws can bring about the origin of an airplane or a cell. Once you have a complete and living cell then the genetic program and biological machinery exist to direct the formation of more cells, but how could the cell have originated naturally when no directing code and mechanisms existed in nature? All of the founders of modern science believed in God. Read my Internet article: HOW FORENSIC SCIENCE REFUTES ATHEISM
>>
>>8002604
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Abiogenesis
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Protocell
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/RNA_world
>>
>>8002604
We came up with an entire convoluted theory to explain in reasonable detail how nature actually does make things like this. Its even supported by ,like, all the evidence
>>
File: mcp.webm (2 MB, 638x468) Image search: [Google]
mcp.webm
2 MB, 638x468
>>8001151
>>
>>8000883
Path of least resistance.
>>
>>8002611
>We came up with an entire convoluted theory
What do you mean by "we", Peasant?
>>
>>8003207
The human race
>>
>>8000850
Can you prove God does not exist? ...
I'm waiting!
Neither can be proven (for/against God)
>>
>>8003380
well "nothingness" is not an answer. it doesn't explain anything, it doesn't justify this level of sophistication, ironically "nothingness" basically explains nothing. It's simply based on an angsty hatred against God in a form of rebelling and trying to be unique.

Thats why the answer God doesn't really have a competition as an alternative answer for how everything came into life. Which is why a very major percentage of the world can see reason and believe in God.
>>
>>8003328
>all the same race
as if
>>
These "gods" have no tangible impact on my life and the world around me. Why should I bother formulating an opinion on them?

Apatheism: "An apatheist is someone who is not interested in accepting or denying any claims that gods exist or do not exist. An apatheist lives as if there are no gods and explains natural phenomena without reference to any deities. The existence of gods is not rejected, but may be designated unnecessary or useless; gods neither provide purpose to life, nor influence everyday life, according to this view."

Apatheism > Atheism.
>>
>>8003504
> i dnt even give a shit lmao look guise im s0 kool i dnt even care xDD

dropped your fedora there
>>
>>8003508
maybe this person values different things than you do?

maybe their life is different from yours and they see no need to think about such things?

my gods are my children personally. gotta do right by them.

im in for "the long road" because of this. duh kidddddddds do it all fore duh kidszz.
>>
>>8002587
Underrated post
>>
>>8001109
>irregardless

Dumb American detected.
>>
>>8001117
So we need a name for every thing you don't believe in? We should have Aghostists? Because it's a belief system to be confident ghosts don't exist? Atheism being a belief is like not skydiving being a hobby, in which case it would be my favourite hobby because I've never been skydiving.
>>
>>8001024
>Found the 13 year old who just watched a documentary on quantum mechanics.
>>
>>7998794
>Guaranteed_replies.png
Come the fuck on, /sci/. You're so trollable it hurts.
Thread replies: 131
Thread images: 13

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.