[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Vectors
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /sci/ - Science & Math

Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 1
File: image.jpg (319 KB, 1689x1113) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
319 KB, 1689x1113
How long is the vector (picture related)? How do I find out? I think it is 2,45 but I don't know how to calculate this. I made it over set of Pytagoras and a drawing.
>>
>>7998485
the length of (1, -1, 0) is sqrt(2)
the length of (0, sqrt(2), 2) is sqrt(5)

so it's sqrt5
>>
unless you're starting at (0,0,0), then all that shit gives you is a direction.

If it's the former, use your trig.
>>
>>7998485
sqrt(6)

http://mathworld.wolfram.com/VectorMagnitude.html
>>
>>7998485
Take it's norm (square all components, add them up and then find the square root of that).
So that's the square root of 6.
>>
>>7998491
you don't even need trig, just pythagorean theorem in 3 dimensions

|d| = sqrt(1^2 + (-1)^2 + 2^2) = sqrt(1 + 1 + 4) = sqrt(6)
>>
>>7998485
a length of a vector is the square root of the sum of the squares of all of the vector's thingies.
>>
[math]\sqrt{6}[/math] assuming an orthonormal base.
>>
>>7998485
4 by the taxicab theorem
>>
you will need at least three set of Pytagoras to make such a calculation

2,45 is only the beginning, my friend

keep making more drawings
>>
>>7998485
take the square of its lengt:
[math]d\times d=(1+ -1+ 2)^2
\\
=(1-1+2-1+1-2+2-2+4)\\
=(4)[/math]
Then you need to divide by the operator norm:
[math]Tr(d)=(1+-1+2)=2\\
length(d)=\frac{4}{2}=2[/math]
Bob's your unle
>>
>>7998490
What are you even doing? Can't see how you came to those leaps.

>>7998485
Its the magnitude, given by 3d Pythagorean: the length is the square root of the sum of the squares of the vector components

Hence:
|d| = √(1 + 1 + 4) ≈ 2.45
Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.