[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
>tfw you think you've proven a problem that's been
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /sci/ - Science & Math

Thread replies: 24
Thread images: 1
File: 1460051936769.jpg (24 KB, 236x330) Image search: [Google]
1460051936769.jpg
24 KB, 236x330
>tfw you think you've proven a problem that's been open for over 2 decades

How do I check myself to be sure I haven't done nothing wrong so that I don't make myself look like a dumbass when I try to show this to some math person?
>>
>>7998407

whats the problem
>>
>>7998407
Ask your friends, if they agree with you then ask your advisor. Then publish a paper to arXiv and start giving talks about your discovery.
>>
>>7998407
Protip: you haven't
>>
post it here so we can check it for you buddy
>>
>>7998407
Take it to a professor at the local university who has knowledge of the field

if you aren't confident enough to do that, even you yourself know that you're full of shit
>>
>>7998407
Create an anonymous account on mathoverflow and ask the mathematicians there. They'd probably have the integrity to donut steel.
>>
>>7998437
This
>>
>>7999134
This is a good way to either get scooped or be forced to add the prof. as a co-author.

OP might be a guerillaposting fuckwith, but he isn't that stupid.
>>
>>7999275
You add a prof as your co-author for yourself as well.
If he's big in the field, people are more likely to read your paper.
So what if he gets the credit. A lot of people in the academia know big names are full of shit, it's their students that matter. it only matters for funding, and OP isn't being hurt as a result.
Same shit was going on during renaissance a lot of the time, where apprentices did most of the work, but you don't know any of their names. Then again, the work apprentices did, was literally coloring in between the lines, which is what most of post-docs who get scooped do.
>>
>>7999304
>OP isn't being hurt as a result.
He is, massively, a single authorship is infinitely more valuable than a co-authorship to your career, especially as a young researcher.
>>
>>7998407

If you think that that's probaby the case. If you actually solved whatever problem there would be no way to challenge it.
>>
>>7999311
That's not how things work in math. The fact is every young math researcher has someone check over his results before submitting for publication. OP won't even know where to submit.
>>
>>7999396
Having a professor's on your paper mean "oh this kid coloured in the lines nicely, I'll contact the professor about his brilliant idea", submitting your own paper shows intellectual maturity.
>>
>>7998407
>to some math person
huge red flag. you have been working by yourself, isolated, you aren't a "math person" and you think you've solved an important problem? you haven't bud
>>
>>7998407
at least tell us the problem
>>
>>7998437
>how to get your ideas stolen 101
>>
>>7999436
This is why nobody takes crackpots seriously. They have this idea that academics are all bloodthirsty animals sitting around with nothing better to do than scope out undetected geniuses and steal the fruits of their incredible brilliance.
>>
>>7999436
>how to know someone has never been near academia
>>
>>7999449
But it's true. That woman who discovered the pulsar or quasar or whatever got cucked out of a Nobel Prize by here superiors. Many cases where a junior did the grunt work but went unrecognized. It's a sad paradox rthat is the reason why things such as Starlite never saw the light of day. Either reveal your secrets and get scooped or stay secretive and get dismissed as a crackpot.
>>
>>7999455
>hi my name is Laurent Schwartz, I will see you in a moment

he basically stole people's ideas when they came seeking advice.
>>
>>7999536
One jackass certainly proves the rule. All men are rapists, all women are whores, etc.
>>
>>7998414
I don't wanna tell, but it's just proving a property about this integer sequence some guy came up with, nothing too important, but still a problem that had a little bit published about it, but no one could solve.
>>
Just checking something.
>>8000000
Please ignore.
Thread replies: 24
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.