[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Am I going insane?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /sci/ - Science & Math

Thread replies: 75
Thread images: 6
File: q.jpg (19 KB, 360x581) Image search: [Google]
q.jpg
19 KB, 360x581
Am I the only one who sub-vocalizes my thought and even talk to myself in my brain?Am I developing schizophrenia?
>>
>>7996565
thinking you're developing schizophrenia will increase the likelihood of developing schizophrenia.

other than not, no, what you do is fairly normal.

other
>>
>>7996577
>thinking you're developing schizophrenia will increase the likelihood of developing schizophrenia.

U wot m8
>>
>>7996584
thinking you're schizophrenic is a sign of paranoia
which is a sign of schizophrenia

just calm down. if you can't, you were already insane anyway
>>
File: bear.jpg (174 KB, 710x408) Image search: [Google]
bear.jpg
174 KB, 710x408
you are not alone. occasionally I want to kill the one in my head :^)
>>
>>7996565
I have the same issue maybe. I hear thoughts in my head directed to myself in the second person, like "Brush your teeth" or "Study set theory in your room today."
>>
>>7996565
lel u got such a low bar for assuming a mental illness. I always work alone and always talk to myself from inside when doing a task.

This is usually the result of going through a lonely childhood which turned talking to oneself into a habit. It's not even related to schizophrenia
>>
>>7996588

Paranoia is an entirely normal thing to feel and does not mean you're developing schizophrenia, you tard. If it is irrational Paranoia, then it could be a number of other illnesses. Not necessarily schizophrenia.
>>
>>7996603
the chance that you're developing schizophrenia given that you're paranoid is higher than the flat chance you're developing schizophrenia

you tard
>>
>>7996594

There is no issue. That's normal. You are organising your thoughts and planning your actions in a rational manner.
>>
>>7996605

>citation needed
>>
I create entire dialogues in my brain between me and me. Talking to yourself is babby tier.
>>
>>7996594
I'm pretty sure some psychiatrists would classify that as hallucination but it seems harmless. Lots of people have those.
>>
>>7996609
the probability of being paranoid given that you're schizophrenic is higher than the flat probability you're paranoid (this is a well known fact, it's a related symptom)

then apply bayes' theorem
>>
>>7996565

Doesn't everybody do that?
>>
Take less adderall desu familio
>>
>>7996613

How the fuck is telling yourself "okay, it's time to brush my teeth" a hallucination.
>>
>>7996614

Begging the question fallacy.
>>
>>7996619
I don't know.I dont remember talking to myself few years ago.The thoughts were just coming.
>>7996620
I don't do any drugs.
>>
I don't talk to myself but I tend to mumble my thoughts a lot more these days
>>
>>7996632

And what did your thoughts "sound" like back then?
>>
>>7996645
Like I said the thoughts were just coming to me.I was just observing them.
>>
>>7996651

Nobody has complete control over their thoughts. Random thoughts happen to everyone.
>>
>>7996588
Thinking you are schizophrenic is a sign of hypochondria.
>>
File: 1460097220922.jpg (152 KB, 640x720) Image search: [Google]
1460097220922.jpg
152 KB, 640x720
Don't worry OP, there's at least one more person in the planet that does that.
>>
>>7996565
You can talk to yourself
You can even argue with yourself
But when you start losing those arguments it's time to get help
>>
>>7996565
When you have a dialogue with yourself and Devil joins in it's time to worry. An internal monologue and self-adressing is something everyone have and do.
>>
>>7996629
There's a difference between telling yourself and hearing it out of nowhere.
>>
>>7996565
Nah bruh. I'll hold conversations with people in my head, only I'll actually speak words and turn my head as if they were there

>im so lonely
>>
>>7996565
Everyone subvocalises.
Deaf people sub-sign-language.
>>
>>7996565
I've been doing that since childhood. 18 now and still do it sometimes.
>>
Should i worry if i've started noticing mild hallucinations in the far sides of my vision? Should i worry if i have started believing in things such as being watched by multidimensional beings?
>>
>>7997032
>Should i worry if i have started believing in things such as being watched by multidimensional beings?

Nah, we've been watching all the time so there's no reason to start worrying about it now.

Unless they're like dark shadows, the Ghruuls don't like being seen.
>>
File: 1458671815146-pol.jpg (15 KB, 211x238) Image search: [Google]
1458671815146-pol.jpg
15 KB, 211x238
>>7997067
Dont listen to this anon, he doesnt know what he's talking about
>>
>>7997125
> Gruul detected
>>
>>7997032
Yes.

It amazes me how almost no one in this thread knows anything about mental illness.
You might be experiencing the prodrome of schizophrenia, and the signs and symptoms you describe seem to indicate it strongly. Better get to a psychiatrist and start medication if needed, or it might be too late. You can improve the outcome enormously if you start the treatment early on.

"The prodromal phase of schizophrenia is the beginning phase. Think of it like spring: the symptoms are starting to show, but they are still 'baby' symptoms and aren't full-blown yet. Most of the symptoms that show up in the prodromal phase are the non-psychotic symptoms."
>>
>>7997223
Damn nigga you got me scared.
Maybe i'll do that.
>>
>>7996631
can you read? I'm using (P|Q) > P and bayes' theorem to prove (Q|P).
>>
>>7997233
Also, do schizo meds make you a passive zombie?
>>
>>7997240
*to prove (Q|P) > Q. i'm not assuming the conclusion at any point.
>>
>>7997032
Listen to >>7997223.
>>
>>7997233
Psychiatric disorders aren't just some invisible mental component.

Schizophrenia can literally damage your brain. And structural differences can be detected in several other disorders too. The same applies for the other way around that structural changes can cause these disorders.

You really should go talk to a doctor or psychiatrist about this asap, waiting will only make everything worse.

>>7997245
Depends on med and dose, new atypical antipsychotics do not have particularly much zombifying effect.
>>
If you're practising the same thing, say for example: an equation, over and over again expecting a different result from what you're going to find - you're insane OP. Schizophrenia is something you may need to look into. You're probably just fine anyway. I sub-vocalise a lot of the time, and I haven't developed anything as a result of that - it's just another occupying thought process - not something that would nessisarily link to a condition like that so immediately.
>>
File: Thorazine_advert.jpg (144 KB, 927x1433) Image search: [Google]
Thorazine_advert.jpg
144 KB, 927x1433
>>7997253
You know what can literally damage your brain? Schizophrenia medication.

Take a look at these studies on the effect of Haloperidol, a 1st-generation typical antipsychotic medicine, the kind first recommended for treatment of Schizophrenia.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/4479505

Neurotoxic!!!

The damage caused by these medicines is PERMANENT!!! It also happens at ORDINARY DOSES!! These medicines lock your brain into a retarded zombified state, by controlling strongly the dopamine receptor, especially the D2 receptor which has nothing to do with schizophrenia btw, they just want the patient to be easier to manage and sedated. Take a look at this advertisement attached to my post.
>>
>>7997373
Modern antipsychotics are different.

Also, what you are saying is very dangerous. Even if the medications have some deleterious effects, in many cases it is far better than living with schizophrenia. It is morally wrong to encourage a schizophrenic to go off their meds.
>>
>>7996565
No, that's your inner narrative. Everyone does it
>>
>>7997373
This. And, before someone jumps in with muh newer atypical antipsychotics, they are just as bad. I've taken plenty of both.
>>
>>7997373
http://www.springerlink.com/index/10.1007/978-94-007-0834-1_6
http://www.ninds.nih.gov/disorders/tardive/tardive.htm
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tardive_dyskinesia (general)

Your brain, struggling and starved of dopamine, starts to try to compensate for it by growing additional dopamine receptors in places where they never belonged, such as the Nigrostriatal pathway. This causes them to respond errantly and produce the tics and spasms associated with these motion disorders. The total brain volume is also reduced over time (PROVEN):
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3476840/
>>
>>7997385
It is also morally wrong to give antipsychotics to someone who does not have schizophrenia.

t. A schizophrenic
>>
>>7997223

The phase you're referring can be attributed to other disorders, like depression, as there is much overlap.

The OP sounds like a neurotic hypochondriac that has been reading too much shit about mental illnesses online.
>>
>>7997413
>The OP sounds like a neurotic hypochondriac that has been reading too much shit about mental illnesses online.

Just to add to this. I have OCD and I was obsessed and constantly worried about developing schizophrenia and other illnesses because I spent a bunch of time reading about them and then began to analyse my behaviour.
>>
File: jew_basic.jpg (38 KB, 600x600) Image search: [Google]
jew_basic.jpg
38 KB, 600x600
>>7997413
/sci/ is apparently the WebMD of 4chan.

>"S-sometimes i have thoughts, desu"
>"You're gonna need medication for that"
>>
>>7997405
Then we agree. OP should consult a psychiatrist and if he is indeed in the early stages of schizophrenia, it is morally right to encourage him to go on meds. But only a psychiatrist can determine that.
>>
>>7997426
/Sci/ is full of medical students who don't get out a lot and haven't gotten to try diagnosing an actual patient and therefore jump at the possibility to do so even on an anonymous forum.

I was one of them once, it happens.
>>
>>7997428
Agreed. But based on what I have heard from OP, I'm betting on a hypochondria diagnosis.
>>
Talking to yourself... But in your head..

I guess 99% of the world is schizophrenic
>>
>>7996565
if only everybody did that it would make life a lot easier for me professionally
>>
I was thinking.. when you say something completely random out loud, what's wrong with you? It might be a casual word, or a phrase you heard some time ago.
>>
>>7997445
autism
>>
>>7997445
ADD. Its impulse-control, you have an impulse to say something stupid or that you think sounds funny or cute, and you can't control it and blurt it out.

If you stop doing this on stimulants, its definitely ADD. That doesn't mean you should take them to find out, its just interesting to note and maybe you have in the past and can remember. Strong stimulants like nicotine or amphetamines, not caffeine.
>>
>>7997460
I see, thanks. I'll take a closer look into it. Usually I wouldn't care about it, but lately it got worse. I'm already quite fucked up with anxiety, and if I remember correctly they are related too.
>>
>>7997500
Anxiety can cause lack of focus yes, but it may also be inherent. ADD can cause anxiety because you become anxious at your own failure to control yourself as an adult. It can be very embarrassing and thus cause anxiety. And therefore be treated by treating the ADD.

Mental health is real fucking interesting yo
>>
>>7996588
>unironically being this retarded
That's not paranoia m8
>>
>>7996668
This
>>
>>7996565
that's called thinking, OP
>>
>>7997397
>>7997373
Dude WTF this isn't funny, are you some kind of psychiatric vigilante? Imagine if a real Schizophrenic patient read these, and stopped taking their medicines (WHICH THEY NEED) and became psychotic? They could kill loved ones or even themselves or go on a delusion-fueled rampage.

You need to be careful what kind of information you give people with mental disorders. This is highly unethical especially with the ridiculous sensationalist style you used with the all caps and shit. As if we are poisoning them.
>>
>>7997744
survival of the fittest
>>
>>7996565
I had a very isolated childhood from abuse and tend to be on the quiet side since I always internalize all my thoughts and have anxiety from metacognition. It makes me feel like there's something wrong with me and that in-turn makes me more anxious. It's pretty shitty since I don't like big pharma and dont want any medication side effects.
>>
>>7999479
Dude, just go see a qualified psychiatrist. My advice is to look for a doc that has been practicing for a decade or more. Experience seems to be very important with psychiatry.
>>
>>7997067
delete this
>>
>>7996565
No, it's a form of thinking anon. It's what I use when developing my theorys in my head or using my imagination to create a fantasized scenario.
>>
Guys, my mind is being torn apart right now. I'm hearing that this is and isn't normal all over the place. Just conjured up some knowledge and notes from back when I majored in psychology, and now I'm fucking losing it. Do we seriously have a mental disorder /sci/?! Every smart person I know does what I do, and every average to idiot person (that is if there's a difference) I know doesn't. What the hell is going on?
Do we all have a minor form of retardation going on here?
>>
>>7997445
there is nothing wrong with you. you make a decision, like almost everyone else.

or you are really fuckin tired and sleep talking.
>>
>>7996565
Hello OP I am your brain,telling you to do you know what right now.
>>
>>7997445
>>7997460
Now I can see why autists make stupid sounds.
Thread replies: 75
Thread images: 6

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.