[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Engineering
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /sci/ - Science & Math

Thread replies: 131
Thread images: 7
File: IMG-20160327-WA0034.jpg (177 KB, 1280x720) Image search: [Google]
IMG-20160327-WA0034.jpg
177 KB, 1280x720
Hi /sci/

which engineering do you study and why?
>>
File: el-chiste-del-bebe.jpg (20 KB, 720x540) Image search: [Google]
el-chiste-del-bebe.jpg
20 KB, 720x540
chem eng(germany), finishing master this summer

its nice to read about astrophysics or things like LHC, but i wanted to know about my direct enviroment i guess.
>>
>>7995412
Mechanical
My parents told me to.
>>
>>7995412
mechanical
my parents told me to

they want me to work for nasa
>>
Eletronics and computer eng.

Because it's cool as fuck m8
>>
electronic
>>
>>7995428

Christian Schiwek?
>>
chemical

i love to read about pipes and pipe optimization. my dream is to one day become a master pipesmith.
>>
Chem E, just landed a research grant this summer. Will be working with a professor on carbon capture.

>feelsgoodman.jpg
>>
>>7995492
nope

>>7995497
im not sure but if this is adressed to me but piping is just a thin slice of the cake.

i prefer thermodynamics and fluid dynamics the most
>>
File: LockheedFusion.jpg (47 KB, 400x200) Image search: [Google]
LockheedFusion.jpg
47 KB, 400x200
Nuclear engineering because it's badass.

Just accepted the coolest fucking job too, pic related
>>
>>7995412
Electrical and computer. Always been interested by electronics.
>>
Electrical with a focus on semiconductors. I kind of fell into it and enjoyed it, so here I am.
>>
>>7995412
MechE @ Berkeley
PLANES N SHIT LMAO
>>
>>7995551
Going for nuclear too. I'm worried about the job outlook though. What level of education did you get?
>>
>>7995880
Graduating with a bachelors in May
>>
>>7995885
And you accepted a job? What is it doing? Do you have experience? If you don't mind me asking, what is your GPA? In addition, how many people did you have in your graduating class and how did this job opportunity present itself? I appologize if I'm being intrusive, but due to a statistic published by the Bureau of Labor Statistics, the outlook is very poor and so far none of my professors or advisers have had anything helpful to say one way or the other.
>>
>>7995412
Mechanical. All other kinds are too low information density for me to consider it a formal practice.
>>
>>7995895
Don't know job specifics yet, waiting for them to finish my background check and to grant me clearance. My GPA isn't great, but I've got graduate coursework in fusion and all As in every grad course I've taken, and impressed enough in my interview to get offered the job. My graduating class is 18.
>>
>>7995905
Did you do any internships before the position? If so, at which companies? Thanks a bunch anon.
>>
software for the money
>>
I want to work with low level software optimization, like programming specifically to the hardware as efficiently as possible. I find that sort of thing really satisfying to do. My plan was to apply to computer engineering in my second year and go from there, there was a course I saw for year 4 students that was an optimization specialization.

Anyways I'm applying right now and wanted some feedback on my choice. I also have the options to apply to software engineering but my understanding is that it's not really a route to what I want to do.
>>
Materials.

hydrogels r cool
>>
Engineering physics, because physics of matter is cool af
>>
and by doing master you can apply on lasers, plasmas, thin films, low dimensional materials, nanostructured semiconductors, superconductors ecc
>>
>>7995412
Sorry, I'm not gay.
>>
>>7995412
Civil because it is the easiest and I hate my reject UC school.
>>
>>7995412
Environmental...
>>
Aerospace

Its the shit man

>>7996512
You say that like its a bad thing, why? Environmental is important yo

>>7996094
This made me think, all the girls in my department seem like terrible bitches except for a handful. Anyone else have experience with this?
>>
>>7996536
You mean "It's shit"
>>
engineering physics
>>
>>7995686
>MechE @ Berkeley
yes
be my gf
>>
Mechanical
I enjoy fucking around with robots and shit
>>
>>7996536
Aero fucking sucks.

After 3 years in the Aero industry, I bailed
>>
>>7996536
Positives and negatives of aerospace?
>>
>>7997934
>>7996547
Whats wrong with aero
>>
>>7995412
aerospace
>>
>>7995433
>>7995438
>>7995686
>>7995900
>>7996536
>>7997762
>>7997922
>>7997934
>>7998086
>>7998087
>>7998986
I'm planning on doing mechanical/aerospace. What are the positives and negatives? I might go into robotics instead.
>>
>>7999101
its interesting, not as hardcore on the physics and shit as some other engineering degrees. quite a bit of management/mission planning involved aswell.
>>
Studying civil but I kind of wish I had gotten into mechanical. I just like robots and machines more.
>>
>>7999101
on the other hand it gets a bit boring sometimes filling spreadsheets all day.
>>
Electrical.

Circuits are dope and control theory is even doper.
>>
>>7999101
just do fucking mechanical engineering
you can even take more aero type classes or EE type classes if you want
dont even consider the others, you wont be turned down for any job with any one of the other degrees if you took the same classes and shit
>>
>>7999125
theres quite a big difference between mechanical engineering + aero subjects and aerospace engineering though, at least at my university. in aerospace engineering the put a lot more focus on air/spacecraft design, sizing different elements and stuff like mission design compared to mech. + aero subjects.
>>
electrical

The amount of lifetime i put in will never be replaced, along with the opportunity costs. Oh well thats life i guess, still better than any other field.
>>
Most versatile engineering degree for getting all sorts of jobs?
>>
How different is an engineering degree vs a physics one besides the obvious stuff of course?
>>
Mining and geotech for that money.
>>
>>7999281
Mining and mineral processing for the money and travel opportunities

>tfw the money hasn't been great and I haven't had a chance to travel
>>
>>7999238
Mechanical
>>
ME
My parents wanted me to be either an engineer a doctor or a lawyer and I didn't want to be a doctor or a lawyer.
>>
>>7999260
Even ignoring all the differences about the different stuff you learn.

Engineering is all about problem solving skills.
>>
Can anyone tell me what it's like being a software, electronic or mechanical engineer, because I'm likely going to try and get a career in it.
>>
What's a more versatile and better job, electronic or mechanical engineering.
>>
>>7999492
I'd probably say ME.
>>
>>7999495
Any particular reasons as to why?
>>
I'm gay
>>
Electronics with focus on Control
>>
What's the pay like
>>
Physics engineering because I liked physics but also wanted to have a job in the futur
>>
>>7995412
gender engineering
>>
Guys, I honestly want to quadruple major in all the 4 major fields (Electrical, Chemical, Civic, Mechanical) and eventually later in my life and career, get a masters or two in sub-fields such as Comp. Engineering, or maybe Nuclear Engineering. I know it's not possible to quadruple major in those, but what should I major in for my bachelors that is the most encompassing? Could I just major in engineering and then get masters degrees in the others? Should I just major in Mechanical and Civic? Mechanical and Electrical? Which one can I major in that will give me the most education of all the other fields?
>>
Software engineering, but I should have majored in math desu. No engineering discipline really interests me.
>>
>>8000356
bump engineer huh?
>>
>>7995919
This.

Although I'm far more interested in microbiology. But gotta impress the parents and go with software engineering and that phat check.
>>
>>7999238
Manufacturing
>>
>>7999502
because its the most nebulous engineering education you can get. you focus on literally nothing.

you are forced to get a masters if you want any kind of specialty.
>>
>>7999386
are you jewish?
>>
EE but i'm not sure what i want to specialize in. Telecommunications and power are in demand but I'm more interested in computers.
Any fellow australian EE students?
>>
File: image.jpg (81 KB, 500x500) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
81 KB, 500x500
>>7995412
Computer science
>>
>>7996094
Microaggression much?
>>
>>8000456
FAG
>>
>>8000462
That's discrimination
>>
>>8000421
Japanese
>>
>>8000475
asian was my second guess.
>>
Hey dudes,

Taking thermodynamics next year, wanted to learn some during the summer

Can someone recommend me a good thermo book?
>>
computer engineering

why? because I was born too
>>
>>7999113
Controls has me pulling my hair out this semester. Then I found out all my classmates LOVE it.

I just don't understand lol
>>
>>8000253
pls be trolling nobody is that wide-eyed
>>
>>8000719
I am though. I am just interested in engineering as a whole. Don't know which branch interests me the most though. Since I can't decide, I am trying to learn about as much fields as possible
>>
>>8000679
mechanical thermo or chemical thermo?
>>
>>7999101
If you're interested in robotics do EE.
Its pretty dead here in ME.

Pros:
For me it was easy to switch to aero or mats
Our first two years were exactly the same
Also fluids, heat and mass are sexy

Cons:
Mechanical is dying.
I wish I did EE.
Engineers are looking to replace the now more fallible, more expensive mechanical solutions with easy to debug and cheap to repair electrical ones
>>
>>8000746
>Mechanical is dying.

says you shitter. i suggest getting good.
>>
>>8000750
I've gotten two EE jobs without really trying and every ME prof I've approached has wring their hands and apologized that they don't have funding for new students.
Also the EE building/ lab is so much nicer.
>>
>>7996555
What are the job prospects like? I'm doing something like that, "engineering science", which is basically mathematical modelling of things.
>>
Take computer engineering. To be clear, the actual computer engineering is very similar to EE, but there's no bullshit Energy/Power shit and you're more into Electronics. With some programming skills or actually studying Informatics on the way, you can either program hardware, transforming images/sounds with your signals-systems knowledge, take into Theoretical Computer Science or try programming (software). There's loads of shit in there and the branch is broad as fuck, you can literally do whatever you want regarding Telecommunications, Signals, Hardware, Software.
>>
Networked systems engineering

But I'm gonna move to digital forensics and ethical hacking next year, hopefully
>>
File: 1460157281843.webm (306 KB, 640x360) Image search: [Google]
1460157281843.webm
306 KB, 640x360
>>7995412
aerospace because looks cool
>>
>tfw not going to class today. Lads, I have straight A's but should I be worried for not going today? I feel like fucking shit and have missed like 3 days of class this semester
>>
EE

Trying to decide between specializing in comms or signal processing at the moment, but I also fucking love VHDL in general so really all I know at the moment is that I'm not interested in power stuff

Fuck power
>>
>>7995964
This my exact plan. I want to develop firmware and dabble in some system level programming. Hopefully I am not being over ambitious. I am not worried about the math I am just worried about the EE classes since everyone seems to claim that they are incredibly hard.
>>
>>8000681
In your opinion what are the most demanding courses in the major? I am going to go with CE regardless. I just want to be somewhat prepared.
>>
Environmental. That way I can help black people get the water nigga.
>>
>>7996536
>This made me think, all the girls in my department seem like terrible bitches except for a handful. Anyone else have experience with this?
And the handful that aren't are genuinely very nice girls but honestly pretty dull. Don't let the quiet ones fool you anon there's no buried treasure in there.

Honestly I'd advise staying away from engineering girls in general based on my experience dating two of them, but I know that can be hard so stick with civil/environmental/industrial ones.
>>
>>8000715
Idunno man I'm mostly just pumped about having an actual application for the laplace transform.
>>
>>8000730
Electrical and mechanical if you MUST do a double major.

But by the time you're done you'll realize no one needs one person with ALL of those skills. It honestly will probably reduce your chances of employment
>>
File: 1328967201415.gif (147 KB, 400x324) Image search: [Google]
1328967201415.gif
147 KB, 400x324
>>7995551
>>7995880
>Nuclear

>>8001174
>>7996536
>>7997934
>>7998986
>Aerospace

>>7999281
>>7999335
>Mining and Minerals

>>7996009
>Materials

Top tier choices. Particularly Materials (my field) which is vital to all engineering fields and pretty niche, as evidenced by this thread.
>>
>>8001746
>stay away from engineering girls
Why man? Mine is smart as fuck and not 1 dimensional at all. Others I've talked to seem like they're cool as fuck.
>>
>>8000761
>every ME prof I've approached

>working for the school

m8, i know of at least 5 different companies in south dakota that would hire ME interns.
>>
>>8001787
Howd you cop yours
>>
>>8001787
Engineering girls suffer from what is known as "Desert Princess" syndrome.

they get an over inflated ego because the M/F ratio is so fucked and they begin to valuate themselves way more than they are actually worth.

i go to a pure engineering school, and even our Chad athletes don't date the girls here. they go up to Boulder or Denver to score.
>>
>>7995438
I actually want to work for NASA, so can you figure out what it is that you actually want to do, and go do that instead please?
>>
>>8001051
You don't have the knowledge of a pure physicist but in comparison you have multidisciplinar abilities.
You can work in electronics, mechanics, biochemistry, etc.
>>
>>8000253
You should attempt to double major in Mechanical and Electrical Engineering. You'll cover enough thermo to understand what the ChemEs study, and you'll have enough software to understand the CompE and CS stuff. Civil is largely applied Mechanics (static and dynamic loads).

p.s. you're not gonna do it. You'll pick one and go with it.

p.p.s. pick electrical
>>
>>8001063
If you're going to call Power "shit" then at least make sure you get a thorough understanding of analog circuits from your core classes. That stuff is fundamental.
>>
>>8001875
How's the school of mines?

captcha: click all the mountains
>>
Doubling up geophysical and petroleum.
Anyone else /MontanaTech/ here?
>>
>>8002022
Ayyy neighbor I went to UND
>>
>>8002030
>North Dakota
>Ever
Top geg, I had a homie go to Dickinson State and he regrets it every day.
>>
>>7999386
Kek exactly the same as me
>>
>>8001787
Is she ugly?

Be honest, anon.
>>
>>8001787
All engineering girls are either ugly or landwhales.
>>
>>8001906
no its ok I will just do what I am told and get a job at NASA
>>
>>7995412
Electrical

cuz shit is like MAGIC what the FUCK
>>
>>8002070
this is somehow the opposite of true at my school, in the ~100 person program all 5 of the chicks are minimum 8/10, it's amazing

but they have a backlog of dudes so long my nerd ass is never getting close
>>
File: 56c8fde1dbc65.jpg (78 KB, 800x627) Image search: [Google]
56c8fde1dbc65.jpg
78 KB, 800x627
>>8002204
If female STEM majors are a 6/10 they have access to non stop D

A friend of mine from high school is a chemistry grad student and has 10 betas fumbling over each other to get her attention whenever she changes her profile picture on facebook. Embarassing to watch desu
>>
>>8002232
How do you acquire these girls or are they not worth getting at
>>
>>8002232
one of them is a literal 10/10 that I've known for like 8 years and I don't think she has been without a boyfriend for more than 5 minutes in the last 4 years

but I must resist the carnal pleasures to get my wizard powers
>>
>>8002240
>without a boyfriend for more than 5 minutes in the last 4 years
huge red flag there senpai
>>
>>8002253
yeah I don't even try anymore, I have too much homework to socialize
>>
Biophysics.
BECAUSE ABIOGENESIS HOW WHY IS NO ONE TALKING ABOUT THIS SHIT I GOTTA KNOW MAN SHEEEEIT
>>
>>8000736

Mechanical thermo book
>>
>>8002239
The chemistry one I just happened to take some classes with in high school. I know a bunch of STEM girl from a math camp I went to in 11th grade as well. Only the chem one is le quirky nerd girl that you'd expect. I thought she was cool in highschool, now I just roll my eyes. The rest are pretty normal and boring, and I think they'd be worth dating to have to professional salaries.
>>
Do you guys think there's gonna be another large oil boom?
Because that could increase the amount of petroleum engineers.
>>
>>8002389
nah. renewable is the future. wind power is cheaper than gas even in texas
>>
>>8002389
>petroleum engineer
I feel bad for anyone that fell for this meme.
>>
>>8001706
Not him but in my program, the systems programming class has a 40% retention rate not because of difficulty but becauase of the insane workload. concept wise i havent found anything to difficult
>>
>>8002389
There's a large amount of baby boom petroleum engineers retiring which will definitely open up some positions. The last boom was largely driven by China's massive industrialization, maybe a similiar situation will happen with Africa or India in the next 30 years.
>>
Any other BioEs in here?
>>
>>8002281
not even memeing, but Enrico Fermi's book.
>>
>>8002489
I don't think so, developed countries are investing in nuclear fusion (Us, Germany, Italy, France...). To get there energy independance. and then third world countries like Saoud Arabia and venezuela ... will become as poor as ethiopia. bc nobody wants to buy oil anymore.
Thread replies: 131
Thread images: 7

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.