[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Trying to understand hypothesis testing in psychology, but I
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /sci/ - Science & Math

Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 1
File: preview.jpg (36 KB, 677x768) Image search: [Google]
preview.jpg
36 KB, 677x768
Trying to understand hypothesis testing in psychology, but I can't work out what tests to use for my hypotheses.

One example hypothesis is comparing three Independent variables with one dependent variable.

> low social support (satisfaction and number), low adaptive coping (seeking social support, stoicism, and self-care), and high perceived stress would be associated with high depressive symptomatology.

I think you would separate each IV and compare them individually with the DV.
>IV1xDV
>IV2xDV
>IV3xDV

So I was thinking a t test or maybe an ANOVA.

The second hypothesis is comparing a nominal variable with two dependent variables (i think?).

> rural participants will have lower perceived stress and depressive symptomatology levels than their urban counterparts.

I was thinking chi squares and an ANOVA?

I've looked through my books but it doesn't tell me what tests I need to perform, just that it requires pearson's r and stuff like that.

General SPSS thread.
>>
>>7993516
anova is for testing groupd differences, you want linear regression
>>
>>7993536
oh okay thanks
>>
>>7993516
What hypothesis test are you using? There's plenty, but I know you psychologists only use the most basic babby statistics
>>
>Nominal variable
This should be banned.
>>
>>7993545
Trying to work out what tests to use. Multiple regression looks like it fits for Hypothesis 1 though.

No idea what to do for Hyp 2
>>
>>7993551
Categorical*?
>>
Don't even bother. You will never understand it and it will only lead to flawed research
http://www.nature.com/news/first-results-from-psychology-s-largest-reproducibility-test-1.17433
>>
>>7993608
It's an assignment so I kinda have to do it. My fault for bumming out in stat class last year.
>>
>>7993608
To be fair, without looking at the article I can tell it's gonna be something to do with the significance level. The 0.05 significance level should be considered more of a guideline than an absolute threshold. I'm sure with a lot of studies in psychology you can get decent p-values when trying to reproduce them, but sure they may not reach the significance level.
>>
>>7993516
One-way ANOVA should be good for what you want to do.
T-test is decent if you're comparing one group against another with a small sample size, otherwise if you have a sample size of n > 30, you would use a z-test. You can form a hypothesis about the mean of the population in this case: "is x less than y?" or something. Keep it simple, and really try to understand why you're doing what you're doing.
>>
>>7993516
>>7993536
>>7993968
Sorry, actually just read what your assignment is. Linear regression should be fine.
>>
>>7993608

>Don't even bother. You will never understand it and it will only lead to flawed research

i'd give you the same advice on getting a girlfriend u memer
Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.