[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
I'm worried that I'm stupid, /sci/. I feel stupid.
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /sci/ - Science & Math

Thread replies: 52
Thread images: 3
File: 1407015590635.jpg (77 KB, 1440x810) Image search: [Google]
1407015590635.jpg
77 KB, 1440x810
I'm worried that I'm stupid, /sci/. I feel stupid. When I try to process thoughts in my head I just don't think my mind works like someone's that's intelligent. I took an online IQ test that consisted of pattern recognition problems and it put my IQ at 106. I'm anxious that my IQ might be around 80 or I'm borderline mentally retarded. I think my mind works slow. I see other people verbalise complex ideas from thought to speech and I can barely string together a coherent sentence about the weather. I have people ask me if I'm drunk because of the way I speak.
>>
>>7993286
I can't tell if your intelligence is below average or normal just from this post, but I'm almost certain you have an anxiety disorder. Med student, going for psychiatry.
>>
Joel is that you
>>
If you like ika-chan you can't be all that bad.
>>
Some of the dumbest people are rich. I mean just look at rappers.
>>
IQ means nothing de geso senpai.
>>
File: 1416323075312.jpg (16 KB, 256x256) Image search: [Google]
1416323075312.jpg
16 KB, 256x256
>>7993286
Before 18-19~
>Mind works at light speed
>Great at mathematics
>Great at sciences
>Writing is okay at best; find it difficult to be creative and consistent with it
>Hard to get immersed into books despite being able to read fast and quite well
>Speech is rather curt and come off as a cunt
>Look autistic as shit

19+~
>Brain slows down like mad
>Mathematics and sciences become increasingly difficult
>Writing quickly becomes much better and impresses English department
>Can easily get immersed into books
>Speech is less autistic and I just simply come off as slightly but likably off/weird
>Looks fit the speech

Similarities
>IQ 130
>Creative when I want to be

IQ more or less means nothing
>>
worrying that you arent as smart as you think you are/should be is a common hallmark of intelligent people

most geniuses and nobel-prize types actually have serious confidence issues about their own intelligence

chances are if you really were below average you would very likely know it as a certainty, eg it would be made obvious to you.

having issues with social stuff like conversational skills doesnt have much to do with intelligence, its more about confidence and social anxiety issues
>>
some people just arent good at conversations, especially small talk or things they arent interested in.

i think they classify that on the asperger/autism spectrum or some shit but really unless you are a tryhard social butterfly/extremely confident, lengthy conversations about sweet nothings with people you arent very close with comes hard for everyone
>>
>>7995325
So retards can have an IQ of 40 to 130 because it doesn't matter? If you are talking about outcomes then all the research points to it having an impact on life and what kind of job your going to get.
>>
Its true! Truly stupid people think they are not stupid at all. Psychologists basically proved it with what is called the Dunning-Kruger effect: a cognitive bias in which unskilled persons mistakenly assess their ability to be much higher than it really is. Thats because they cant recognise their own ineptitude and evaluate their own ability accurately. The same study also said highly skilled individuals may underestimate their relative competence. So dont warrry!! the fact you even have doubts means you are probs r smarter than many! lol at the insiration of the study tho: 'The study was inspired by the case of McArthur Wheeler, a man who robbed two banks after covering his face with lemon juice in the mistaken belief that, because lemon juice is usable as invisible ink, it would prevent his face from being recorded on surveillance cameras.' From wiki.
>>
Take this test I think it's pretty accurate

www.freeiqtestonline.com
>>
>>7993637
Hey bro its me, Jay
>>
Maybe you just have problems focusing or anxiety like>>7993299 said. As far as words go, when was the last time you read a book? Reading helps with the speaking problem you mentioned and may build up some confidence about your intellect as well
>>
>>7995786
I'm reading The Foundation series right now.
>>
>>7993286
I have the opposite problem, I could probably solve world hunger right now and yet I suck in school. I also have anxiety problems, too, but only around girls... Likewise... I'm also not bad looking? I think? I don't know how that has to relate now that I think about it... Shit... Whatever
>>
File: Untitled.png (88 KB, 920x259) Image search: [Google]
Untitled.png
88 KB, 920x259
>>7995776
>>
>>7995872
Ah, don't feel bad my retarded friend, intelligence is just a genetic roll of the dice like height. It's not your fault you're stupid.
>>
OP, I've slowly had to learn that people just think differently.

Personally, i can grasp extremely complicated concepts, but as soon as it comes down to memorization, quickly studying, quickly calculating, quickly ANYTING smart..... forget it.

It's actually pissing off one of my classmates.
"I don't get it, you seem to know about all of these things, but I never see you studying them or ever use reference or seem to actually know what you're talking about, but when I look them up I just find out you're right."

But that same little shit beats me at fucking everything in class.
>>
>>7995882
My thought process is well the best way to describe it is extremely fragmented. I imagine other people's minds work like a flowing stream. Mine is more erratic and fragmentary. My thoughts aren't verbalised either. I don't think in language.
>>
>>7995887
I think in memories and abstractions. I imagine other people's thoughts as a streaming conscious of verbalisation.
>>
>>7995887
If existence didn't exist how smart would you think you are? That is, ignoring everything you've been taught to think about what makes intelligence intelligence and ignoring all rules of humility ever conceived, how smart do YOU think you are, measured by your standards?
>>
>>7995893
That's usually sometimes often correct. Not globally indifferentiably completely and uniformly correct, but often it's accurate enough to work.
>>
>>7995896
When I was younger I thought that I was smart. But as I've gotten older I've begun to think that I'm really stupid. I only had one event in my life that made me think I was intelligent. That was in 6th grade and we had a geography bee. I beat everyone in my class and I beat everyone in my grade. Then I moved up to it with a school wide contest and beat the 7th grade winner but lost to the 8th grader at the end.

I was in the classes for stupid kids. My teacher asked me what I was doing in these classes. Everyone knew those were the classes for kids that weren't vert smart or just didn't try. I didn't know what to say to him. And he transferred me into advanced classes and I flunked out of those by the next semester.
>>
if you want to get smarter, keep asking what don't you understand in the question you're getting asked/what part of it you don't get.
>>
>>7995921
Industrialized education is a plague that kills creativity. (Intentionally or unintentionally, it doesn't make much of difference.)

You sound like you naturally think in what I'd call "fluid thought." That you are aware of this is weird but not entirely unheard of. Everyone thinks the way you do by default, but when they learn language they just naturally start to use words in their thoughts by sheer habit. My advice, if there was any "advice" to give here, would be to think of your brain as missing a chunk of your speech center. There's no reason to assume there's anything wrong without outside of possible that exact area. Your typing is fine and you seem to be able to answer questions coherently so I'd say it's localized enough that it shouldn't be a problem outside of verbalizing your thoughts eloquently.

Most people aren't excellent at this to begin with.
>>
>>7995923
They don't sound like they have an intelligence problem. It sounds entirely verbal to me.
>>
>>7995927
I've always thought there was something wrong with the way I think. I noticed it when I was young and watching movies when a character goes into an internal monologue. It always stuck with me and it always stuck with me because I didn't think the way. I remember the movie it was Who Framed Roger Rabbit. That's what made me start noticing it.

I don't understand why I never developed language in my thinking. What's wrong with me that I never developed it? I've been living my life this entire time with this mental handicap?
>>
>>7995887
>>7995893
Usually I already have my intuitions. I can see where an argument goes wrong or why certain reasoning doesn't make sense automatically. The only "thinking" I'm doing is putting that intuition into words.

Introverted Thinking is pretty OP.
>>
>>7995949
>What's wrong with me that I never developed it?
There's no real way of knowing. It could be that you just had no use for it so you never flexed the ability. I could see it being a kind of "feral" way of thinking, but again; you're typing coherent replies, so there must be some kind of intelligence behind it.
>I've been living my life this entire time with this mental handicap?
Apparently, but I wouldn't consider it a handicap from the get-go. In some ways it could be seen as a good thing, like your mind is free from language-based associations and therefore conceivable free from social conditioning and more or less "enlightened." How is your internal sense of self? Do you think you are a person or just how do you feel about yourself aside from reflections on your intellectual capacity?
>>
>>7995963
Oh, this post, isn't OP btw. Just a random anon dropping by offering my thoughts
>>
>>7995963
This. I'm an excellent speaker/writer and I have the mystical ability to see why literally everyone is wrong. Patient observation is a hell of a thing. I'm virtually never wrong about how things work.
>>
>>7995970
I feel really inadequate when I listen to other people speak and the words come so easily to them. I have to think really carefully about what I'm going to say and put the words together deliberately in my head or I'll draw a blank. I don't know what you mean by internal sense of self. My mind at rest is in a state of fleeting inarticulate emotions. When I think, I think in systems and break them down into components whether that's a memory, an idea or language. Most of my thoughts are in memories and alerting those memories and shifting them around to come up with ideas. It makes sense now why I rely on metaphors to communicate so much.
>>
>>7993286
So what? Being smart is overrated. You can be stupid and make great contributions if you just focus your efforts towards something you care about.
>>
>>7995993
Let's see... Your locus of awareness seems to be too refined. That is, your natural mental space is too rigid, too open. To you, activating brain regions is more like a conscious decision than an organic process. I'm not entirely sure why some people are like that, but I think it's becoming marginally more common as we increase our survival rate. It's too soon to say that our genetic entropy is making us Schizophrenic and overly-conscious, (species wide, I mean) but weird stuff seems to be happening to our consciousness as we progress into the modern technological era.

How are about reading? Do you understand what people means most of the time? Can you process my posts effortlessly or do you have to juggle the parts of my message to put my meaning together?
>>
>>7996000
I don't know exactly what's wrong with me. Maybe I was just never intelligent enough to develop language based thinking.

I have no problem reading or listening to people and instantly discerning things. I've never had a problem with that and it seems to me to happen effortlessly.
>but weird stuff seems to be happening to our consciousness as we progress into the modern technological era.
I've been using computers since a very young age. I spent most of my time using a computer as a kid. Maybe that has something to do with the way my brain developed. My mom I noticed with my baby nephew that she never actually talks to the baby. She just makes noises at him. Maybe she did that to me and I never developed language thinking because of it.
>>
>>7996027
>She just makes noises at him.
What? Like, non-linguistic noises? Because I'm pretty sure not having a parent speak would ruin your ability to verbalize things. Can you have conversations with her now or is she a vegetable or something?
>>
>>7996027
Oh, and on the comprehension angle: If you can pick up meaning well enough then your intelligence definitely isn't limited. Overall I'd say just stop worrying about it. (Or if there's a real problem you struggle with, don't think of it as relevant to your intelligence.)
>>
>>7996028
Like the cooing that people do to babies. You know? There's nothing wrong with her. She just doesn't talk to the baby. I remember thinking it couldn't be good for the baby listening to her with it. She just coos at the baby and makes faces and plays with his hands and stuff like that. She doesn't actually talk to him with words.
>>
>>7996035
That might do it, yeah. Do you have any older siblings to measure against? If not, wait 20 years and see how your brother develops. I don't think it's hard to pick up locution is you really want it.
>>
>>7996044
Nephew not brother. He's not with my mom all the time. He's usually with my sister. My sister I don't know about her. On the surface she doesn't seem like the smartest person and more like a ditz but when it comes to achievement she has made herself wealthy and made good life choices. I think she's more intelligent than she lets on.
>>
>>7996063
>I think she's more intelligent than she lets on.
Sounds like she has similar symptoms then.

Yes, it is entirely possible that your mother's way of interacting with you led to a deficiency in your natural capacity to express yourself using verbal signals. If this is a "learned" deficiency then there really is no real reason you can't learn to express yourself more effectively/efficiently. Just think of it as a habit to form and try to find lots of different reasons to express yourself.
>>
>>7996075
Another thing I remembered. I have extremely terrible vision. I'm nearsighted. I think I might be legally blind without glasses. I can see fine with glasses but I didn't get them until I was in the 3rd grade. I don't know how I spent my early years functioning without glasses now that I know the difference without them now. I remember when I put on glasses for the first time there was a whole world I didn't see around me. I think that's why my memories from a young age are so hazy because I really didn't even see much. I think that could have had an effect on my mental development.
>>
>>7996086
That would have a significant impact, yeah. I won't say you're handicapped in any mental capacity so just wear glasses and find excuses to talk. Let the words come rather than trying to assemble them.
>>
>>7996092
I can't even function basically without glasses now. If I lose them I have to feel for them because I can't see them. I wear them every waking hour. I used to wear contacts but I don't any more. I was walking around in a foreign city wearing contacts once and one of my contacts came out. It was a horrible experience. I couldn't see anything and I was in a place that I didn't know.
>>
>>7996104
That sounds terrible. I'd give you retinal implants if those were a thing. I legitimately believe that there is zero deficient in your intelligence just from our interactions ITT. Can I ask why you chose an Ikamusume pic for the OP?
>>
>>7993286
What anime is that, m80
>>
>>7993286

Be glad that you feel stupid. It means you're probably smarter than you think. Feeling smart will make you an arrogant wanker like the average /sci/autist and you will be dumber than you think.
>>
>>7993286
If you got 106, even on those bullshit tests, then you don't have an intellectual disability. You probably just have some problems with executive functioning in speech/language. It doesn't mean stupidity or intellectual disability. ID is an inability to reason in all areas all of the time, and you would have been identified in secondary school. Don't worry, like the other people here are saying you're smarter than you think.
>>
>>7995370
Are you me?
>>
I supposedly have 135 on iqtest.net (legit test from dutch mensa). and still because of my fucking environment and being born and living in total shithole in fucking poland at 27 my only "achievement" is learning english and reading some books like selfish gene, the act of creation, structure of scientific revolutions etc in the original ;_;
>>
>>7993286

Speak out your mind on vocaroo. Just talk for like 5 minutes saying whatever is on your mind right now. We'll tell you if you're retarded.
Thread replies: 52
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.