[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Air Bonsai
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /sci/ - Science & Math

Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 3
File: air-bonsai.jpg (154 KB, 1024x768) Image search: [Google]
air-bonsai.jpg
154 KB, 1024x768
Hey, have you heard of 'Air Bonsai?'

I think it is bullshit, another crowd-funded scam. That is, unless I am missing something here. Let me list my concerns with the setup.

>Video shaky, handheld camera except for floating parts
>No description of mechanics besides 'magnets'
>No third-party video or reviews
>Earnshawtheorem.jpeg
>No shipments made yet
>No mist from having liquid o2/n cooled superconductor
>Seemingly no pyrolytic graphite, (I think this would be advertised

Only saving grace is that it is powered by electricity. Are there any rules/laws regarding electromagnets I am unfamiliar with? Or what could the electricity be for? They are claiming the wall converts to 15 volts dc. What would it power? Is this another solar roadway? Another underwater lung?

Link: https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1280002828/air-bonsai-create-your-little-star
>>
>>7992851

it looks like theyve just put putty/flocking on a magnet to make the underside look organic and put a tree on top of it. same as every other gimmicky floating display piece toy on the market
>>
>>7992851
>3,784 backers pledged $843,743 to help bring this project to life.

What gets me is the distance. I've fooled around with making magnetic bearings. It is doable, but damn the magnets you need to do it are powerful and the distance is rather close. But, i was using N52 magnets, not normal magnets with larger fields. You just use permanent magnets, not electromagnets. Their thing is the same. Magnets in base and floating thing. The electric only rotates the base's magnets to make the floating display rotate.
>>
File: levitron-revolution.jpg (52 KB, 600x357) Image search: [Google]
levitron-revolution.jpg
52 KB, 600x357
>>7992851
lol no. You don't need superconductors to levitate stuff. Earnshaw's theorem does not say magnetic levitation is not possible, just that it is unstable. Provided one has a means to know where the magnet is and a means to adjust the applied magnetic forces one can stabilize a magnet such that levitation is possible.

There are devices on the market that do exactly this:
http://www.amazon.com/Fascinations-REV2P-Levitron-Revolution-Platform/dp/B003BWSW0E

>>What would it power?
electromagnets and a system that adjust them.

>>Is this another solar roadway? Another underwater lung?
no, but it's a silly idea and it looks like something out of skymall
>>
>>7992994

Earnshaw's theorem says permanent magnets cannot create stable levitation, what am I missing here?
>>
>>7993042
>what am I missing here?

Magnetic bearings are a thing in the real world and used right now in industry. You can make them at home too. You can make levitating stuff at home using the same methods. You merely need the right shape for the magnetic fields.

Perhaps the Earnshaw's theorem is only talking about 2 magnets? You need quite a few in order to levitate stuff. Their fields need to over lap just right. The magnetic fields in the OP image should appear convex (floating object) and concave (the base) and when put together the concave field acts as a bowl for the convex field to rest in. Each field is actually several fields working together.
>>
>>7992851

But that's not a bonsai? Its a sprout, it could become a bonsai with care but it hasn't been shaped at all and doesn't even have any woody parts yet. If it was a legit bonsai that was floating that would be pretty cool, but mostly because bonsais are cool in general not so much because of muh magnets
>>
There's much more interesting possible ways to levitate things that I think deserve to be tried out.
Have they managed to create ball lightning or any other self-sustaining electric currents yet?
Because I'd imagine it could be possible to rest a light enough object on one.
>>
>>7993096
They are bonsai. Micro bonsai. Some are over 20 years old. Micro bonsai usually isn't that popular because it is so difficult. They require lots of maintenance.
>>
>>7993042
One is an electromagnet.
>>
>>7992851
its real but its incredibly useless and wasteful
>>
>>7992851
Fake as fuck the hand movements as
they put the thing on is so obviously edited.
>>
>>7993767
No it isn't. There's no electromagnets in that device in the OP, they only use electric to rotate the permanent magnets to make the floater rotate.
>>
File: 81wc7rOO03L._SL1500_[1].jpg (157 KB, 1500x1500) Image search: [Google]
81wc7rOO03L._SL1500_[1].jpg
157 KB, 1500x1500
Pic related is a device that exists, is cheap, and works pretty well. I imagine this is pretty similar except with a planter on the top instead of a speaker.
Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.