[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
>Even if aliens existed, they would think of us as we think
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /sci/ - Science & Math

Thread replies: 21
Thread images: 4
File: Thinking 4.jpg (23 KB, 392x400) Image search: [Google]
Thinking 4.jpg
23 KB, 392x400
>Even if aliens existed, they would think of us as we think of ants

Humans think of ants as insignificant because for the most part they're almost invisible to the naked eye due to their size.

Many people, myself included, are fascinated by ants.

Why the fuck is this comparison always made when people bring up aliens? I find it improbably that a space-faring civilization would be so large that human beings would be of comparable size as ants are to us. Plus I'm sure there'd be a couple ayylmaos that would be curious enough to at least acknowledge us.
>>
>>7992822
There are humans who take interest in apes right ?
So there definitely are aliens that would take interest in us
>>
File: antfarm.jpg (55 KB, 500x708) Image search: [Google]
antfarm.jpg
55 KB, 500x708
>>7992822
>>
Try reading Roadside picnic
>>
>>7992822

lol it's not about out physical size you idiot.
>>
>>7993437
are you saying people would not be interested in ants if they were human-sized
>>
>>7993454

People are interested in ants already, but that doesn't mean we chat with them.
>>
They would capture some of us and register our DNA and snapshot of our civilization. If they feel like studying it further they would run it through their simulator to see how our civilization would advance, similar to the game spore. There wouldn't be any more knowledge to gain from us besides that, at least not compare to the other under developed civilizations.

We really don't want the bored ayylmaos that see ants as worth playing with cause we tickled their fancy
>>
>>7992822
I've always hated this "Humans are like ants to aliens" analogy. That's not my ego talking, it just doesn't make sense. First of all it completely ignores intelligence and sentience as a "connection" between races of the universe, and second it assumes we know what aliens think, which is the most arrogant thing of all.
>>
>>7993505

the point is that if some alien race has developed galactic or intergalactic travel they arent going to be that interested in what we have to say on an intellectual level. us using calculus and learning about 3d printing would be about as interesting to them as ants using teamwork to transport leaves to us.
>>
>>7993420
Is that ant smoking a fatty?
>>
>>7993508

I actually kind of doubt that. Maybe if the alien race has developed interstellar travel and has also been doing it forever and has encountered hundreds of thousands of human level species, then yes. But if humans were to develop interstellar travel, I'm pretty sure we'd shit ourselves over the first few alien civilizations we found, even if technologically they were less advanced than us.
>>
>>7993508

If I developed interstellar travel and came across sentient beings that were even stone age tier smart I sure as hell would be interested.
>>
This thread is pointless as the likelihood of life existing outside our planet is near zero.
>>
File: image.jpg (49 KB, 505x431) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
49 KB, 505x431
>>7993636
>>
>>7993644
He's right you know.
>>
File: 1444490370701.jpg (144 KB, 550x550) Image search: [Google]
1444490370701.jpg
144 KB, 550x550
>>7993426
fucking this
>>
>>7993734

What do you base this on
>>
>>7993615
Assuming were the first other 'alien' species they have seen too? Your point of view is from that of the human, who has never made contact with other 'aliens'.
>>
>>7993523
I would smoke out an ant farm if i had one
>>
>>7993508
>what is warp drive
i think humans are interested in other human-like civilizations
Thread replies: 21
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.