[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Solar is shooting sky high!
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /sci/ - Science & Math

Thread replies: 30
Thread images: 3
File: Hexagonal Graphene.jpg (398 KB, 2570x1204) Image search: [Google]
Hexagonal Graphene.jpg
398 KB, 2570x1204
Scientists have added a one-atom thick layer of graphene to solar panels, which enables them to generate electricity from raindrops. What does /sci/ think of this?

http://sciencenewsjournal.com/future-solar-panels-will-generate-energy-raindrops/
>>
Not clicking, have an (OP) though.
>>7992172
>>
When we are able to synthesize enough graphene to put in every solar panel, most problems we have today will already be solved.
>>
>>7992172
I saw that it's about 6% efficient in its process. This means 6% of the energy of a raindrop interacting with the graphene layer. Basically barely any energy at all in terms of practical use, but it's cool I guess
>>
>>7992172
grant bait/academic masturbation
>>
>>7992172
Can someone explain how this works to a brainlet?

Preferably without oversimplifying.
>>
>>7992232

Why don't you just do a bunch of IQ tests until you get a higher score then you wont be a brainlet any more
>>
>>7992244
I'm not literally a brainlet, I've just never studied physics, so I am effectively a brainlet here.
>>
>>7992172
Wow, I was just thinking about this today actually.

Glad to know everything I can think of is already thought of and being worked on or already done. Are they doping the graphene with electrons?
>>
>>7992247
>Are they doping the graphene with electrons?

Never mind, the rain is what is doping it to kick start the process. Pretty neat.
>>
File: graphene-electrode-1.jpg (55 KB, 530x429) Image search: [Google]
graphene-electrode-1.jpg
55 KB, 530x429
>>7992232
It's used to turn the kinetic energy of the rain drop into electrical energy. Since we already have solar panels that are facing the sky, we might as well use this method to add power.

The carbon can be layered out extremely thin (two atoms tick) and forms a hexagon (a shape that is compact.) The hexagon allows large surface area to be covered while still allowing plenty of light to shine through.
>>
>>7992283
>It's used to turn the kinetic energy of the rain drop into electrical energy.

No, it uses the salts in the rain to create a graphene capacitor by doping it with the salt's ions.

What you are referring to is a different technology for graphene-based solar panels and your image is yet another technology for graphene-based solar panels. lol
>>
>graphene does everything.

>no one can figure out how to mass produce it into useful large constructs.
>>
File: idea.png (23 KB, 955x701) Image search: [Google]
idea.png
23 KB, 955x701
Here's a cheaper, more efficient invention to generate electricity from raindrops

The OP invention is fucking stupid
>>
>>7992172
This was on reddit.

It's trash.
>>
They should just add more layers, it's only one atom per layer.
>>
>>7992548
>Put giant water wheels all over your fucking roof
>their shadows block the light meant for the solar panels

Good idea mate
>>
>>7992623
Or just put it in your yard, or under the gutter spout...

Or make the water-catching surfaces out of solar panels
>>
>>7992655
If it's such a good idea then go do it
>>
>>7992664
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K5rJSkp8oQA
>>
>>7992703
>not having a funnel and gutter underneath the wheel

It is like they want foundation problems.
>>
>>7992172
Doesnt that shit burn really fucking hot?????????
>>
>>7992703
So you're telling me they could have the rain hit these "retarded new" solar panels first and THEN have the water run down to your wheel?
>>
>>7992762
no
>>
>>7992770
If you had enough money to buy an additional raindrop solar panel, you could just get many additional wheels and get much more power.

If you just wanted to fill your entire space with some generating devices, you would save much money using wheels instead of rain panels.

The rain panels perform no function not done cheaper by wheels.
>>
>>7992842
But there is no scenario where it's better to NOT have the rain panels. You can have both, it's not an "or" scenario. You can have the rain panels, and then run it off to as many water wheels as you like. The function of the rain panels is that they don't take up extra space when compared to a regular solar panel. Add as many water wheels as you like to the side of your house, because that's not really the point.
>>
>>7992903
The scenario where it would be better not to have them is the fact that they would be prohibitively expensive. If you could generate enough electricity from regular panels and wheels to run your house, why add more rain panels
>>
>>7992912
From a financial view point yeah it's better to have your water wheels, but I thought we were discussing objectively the best way to generate energy (using rain panels and waterwheels) regardless of price.
>>
>>7992172
If this is legit, it would be great for FL.
>>
>>7992194
efficiency is meaningless if its energy that you're getting that you previously weren't
Thread replies: 30
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.