[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Name me one thing that isn't a 'social construct'.
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /sci/ - Science & Math

Thread replies: 26
Thread images: 2
File: socialconstructshirt.jpg (26 KB, 400x400) Image search: [Google]
socialconstructshirt.jpg
26 KB, 400x400
Name me one thing that isn't a 'social construct'.
>>
>>7991784
race
>>
>>7991784
The universe

Note: this does not mean our concept of the universe but rather the universe itself
>>
maths
>>
>>7991784
Everything is a social construct, but somethings are also other things as well.

>>7991788
Literally managed to name one of the only things that only exists as a social construct. Nice job, retard.
>>
>>7991926
0/10
>>
File: 1457109256246.gif (349 KB, 350x233) Image search: [Google]
1457109256246.gif
349 KB, 350x233
>>7991926
>Literally managed to name one of the only things that only exists as a social construct
Yeah, whatever helps you sleep at night, libtard.
>>
>>7991931
Cry moar, bitch. Back before genetics it was considered a real thing. Nowadays it's regarded as pseudoscience and been replaced by better theories like population genetics.

The only reason it's still a prominent social construct after it got ridiculed out of real science is because the crybabies in the social sciences wanted to keep using it for their layman tier arguments.

Calling race a "social construct" isn't an attempt to stigmatize the term, it's an attempt to salvage it.
>>
>>7991938
But race is a social construct.

Just like colors
and words
and language
and information
and ethics
and laws
and constitution
and everything else in the world
>>
>>7991784
>Name me one thing that isn't a 'social construct'.

van der Waals forces
>>
Define social construct
>>
>>7991952
Colours are not a social construct, the names for the colours and the feelings, ideas, and culutral signifigance we attach to the colours are.

I think you're confusing yourself.
>>
>>7991784
I'd rather name one thing that IS a social construct:
empathy and I tire of SJWs insisting that I should have it for people I do not like.
>>
>>7991960
Not at all. Colors are just labels we attach to different wavelengths. There is no "red" in nature, there is just 650-750 nanometers long wavelength.
>>
>>7991970
Xd
>>
>>7991808
>X is not a social construct

>Note: this does not mean our concept of X but rather X itself
>>
>>7991970
>>7991958
These concepts are part of a shared consensus just like empiricism. They are also social constructs.
>>
>>7991970
That is literally what I meant.

>nanometers are a social construct btw
>>
>>7991965
>;____:
>>
>>7991979
Those interactions would exist regardless of a consensus and regardless of if there were no people at all to observe them.

What's with the human centrism?
>I know when the world will end: when I die.
>>
>>7991965
kek
>>
>>7991784
donald trump
>>
>>7991989
You misunderstand, anon. There is no guarantee that our understanding of these interactions is correct or complete. Our confidence in our current theory stems from social consensus and an empiricism model for truth.
>>
>>7991784
Ur moms dildo
>>
>>7991965
hi Sasuke
Thread replies: 26
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.