[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
If you lose half your genes every generation in sexual reproduction
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /sci/ - Science & Math

Thread replies: 26
Thread images: 1
File: image.jpg (28 KB, 323x455) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
28 KB, 323x455
If you lose half your genes every generation in sexual reproduction doesn't that mean that eventually your genes will be lost? So what was the point in the first place.
>>
>>7987611
No not necessarily, many of our genes are still the same more or less as we've had since being single-cell organisms. And there is no point.
>>
>>7987616
Actually speaking of being single-celled, mitochondria used to be free single celled organisms but we've co-opted them to produce energy for us.
>>
>>7987617
Margulis pls
>>
>>7987611
>He doesn't inbreed
Enjoy your diluted bloodline.
>>
Have many children and bring them up to have many children as well.

My mother for example has 11 siblings and I have over 40 cousins on my mother's side. All of them bear 1/4 of the genes of my grandfather.
So, in effect, my grandfather has multiplied by more than 10 in just 2 generations.
>>
>>7987611
When you marry, you become one with the person you marry, therefore all your genes are passed down to the next generation in one form or another.

God: 1 , Pre-marital Child Making: -1

God also proves understanding of transfer of genetic information from one generation to the next

God: 2 , Pre-Marital Childmaking: -1, Darwin: 1
>>
>>7987611

I'm going to phrase this simply, as I do not have formal training in biology.

That said, it has been suggested due to chromosomal evidence that Genghis Khan has millions of direct patrilineal male descendants. Specifically, my understanding is that it often (not always) happens that the male offspring of a father, carries an /identical/ y-chromosome. Thus that offspring, in the event that he himself also sires a male child, has very good odds to pass the /identical/ y-chromosome to that child, and so on and so forth. So some researchers noted the presence of identical y chromosomes in a large subset of the Asian population, started thinking creatively and historically, and they tentatively concluded that it must be the Khan whodunit:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Descent_from_Genghis_Khan#DNA_evidence

So in answer to your original question OP, the reason to breed and raise boys is to leave a definite trace, a thousand years later, reminding an entire continent that you successfully cuckolded them all. Your spirit will be unable to suppress a shitty grin, and then you will ride your horse into the night.

>insert image of smug pepe wearing an ornamental fur hat.jpg
>>
>>7987834

Sure, but once you get to the point where you've got 1,000,000 people who are 1/1,000,000th you, what's the point? They're no more related to you than they are to a randomly generated person.
>>
>>7987611
>image.jpg

another shit thread by this world renowned poster
>>
>>7987616
prove we were single celled organisms protip you cant
>>
>>7988377
boo hoo, no one in the year 2600 will be closely related to you, so sad
>>
>>7987611
Your genes wont be lost if they make your offspring fitter. Unless you get unlucky
>>
>>7990649
No, it doesn't matter, it will keep halving until they're gone.
>>
>>7990642

I didn't say it was sad, I said there was no point.
>>
>>7990662
Thats not quite how it works. The more children you have who become adults (ie the more fit you are) they greater the proportion of your genes that gets passed on
>>
>>7987611
>image.jpg

Ban phone posters.
>>
>>7987611
Not /sci/, maybe /his/ will give you the philosophical answer you are looking for.
>>
you just need to have 2 children
>>
>>7987611
I don't know, I look a lot like my great grandfather, while according to your theory I should only look like him for 1/8th.
>>
>>7990624
>what is mitochondrial DNA
>>
>>7991680
some fancy mumbo jumbo buzzword
>>
>>7987611
I swear by both the old gods, Thor, Jahve, Amon Ra, and the new gods, Jesus, Allah, FSM, I will find you and I will murder you, fucking gorilla poster.
>>
>>7991621
>I look a lot like my great grandfather, while according to your theory I should only look like him for 1/8th.

You also look a lot like many people you aren't related to at all.
>>
>>7987611
Second Law of Thermodynamics. Complex systems of self-replicated molecules formed out of statistical likelihood because they are better at absorbing energy and radiating heat to their surroundings. If you reproduce, you increase this entropy driven process. More complex, self-replicating systems through reproduction means more dissipation of energy. Genes have little to do with it beyond that people arose from different environments with adapted genomes/epigenetics for survival.
>>
Natural selection is about gene survival not genome survival. Your genome may break down exponentially through the generations but your individual genes last much longer and selection works at the level of the gene.
Thread replies: 26
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.