[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
How can photons interact with matter so heavily even though they're
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /sci/ - Science & Math

Thread replies: 22
Thread images: 1
How can photons interact with matter so heavily even though they're point-like?
>>
Light is an electromagnetic wave. It is not made of "point-like" objects.
>>
>>7986025
Explain double slit experiment then, faggot. And by that I don't mean the one I performed on your sister last night.
>>
>>7985987
You can't acutally localize photons, but that's an aside.

The counter-question to your question is:
Why would that be a problem?

>>7986025
Not the case in Quantum ElectroDynamics.
>>
>>7986033
Well, I looked for the cross section size of photons online and found some people saying it's the planck length. That is even less than that of a neutrino and it already reacts pretty weakly with other stuff.
>>
>>7986032
>comparing his dick with a photon
>probably thinks he's the shit
>>
>>7985987
Because they have energy and relativistic mass...? I honestly don't know what you're asking though.
>>
>>7986110
Well that's bullshit, photons don't have a defined size other than their wavelength, and furthermore the neutrino interacts weakly because it only interacts through the weak interaction (hence the name) whereas photons interact through electromagnetism, the strongest interaction.

>>7986332
Photons don't have mass ever, but they do have momentum if that's what you mean.
>>
>>7986335
>Photons don't have mass ever, but they do have momentum if that's what you mean.
Isn't momentum the product of mass and velocity, though? So how can they have momentum if they don't have mass?
>>
>>7986335
I meant they have energy and therefore relativistic "mass." So yeah since energy can be given through momentum then yeah I guess we're saying the same thing.
>>
>>7986340
According to energy-mass equivalence E^2 = (mc^2 + pc^2)^2 photons can have energy while having zero rest mass since they do have momentum which is a property of the photon itself.
Here's a link to help: https://van.physics.illinois.edu/qa/listing.php?id=1424
Read number 5. It's the most related to this.
>>
>>7986110
There's no known physical significance of the Planck length, idk who said there was but loads of people seem to think so now.
>>
>>7985987
if photons have a single frequency, does it mean they're everywhere at the same time?

(a wave with a single frequency is not localized)
>>
>>7986559
I though it was the size limit between "weird" and "extremely weird" in physics
>>
>>7986321
The only comparison you can make with those two is how infinitesimally small they are.
>>
>>7985987
Can anyone recommend a good book/ text book specifically on particle physics?

What foundation in math and physics do you have to have to study the topic?
>>
>>7986032
that experiment just illustrates that they're waves that interfere, not that they're pointlike.

Troll?
>>
>>7986678
It's just roughly the distance at which we need to start considering microgravity and stuff, it's not some hard limit or anything.
>>
>>7986696
That was the joke
>>
>>7986882
Kenneth S. Krane Introductory Nuclear Physics
>>
>>7987343
A really shitty joke
>>
>>7986521
Equation's wrong senpai
Thread replies: 22
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.