[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
>http://www.nature.com/naturejobs/s cience/articles/10.10
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /sci/ - Science & Math

Thread replies: 29
Thread images: 4
File: nj7597-139a-i1.jpg (40 KB, 300x365) Image search: [Google]
nj7597-139a-i1.jpg
40 KB, 300x365
>http://www.nature.com/naturejobs/science/articles/10.1038/nj7597-139a

So, nobody needs skepticism nor objectivity? Wow, what a nice science we have there. Looks like people in science are more afraid of made-up research than they are concerned about real thinking.
>>
>>7985939

Surveys aren't science.
>>
>94% of the scientists surveyed felt that scientific virtues can be learned.
>>7985952
Are you on of those who still need to learn?
>>
File: 3f3.png (296 KB, 500x327) Image search: [Google]
3f3.png
296 KB, 500x327
>>7985939
Fedoras and neck-beards play no role in science.
>>
>>7985939
>humility that low

What kind of shitty scientist won't change their mind when given new peer-reviewed facts? That sounds like fucking religion.
>>
File: 1269477326328.jpg (101 KB, 600x260) Image search: [Google]
1269477326328.jpg
101 KB, 600x260
>>7986010

I'm assuming/hoping they're grouping that in with Honesty (to the results) but yeah, data fudging is a problem.
>>
Honesty and curiosity?

Sums it up, desu

>perseverance
AHahaha, all right, I will consider this one, I just can't consider it without honesty and curiosity, and the same can't be said on reverse
>>
>>7985939
>So, nobody needs skepticism nor objectivity?

What do you think those words mean that they wouldn't be derivative of honesty and curiosity?
>>
>>7986029
to be honest curiosity doesnt necessarily imply or evoke any of them
>>
Does elite scientist imply the likes of Dr Naruto and Dr Black Science Men?
>>
>>7986010
welcome to climate "science".
>>
>>7985939
Objectivity is a meme
>>
>>7986082
Curiosity seems like it has to be a part of skepticism. If you weren't curious as to what is actually true and/or valid etc. you wouldn't bother being so rigorous in your criticism of theories
>>
>>7985939
You discover this first now? Hahahaha
>>
>>7986126
Maybe I'm just curious about what happens when I make up data. Maybe I'm skeptic wether being curious is actually beneficial.
>>
>>7985939
>So, nobody needs skepticism nor objectivity?
So, "nobody" is 13% and 21% of those "elite" scientists?
Lrn2nobody
>>
>>7985939
>American """"""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""Scientists""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""
>>
>>7986143
>he doesnt know rhetorical devices

seems like you belong to attentive fraction aka autist fraction
>>
>>7985989
>>94% of the scientists surveyed felt that scientific virtues can be learned.
and?
>>
>>7986022

That's great.
>>
>>7986215
it means that only 6% of scientists are real scientists. the others are just labtechs with some grant money.
>>
>>7985939

Hi neckbeard.

Objectivity is part of honesty.
Skepticism is part of curiosity.

Thanks,
anon
>>
>>7985939
Perseverence is a wasted vote. Any dumb fuck can try try again. Not science

Honesty is important in science so that deserves to be there, but curiosity is just a romantic choice
>>
>>7986229
>Objectivity is part of honesty.
True
>Skepticism is part of curiosity.
False
>>
>>7986227
*tips fedora*
>>
>>7986010
Welcome to health related science, friend. Enjoy your stay.
>>
Being honest means to accept when you are wrong and actually publish that you are wrong. Skepticism and objectivity are not values but methods of analysis.
>>
>>7985939
You were only allowed to pick three. If they'd picked Objectivity instead of Honesty, you people here would throw a fit just the same.

I don't even know what the point of this survey is ..
>>
>>7986195
>"""""""""""""""""American""""""""""""""""""
FTFY
Thread replies: 29
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.