[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Ninth Planet
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /sci/ - Science & Math

Thread replies: 60
Thread images: 1
File: destroyed.jpg (438 KB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
destroyed.jpg
438 KB, 1920x1080
Are we all going to die or what /sci/?
http://nypost.com/2016/04/06/newly-discovered-planet-could-destroy-earth-any-day-now/
>>
i wouldn't mind honestly
>>
>>7985297
post a pastebin you fagt
>>
>>7985297
return to /pol/ please, and when you get there go back to /x/
>>
>>7985297
>This article originally appeared on The Sun.
GTFO
>>
>>7986172
You bumped this thread to post that? Fuck you.
>>
>>7986177
You bumped this thread to post that? Fuck you.
>>
>>7986184
>What is sage.

Fuck you, newfag.
>>
>>7986188
>What is bait
Have a good one, friend.
>>
Why are people so obsessed with apocalyptic predictions?

Are their lives so shit that they actually strive to get killed along with many others?

And Im not talking about social outcasts,"normal" people do it as well.

This actually tells you a lot about the mindset of a society.
>>
> newly discovered planet could destroy earth any day now
depends on his mood i guess :^)
>>
>>7985297
That would suck, if it were actually going to happen. I've been reading apocalypse stories for most of my life, and all these things that were supposed to happen, didn't.

Don't worry folks. You'll still have to take your finals next month.
>>
>Tyche guy still trying to be relevant
>>
>>7985297
>muh nibiru : the thread
>>
this thread is much more fun on pol
>>
good thing we discovered it just before it killed us all lol ! I love coincidences
>>
>>7985297
>Ninth Planet

So Pluto?
>>
>>7986522
science is not supposed to be fun retard
>>
>>7985297
Anyone with even high-school level knowledge will tell you why this is full of shit.

Go back to /pol/ if you want to doomsday theorize.
>>
>>7986529
Pluto is not a planet, so no.
>>
>>7985297
neat
>>
https://youtu.be/Hm8oqlg8z4s

It's going to be called Doris
>>
>>7986577
pol is for politics
sci is for science. discussing planets IS science. Also keep your answers scientific and not so shitposty if you want to be listened
>>
>>7986577
>>7987272
/x/ is for doomsday
/pol/ is for senseless bigotry
/sci/ is for science
>>
>>7987121
Pluto is still a planet. It has its own moons and orbits the sun.

>pluto is not a planet

is just a meme
>>
>>7987272
>discussing planets IS science

Nope. Planets have nothing to do with science unto themselves. You are no more talking science than you would be if you were talking about a crash between a truck and a car. There's no science in this thread at all. It isn't even popsci.

You want to discuss planet sciences? Then discuss planetology, astrophysics, celestial mechanics, orbital mechanics, astronomy, etc. and provide studies, charts, trajectories, Kepler's laws/equation, etc.

But, don't talk about sensationalist blog garbage that has no more source than some professor's letter to Nature published in fucking 1985 about "Planet X" and reworking it into a big hoola.
>>
>>7986525
>we discovered it just before it killed us all

if a large meteor is going to impact our planet, to avoid panic scientists will tell you the truth at the very last moment, after Dimitry discovered it from the roof of is house and posted it on /b/ for the lulz
>>
>>7987742
>to avoid panic

Why would that matter?
>>
>>7986188
I thought they removed all the noko/sage stuff a few years ago?
>>
>>7986209
Indeed. It reveals profound insights about human nature. Such as, humans fear death.
>>
>>7987746

scientists will prefer to die while working at coordinating the military to launch whatever possible at that rock to break or deviating it

the alternative is to die on the street in a general chimp-out of niggers and mulsims: who the hell want to go trough that? I'd prefer my family to sleep tight and worry about inviting Samantha for dinner the day after
>>
>>7987756
Pretty sure sage still works
> newfags pronouncing it saaj
>>
>>7987784
>the alternative is to die on the street in a general chimp-out of niggers and mulsims: who the hell want to go trough that

I don't live around those people.

>>7987756
>that's what the wiki told me

Newfag.
>>
>>7987718
Spot the autist
>>
>>7987792
Been saying saaj for the past 8 years and I won't stop now
>>
>>7986172
the irony
>>
>>7985297
I've played enough planetary annihilation to know that super weapons are too much fun.
>>
>>7987700
It is a planet, a dwarf planet to be exact, it's not one of THE planets though
>>
>>7988637
>Been saying saaj for the past 8 years and I won't stop now
How the fuck else would you pronounce "sage"?
"s-age"??
I bet he says "JIF" too.

>>7988732
>It is a planet, a dwarf planet to be exact, it's not one of THE planets though
This is my only real problem with the "Pluto isn't a planet" thing.
A dwarf hippo is still a hippo.
A dwarf person is still a person.
Even a dwarf start is still a star.
But "dwarf planet"? Lol nope.
IAU says: "it's not a planet, call it a dwarf planet".
And, don't forget, it's more than big enough to be a planet, it just got disqualified because it has too many neighbors.
>>
>>7987895
>spot the op
>>
>>7988797
>How the fuck else would you pronounce "sage"?

Technically it's pronounced SAH-gay, two syllables - because it's Japanese for "to lower."

And JIF is technically correct also - that's how the inventor of the file pronounced it.

9/10 if bait.
>>
>>7987700
Pluto's orbit is controlled by both Neptune and the Sun, therefore it is a dwarf planet.
>>
>>7988797
Your genetic mutation analogy has no relevance to the definition of planet and dwarf planet.
>>
>>7989305
>the inventor of the file
... is not a linguist, nor does he have ownership of the name.
>>
>>7987756
You can still post without bumping the thread, but it won't be shown in the e-mail.
>>
>>7989305
>graphics interface format
>graphics
>gra
>jif
how the fuck
>>
>>7989356
>one must have a phd in English and a fellowship at the Reichsspracheschule to pronouce something a given way
>>
>>7990186
>one must know "Graphic" begins with a hard "G"
>>
>>7988797
Pluto is locked to 2:3 resonance with Neptune. It's not a planet.

>big enough to be a planet
Why isn't Titan a planet? Its bigger than Mercury.
>>
>>7990217
> one pronounces acronyms by their initials
Litterally what
Do you pronounce laser "Lahh st eer"?
SCUBA "scuh bah"?
>>
>>7986188
>>7987756
>>7987792
>>7988637
>>7988797
>>7989305
wait, is 'JIF' actualy a thing? I always say Gif, almost like 'Give'
>>
>>7990324
It's true, just joogle it
>>
>>7990324
"JIF" is a peanut butter brand.
"GIF" is the extension.
>>
Why is it that suddenly people care about how the words that make it up are pronounced for "gif", even though tons of other acronyms dont follow that logic?
>>
>>7986209
dying alone is boring
dying hand in hand with your brothers as the last of your species to walk into oblivion sound pretty fucking cool desu
>>
>>7990592
>suddenly
It's been a thing for years, in fact it was one of the first discussions I saw when I first came on here in some 7, 8 years ago now.
>>
>>7989305
>>7990217
>one must know "Graphic" begins with a hard "G"

One must know car begins with a c "see", but you don't say "sar", you say "kar". Point being, who gives a flying fuck?

I use "GIF" myself, with a hard "G". But I'm not a frigging autist man-child who needs to throw a temper tantrum every time someone says "JIF". I know what they mean, see? And I know that real-life language and pronunciation doesn't come from academia and semantics, it comes from speech. Languages evolve, because people make it.

So since people use "GIF" and "JIF", it's reasonable let it rest and accept that both are right.

Unbelievable though. You gotta love the interwebs for these aspects of social experimentation and discovery. It's like a window into the reality of exactly where all those feminist nutbags, isis suicide bombing idiots etc come from. Almost all wars and arguments, in the end, boil down to dumb ass semantics and misinterpretations of control freakish people basically doing what children do: "NO, yellow isn't your favorite color, it's MINE. I like it more than you do! *hits the other kid in the face*" And a riot ensues.

Fucking inbred monkeys the lot of this species...
>>
>>7987807
>I don't live around those people.

lucky you
still there is a chance that some religious hothead will break in your house trying to convert you, baptize your dog and shit like that

movies about the end of the world are weak in imagining what could happen:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fL4661jLS1E
>>
>>7986209
The worst part about dying is that while you are dead some qt loli girl goes to Mars for a shopping trip every Friday. You feel less bitter if you know that no-one else is enjoying life while you are being eaten by worms. The other reason is that if your life is shit the world being destroyed sounds fun.
>>
If Planet 9 were anywhere near us, it would have been discovered by the all sky near earth object survey several years ago that found every large object in the inner solar system. Because it wasn't found they know it has to be somewhere in the far point of its orbit, which makes sense because it spends way more time there than it does closer.

We could still be wiped out without warning by a medium sized asteroid too small to detect before and coming from the direction of the sun. Like a super Chelyabinsk object.
Thread replies: 60
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.