[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Do you have friends you work on problems with? I'm specifically
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /sci/ - Science & Math

Thread replies: 47
Thread images: 9
File: cob.png (16 KB, 122x215) Image search: [Google]
cob.png
16 KB, 122x215
Do you have friends you work on problems with? I'm specifically thinking of math, because that's what I do and what I want, but I'm just wondering about the intersection of other peoples' social lives and math/sci.

If you have math/sci friends, did you meet them in university? At work? I feel like there's not a single way to meet a math/sci friend outside of that.

Describe your get-togethers, do you work on problems? Have you worked on a recent problem with a friend in your garage with a cool whiteboard and workstation?

:(
>>
>tfw want a friend like this but feel like anyone around has too much of a life to reciprocate
>>
/sci/ doesn't get to bring friends
>>
>>7984500
I have a friend that I discuss problems with pretty much every day but we're both EEs. I also get together with a bunch of coursemates every now and then to go over stuff.

This mostly involves meeting in the library and chatting about bits that are complicated/not covered well. Usually the person who understands it best explains it to everyone on the whiteboard and then we collectively solve problems. Sometimes we go over problem sheets and shit as well.

I do study a lot of pure mathematics in my own time but I don't have anyone to discuss it with. That said, I think of maths as a solitary pursuit so I'm not sure I'd want to. I enjoy figuring things out myself and would either be bogged down having to explain shit or would have someone end up doing the same to me.
>>
>>7984500
>had a really cool friend who was 2x smarter than me
>I always tried to one up him, but no matter what I did he always had more will power more insight and more knowledge at anything we did.
>despite being frustrated that I can never get to his level, he was fun to interact with, he never looked down on anyone and we always had a blast when we tried to have fun.
>8 months ago he died because some dickhead in a bmw decided that red color means you can keep driving.

It still hurts. It's like I lost my best friend. I probably did, and it's horrible. Having a friend who is on the same wavelength as you is an undescribable experience. The way you can say an obscure sentence with him understanding exactly what you think is incredible.
>>
File: sad.png (5 KB, 205x203) Image search: [Google]
sad.png
5 KB, 205x203
>>7984527
But all of these people, they're all because you're in uni.

I graduated uni.

There is no hope.
>>
>>7984532
don't you work in STEM pham?
>>
>>7984527
>I have a friend that I discuss problems with pretty much every day
>but we're both EEs

So you are saying that "discuss problems" is just a euphemism for "suck each others dicks".
>>
>>7984570
>this gaylord can't have adiscussion without gobbling cocks
on the fast lane to HIV are ya?
>>
>>7984577
Engineers can't help who they are man.
>>
>>7984569
No. I am in the awkward space of having a math degree and hating programming and not wanting to grad-school.

Also unemployed, fairly bad grades and somehow tested worse than 75% of americans on the speed arithmetic---errr quantitative part of GRE.

Great learner, terrible student, no job.
>>
>>7984527
I'm legit jealous. My uni friendships fell apart. Don't let this happen to you. It's impossible to make new friends who want to come over and do problems.
>>
>>7984532
Someone should make a site for /sci/berpunks to chat and discuss problems together, like a virtual whiteboard or something. Also, I'm new here, does /sci/ have a demonym? I would guess it's /sci/entists, but that seems pretty vanilla
>>
>>7984597
you have options as sci prefix, midfix if that's a word, or suffix. -sci seems itallian, maybe there's a word that ends in sci.
>>
>>7984597
there's already a /sci/ discord chat somewhere
>>
>>7984605
https://discord.gg/0lqbvcXEubNop88X
>>
File: boat_lino.jpg (18 KB, 197x256) Image search: [Google]
boat_lino.jpg
18 KB, 197x256
There's also freenode for any academic pursuit you could think of.

My problem is FRIENDS.
>>
>>7984530
I'm sorry.
>>
File: 1459501114924.jpg (48 KB, 469x505) Image search: [Google]
1459501114924.jpg
48 KB, 469x505
i guess i have friends

>physics class normally full of black people
>only about 7 white people in the entire class, including me
>we space our seat positions out so we don't look weird
>today none of the black people showed up for some reason
>we all sat next to each other and discussed things and went over notes
>i learned more in today's class than any previous class
>i didn't feel anxious when professor called me to the board to work a problem
>feel smart for the first time in years
>5 of them agree to form a study group in the library between classes

what do you call this experience
>>
>>7984674
Racism.
>>
>>7984674
>what do you call this experience

It is called, "/pol/ is always right."
>>
>>7984597
Even if someone came up with a better one, everybody would still just call us /sci/entists.
>>
File: worksheets.jpg (75 KB, 450x421) Image search: [Google]
worksheets.jpg
75 KB, 450x421
>you will never work with friends on problems outside of university
>>
>>7984681
>white people are awkward losers around black people for no reason
>/pol/ is correct about that
Uhh ok
>>
>>7984674
I believe it's called prejudice.
>>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oljO7lhN9i8
>>
File: image.jpg (20 KB, 225x225) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
20 KB, 225x225
>>7984675
>>
I'll be friends with you fags and work problems together. I live in south Texas though so doubt any of you live nearby.
>>
>>7984590
how did you graduate math being a bad student? isn't it a ton of work?
>>
>>7985005
Math is easy.
>>
>>7985005
Followup, are you retarded?
>>
>>7985012
I am not american, I just took a look at some math undergraduate program and it seems surprisingly light. Is only nine recquired courses the norms in american higher education?
>>
>>7985024
No? Link?
>>
>>7985032
https://math.berkeley.edu/programs/undergraduate/major/pure

Actually 13 if you count the electives

My program requires at least 32 courses to achieve the degree
>>
>>7984590
You are not doing what you should do. U did not find u really love in math... switch to something else or live a miserable life.
>>
>>7984500
no, everyone is too slow and holding me back, while providing no valuable input most of the time.
>>
>>7985061
>>7985088
I would not be your friends.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CKYihAiz-lE
>>
File: 1433557822668.jpg (9 KB, 500x369) Image search: [Google]
1433557822668.jpg
9 KB, 500x369
Back in physics I met this one person who was much more extroverted than me, and started a study and facebook group. The problem is a large portion of the class found out about it, and would just ask for solved problems, rather than for help and never helped others out.

Anyways some of us who actually did our work gave up on the group and made our own smaller group of 3 people. We all ended up becoming good friends.

>>7984720
I remember our study sessions going up till 3-4 am while our server at Sharis taunted us. It is a mixed feeling.
>>
>>7985116
>I would not be your friends.
I have plenty of friends I don't work with.
I would not be your friend either.
>>
File: house_crow_boat.jpg (926 KB, 1200x800) Image search: [Google]
house_crow_boat.jpg
926 KB, 1200x800
So basically, it's impossible to make math/sci friends outside of uni/job.
>>
>>7984500
>>7984500
>Do you have friends you work on problems with?
I like to work on problems on my own, however I do have a friend I met in uni whom I discuss math in general with. It's usually at lunch but sometimes we go to his place (and yes, he has a whiteboard).
Usually we talk about whatever new insight we have or whatever book/article we have been reading and found interesting or problems we can't solve, pretty chill desu.
>>
>>7984997
>implying they would be friends with a redneck
>>
>>7984674
The roots of racism.

You have no idea if the black kids would act any differently than the whites because you've never tried.

Your eyes have blinded you.
>>
File: 1457907935800.jpg (1 MB, 876x1300) Image search: [Google]
1457907935800.jpg
1 MB, 876x1300
>>7984675
>>7984760
>>7986207

i should clarify, i am not racist
during class i usually sit next to 2 black guys and we're pretty close bros, we study together and share notes and stuff
i also acknowledge that there are some extremely smart black people, because there is one in my physics class
i would not be surprised if that guy is a mochizuki-tier genius
he's definitely smarter than me, at least

the only reason i want to sit next to the other white guys is because i feel so out of place in that classroom, and i'm sure the other guys feel that way too, but we can't sit next to each other or people would suspect bad things (like you've done)

when it was just the 7 of us, there was some sort of harmony, like we were all on the same page, on an almost telepathic level
usually the guys sitting next to me have understood and solved a problem long before i've even finished writing it down
but when it was just us, it seemed that we all had the same questions at the same time, and we were able to form a sort of collective consciousness that really helped me understand the concepts
>>
>>7986323
Anon. I'm latino.
Being racist is natural, but "discrimination" and "prejudice" are better terms.

We tend to feel more empathy towards similar beings to us, knowledge and experience tend to eclipse this behaviour. That doesn't mean that tendency dissapear, that just means that you notice every person who is not in the same success path as you are, is a burden. You begin to understand that being with the same "friends" is not the same anymore. You meet more people with common interests as yours.

A polish friend, an Ecuatorian guy and me used to debate some religious topics at highschool. We used to meet to learn some pick-up tricks and behaviors because we were very shy.

Years later he conformed with being a lol gamer with a friend. He says he is happy, living with his parents.

>inb4 propaganda
>>
>>7986323
>harmony, like we were all on the same page, on an almost telepathic level
>able to form a sort of collective consciousness

I was actually just reading a really interesting study about this phenomenon, called Dumi-ism after the researcher Ima Dumi who's done other work in "hyper empathology", well worth a read, I highly recommend it.
>>
>>7986440
i don't actually believe in that quack shit i was just using it to get a point across
Thread replies: 47
Thread images: 9

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.