[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Out of curiousity, how does the naming scheme for medicines?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /sci/ - Science & Math

Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 1
File: adderall-fb.jpg (391 KB, 1200x800) Image search: [Google]
adderall-fb.jpg
391 KB, 1200x800
Out of curiousity, how does the naming scheme for medicines? Sorry if this is the wrong place for this question, but I'm writing a story in a near future where a new ADHD medicine is developed that causes a drastic increase in the creativity of the person taking it.

I don't know much about neurochemistry or pharmaceutical manufacturing but I assume that this hypothetical medicine would be in the amphetamine family but I'm not sure if it would have some sort of prefix in the clinical name (dextroamphetamine etc).

tl;dr: How could a drug that boosts creativity work and what would the clinical name for it be?
>>
>>7983439
Brainicillin.

It's random
>>
>>7983440
That would be an antibiotic wouldn't it?
>>
>>7983439
The people who discover it come up with a name for the base structure that's significantly shorter than the IUPAC name. Everyone knows that that structure refers to the substance of that IUPAC name. Prefixes are added to indicate modifications to that structure.

Since you mentioned amphetamine, amphetamine's chemical name is 1-Phenyl-2-propanamine. Methylated, it is (2S)-N-Methyl-1-phenyl-2-propanamine. Scientists know amphetamine refers to the first, so you stick a "meth" before it to indicate the methyl group.

It's for convenience and not to confuse doctors.
>>
Medicine names are decided by focus groups to appeal to their target consumer-base. Usually the name is some sort of pseudo-latin derivative, like 'paxil'.
>>
>>7983451
Not OP but, so the structure of the molecule is not encoded into the short name?
>>
>>7983462
The generic name is based more on the class of drug than chemical structure.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Drug_nomenclature
>>
>>7983462

Sometimes it is but most modern medications don't incorporate the chemical name. For example, Phenibut is an abbreviation of β-phenyl-γ-aminobutyric acid. Paroxetine AKA paxil, is (3S,4R)-3-[(2H-1,3-benzodioxol-5-yloxy)methyl]-4-(4-fluorophenyl)piperidine, so there's not relationship at all.
>>
Interesting. Does anyone know how brain chemistry could be affected to increase "creativity" Is that even something you can measure with brain chemistry? I mean you could increase endorphins to make someone feel more alert/active but to use that energy creatively seems like it would be another thing.
>>
>>7983486

There's this term called 'lateral thinking' that I think maps to part of what is considered 'creativity,' basically it is defined as using reasoning to arrive at solutions that are not immediately obvious through conventional logic. They say marijuana enhances lateral thinking but it also makes you paranoid and anxious in the long run.
>>
>>7983486
You said it was an ADHD drug, which tend to be stimulants. And jut speaking personally, caffeine makes my imagination go wild, so yeah it's entirely possible.
Don't talk about endorphins or brain chemistry in detail, you'll only look like an idiot. Stick to stimulants and nootropics, those are vague enough to buy into
>>
>>7983521
>>7983664
I understand. I mainly was just curious for curiosity's sake I wasn't going to go into too much detail in the story. Just the name and a general description of how it works.
Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.