[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Why study mathematics or physics at university when you can study
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /sci/ - Science & Math

Thread replies: 23
Thread images: 1
File: Sitting-Griz1.jpg (432 KB, 950x1425) Image search: [Google]
Sitting-Griz1.jpg
432 KB, 950x1425
Why study mathematics or physics at university when you can study engineering and get a job? Then you can study maths and physics in your own time to your hearts content.

t.this is what I'm doing.
>>
>>7983284
Because for some people:

Chance to do physics research > Engineering jobs
>>
"can" is relative.

The fact that so view (I can only think of Heaviside) do it makes me thing it's not really a path you are eventually willing to go.
If people start working, get families etc., they are lost w.r.t. doing something relevant.
And I don't personally know any engineer who's good at math
>>
Because NEET is a valid lifestyle
>>
Because engineering courses are boring as fuck with no prospect of getting you laid whatsoever, engineering jobs are boring as fuck yet will still leave you mentally drained for real study, engineering research likely won't make you a succesfull scientist nor an interesting person.

Yeah, I'm a useless engineer enjoying my golden cage. Feels bad man :>(
>>
What's the easiest engineering field that will get you a job?
>>
>>7983323
Civil

If you're wanting a job though, just get some time in with Mavis Beacon and get an AS or something, then hit up the unemployment office for some IT jobs. It'll give you something to put on your transfer application (jobs count as "extracurricular activities") too, if you feel like you want to do more with your life at some point.

Status, money, it's passing, so long as you and any human beings you are responsible for can still eat and save a bit of surplus. School's about fuckin LEARNING.
>>7983316
No it's not. It fucking sucks. I've been there. Hated it. Hated everyone (myself included) for not doing more to prevent it.
>>
>>7983284
But mathematics and psychics do get a job!
The paying in engeenering is a bit higher though.
>>
>>7983432
>psychics
Holy shit. I meant physics. I wish I can study psychics though.
>>
>>7983284
>Spend 4 years of my life doing something I hate (or at least don't love)
>To then work in a field that I find uninteresting
>To then start learning what you actually want to learn, when you have a full time job and bills to pay too.

Fuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuck that.

If you actually care about physics or math then you will hate your life in about two years, maybe even in just one semester.

My Calc I professor told me she first entered engineering because that was suggested to her because she was a genius in math from a young age. She then found it so trivial and not even a semester had passed before she moved on to pure mathematics, I believe in this very university.

That will happen to you, or you will take too long and then you will kill yourself.
>>
>>7983443
Kek
>>
>>7983284
Because I don't want to be an engineer.
>>
>>7983284
Turn the question around: Why study engineering and see your jobs be outsourced to India and China when you instead can study Physics?
>>
>>7983605
That's right, they can't outsource high school teachers.

That's right, why would they even outsurce workers that already earn minimum wage.
>>
>>7983284
Why take an engineering degree
and then start studying physics and get in a loads of debt?

I am studying engineering aswell, and yeah i can study math and physics after my degree however I can't put that much of time studying because I need to finance myself.
>>
>>7983683

What's so hard about buying a few books?
>>
>>7983284
Because the people itt are too insecure in their heterosexuality to suck a dick
>>
>>7983284
There's a number of jobs that aren't accessible (easily) to engineers. If you want to do observational astronomy or atmospheric sciences, you're better off with a physics degree. Sure, an engineering degree doesn't make it impossible getting those jobs, but it's rather unheard of.
>>
Because the point of studying math/physics is to do research

Once you've done actual research, studying becomes boring
>>
Because I'm not gay
>>
>>7983284
What if I don't want to work as an engineer?
>>
>engineer with free time
Lol enjoy your overworked overstressed lifestyle where the only enjoyment you'll get out of those megabux is paying other people who work lower stress lower pay dream jobs whenever they're not out doing whatever else they love.
>>
>>7983284
Because I'm interested in science, not in making money.
Thread replies: 23
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.