[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Where can I purchase a small sphere of aerogel like pic related?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /sci/ - Science & Math

Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 1
File: Aerogel Sphere.jpg (30 KB, 500x450) Image search: [Google]
Aerogel Sphere.jpg
30 KB, 500x450
Where can I purchase a small sphere of aerogel like pic related? Carbon or Silica is fine.

Also, I'm curious about its properties irl, since I've never handled it and I would like to keep it and handle it frequently.

>How cleanable is it?
>How elastic/firm is it? I've read that carbon is pretty elastic. What about silica?
>How light is silica aerogel? Apparently carbon is insanely light and won't deform flowers it sits on, but I can't find images of silica on anything but people's hands.
>>
>>7983095
You can buy plates of it, but a sphere is not something that they would make since it makes no useful sense.
>>
>>7983111
What good are little cylinders? They're basically all just curiosities and specimens for ogling.
>>
>>7983111
Also, I got this image from someone that was selling them on Amazon, but is out of them. So someone made some.
>>
http://www.buyaerogel.com/
>>
>>7983188
I've already spoken with them. A sphere would have to be a custom order (who knows if they'll do it or not?). They're supposed to get back with me about it.
>>
>>7983095
>google aerogel
>one of the very first links is selling exactly this
do you have any problem solving skills at all?

http://www.teachersource.com/product/aerogel/density?gclid=CPj8tO6s-ssCFQNkhgodLgIBqg
>>
>>7983095
>How cleanable is it?
It absorbs water and breaks down, im guessing its hard to clean. There are treated aerogels that are hydrophobic, that might help keeping it clean.

>How elastic/firm is it?
Its pretty brittle, imagine a block of dried sand or dirt, only a bit less brittle.
>>
>>7983223
This is not a sphere. Do you a have basic understanding of geometry?

>>7983242
>It absorbs water and breaks down
It does?

>There are treated aerogels that are hydrophobic, that might help keeping it clean.
That's why I was leaning in the direction of the hydrophobic from buyaerogel. I've never heard that aerogel breaks down when it absorbs liquids.

>Its pretty brittle, imagine a block of dried sand or dirt, only a bit less brittle.
So is it only the carbon aerogel that's elastic?
>>
>>7983095
Who are you quoting?
>>
>> sphere
You'd have to get one custom made, the fuck do you want a sphere

>>7983267
Yah aerogel breaks down when it absorbs water becoming regular gel. Aerogel is made by carefully drying out a gel so that the original structure remains intact, typically with supercritical CO2.

>> Elastic
Nah m8, pretty much all aerogel is not elastic, either it crushes to nothing or it fractures

Yes carbon nanotube aerogel is somewhat elastic:
http://www.aerogel.org/?p=1878
But you can't buy that. Maybe you could make it yourself if you bought some expensive lab equipment and got some free carbon nanotube samples
>>
>>7983446
>You'd have to get one custom made, the fuck do you want a sphere
What's it to you?

>somewhat elastic
From what I've read carbon aerogel is extremely elastic.

>But you can't buy that.
There's some form of carbon aerogel I can buy.

http://www.buyaerogel.com/product/carbon-aerogel/

Considering the fact they're electrically conductive, I'd say that's your man.

I wonder how durable the hydrophobic-coated silica aerogel is.
>>
So are basically all aerogels likely to disintegrate if exposed to moisture unless coated? What about RF aerogels?
>>
>>7983242

>It absorbs water and breaks down

Aerographene doesn't - instead it absorbs hydrocarbons.

>Its pretty brittle, imagine a block of dried sand or dirt, only a bit less brittle

Aerographene retains it's strength over many, many cycles. Graphene in general has a reputation for durability, in spite of it's brittleness.

>>7983488

Aerographene lacks that flaw, but will absorb hydrocarbons. Polycyclic aromatic hydrocarbons are stable, with a high melting point, and also denser than water - to be honest, the lightness of aerographene is a problem; it would blow away in the wind. PAH's would weigh it down, increasing the mass of 1m3 of aerographene from 160g to 144kg.
Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.