[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
calc vs discrete math (uni)
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /sci/ - Science & Math

Thread replies: 26
Thread images: 1
File: math_0.png (30 KB, 596x371) Image search: [Google]
math_0.png
30 KB, 596x371
So, I had a go at uni last year and completely sucked (Computer Engineering), I did fine in Programming 101, but Math related I completely failed Calc1, save the Calc1 its easy meme, obviously I'm not leveled so for me it isn't.

So I kinda got discouraged and didn't do much, but I was thinking about giving it another go next semester.

Well the question is this: I have the chance to do Discrete Mathematics before Calc1 (its not standard, but I'm allowed), do you think it would be better to do that course first and that may help me do Calc better later? Or should I stick with Calc and study more?

Give me your thoughts anons.
>>
>>7983017
any math will help you do other math easier

that said, calculus is elementary. you only need to follow instructions. you might need to work harder and start trying to learn instead of memorizing
>>
>>7983017
How the fuck did you fail Calc 1?
Discrete Math is completely unrelated to Calc 1. Taking it b4 Calc 1 won't help.
>>
Discrete math is indeed easier, but if you're failing Calculus I, you need to try harder.
You're a computer engineering major. You'll need to learn it. It's not a fun class, and I only got a B in all three of them, but it's necessary.

I will say that after taking all three of them, the discrete math course at my school is a complete cakewalk. I've scored perfectly on almost every exam and quiz so far.
>>
>>7983052
I know I need to do it. But if Discrete is easier and I get used to make demonstrations more and be around math, maybe Calc won't be so hard, not because of being related.

I had shit tier high school education and only thing that learned in math was functions and algebra, I guess there is the problem.
>>
>>7983067
ocw.mit.edu
stop wasting time and go learn
>>
>>7983017
>save the Calc1 its easy meme

It is, retard.
>>
>>7983085
Easy or hard its relative my friend, what is a fact is that you are an intolerant prick.
>>
>>7983067
>I had shit tier high school education and only thing that learned in math was functions and algebra, I guess there is the problem.
Oh my. You're in the same boat I was.

Going straight from algebra to calculus is asking for trouble. To make matters worse, you're probably going to be taking a physics class, after you complete your first semester of Calculus.
Rather than starting with discrete math, which won't have many applications in any class that you're taking in your first or second years (aside from, perhaps, data structures), might I recommend taking a college trigonometry or pre-calculus course over the summer?
>>
>>7983090
I am not your friend you shitlord.
>>
>>7983092
Actually in the suggested chronogram I should do Physics 101 (Mechanical) at the same time than Calc1, which I also took at the professor was like "Everyone know integration right?", I knew I was fucked then.

There is some online pre-calc to take (no video), actually its was I was considering at first, then I thought about the Discrete Math thing.
>>
>>7983094
I'm not your shitlord buddy
>>
>>7983144
I am not your buddy, faggot
>>
>>7983160
I am not your faggot, amigo
>>
>>7983164
I am not you amigo, senpai
>>
>>7983110
What kind of university are you going to? How does the professor not know the prerequisites for his own fucking class?
Are you American?
>>
Discrete is mostly unrelated to calc. If you want some pre cursor material that could actually help, review your trig
>>
>>7983177
I'm not your senpai, pal
>>
>>7983241
https://www.fing.edu.uy/

Depends on your definition of american, but no.
>>
>>7983354
In America, the students are stupid.
In other countries, the fucking teachers seem to be stupid. I can just imagine some Mechanics professors I know marching down to administration and pitching a fucking fit over students being sent to them without any Calculus.
You'll definitely want to take precalc, if you have to go to school there. In the meanwhile, derivation and integration have a basic formula that you can use to take derivatives and integrals without knowing much about either. You can pluck them out of any Calculus text.
>>
I'm having the opposite problem. I AP'd out of Calc I and II and passed Multivariable Calculus just fine, but I was absolutely destroyed by discrete math in my algorithms class to the point that I dropped. I don't know if it was a lack of proper attention/care, or the fact that the teacher was an absolute murder.
>>
>>7983017
I failed calc too the first time don't worry, the guys here have very high standards
Just gotta do a shitload of optimization problems. Derivatives and integrals aren't even that hard but applying them is annoying
>>
>>7983017
>bombed calc 1

Don't go back, you will be wasting time and money. Do something else with your time. STEM isnt for you.
>>
>>7983017
Discrete is honestly very easy, but it has nothing to do with Calculus (literally why it is called Discrete Math, because it is distinguishing itself from Calculus which is Continuous Math). I don't think that it will help you at all to take Discrete with regards to Calculus
>>
>>7983780

This is generally the pattern I see, since discrete tends to focus more on abstract problem solving skills, whereas calc is more about rote practicing a bunch of similar problems and being able to get through it by that and just doing a bunch of tedious algebra. I don't know what >>7983052 is smoking.
>>
>>7983253 I'm not your pal,fucko.
Thread replies: 26
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.