[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
What advantages do elite universities have over regular ones?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /sci/ - Science & Math

Thread replies: 67
Thread images: 6
File: 1457917273192.jpg (122 KB, 1278x1181) Image search: [Google]
1457917273192.jpg
122 KB, 1278x1181
What advantages do elite universities have over regular ones?
>>
>>7982828
The jews earn more if you pay more for an "elite" one. Other than that its 90% branding and 10% actual better profs.

t. Ivy league graduate
>>
>>7982828
their students come here to brag because that is the only thing keeping them from killing themselves
>>
You can literally buy your grades
>>
You get to meet richfags
>>
>>7982860
If you're referring to grade inflation that's really only a thing at harvard.
>>
>>7982866
>only at Harvard
Someone post the grade inflation chart. There are maybe two elite schools that don't inflate their he grades.
>>
File: 1429940170813.png (50 KB, 835x401) Image search: [Google]
1429940170813.png
50 KB, 835x401
>>7982828
NETWORK
>>
>>7982873

Why do they do this? Aren't they supposed to get the smartest people? So why do they need to inflate the grades.
>>
>>7982828
Literally research potential. There is zero reason to go to an elite university for a sheet of paper, even less of a reason to pay for it. Most employers and graduate admissions recognize the redundancy in "muh prestige"
>>
>>7982828
Muh prestige
>>
>>7982835
>>7982860
>>7982881
>>7982896
Holy shit. Look at all these jealous brainlets. Lol. Keep crying that you have ti attend a low tier "uni".
>>
File: 619.jpg (57 KB, 590x750) Image search: [Google]
619.jpg
57 KB, 590x750
>>7982902

>attends a top tier uni
>can't spell or use grammar correctly
>>
I can absolutely confirm the only thing you get is literally MUH PRESTIGE. It's not a joke. I've attended one of the best universities in the country and a mid-tier university. Literally no difference. If anything I'd argue the mid-tier had better run classes. Tutors were more helpful, etc.

Elite universities are brand names, nothing more.

This applies even harder if you're just an undergrad. Don't even think for a minute that elite universities have this secret edge to teaching undergrad courses. If anything the professors will give even less fucks than normal because they're too caught up with their own shit.
>>
>>7982928
>Literally no difference.

This.

So called elite universities are just giant tax free ponzis schemes thanks to their charity status.

Like fuck, Harvard would would probably be the best performing Hedge Fund on the planet the way they invest their endowments.
>>
>>7982828
Being around better, more curious students is legitimately helpful in learning.
>>
>>7982866
Happens in all universities.
>>
>>7982828

idk anything about all these american unis, but the benefits of Oxbridge here in Blighty are as follows:

>You are much more closely supervised and mentored by your supervisors to make sure you aren't falling behind
>most of your classmates are genuinely interested in the subject
>approximately one in 20 students is a bonafide genius, and hanging around said geniuses is very good for your brain
>all the colleges are rich as fuck and so have very beautiful gardens and toptier equipment
>prestige

Its not a huge deal - none of these factors are *essential* - but it is quite nice. Aim as high as you can, friendo.
>>
>>7982928

This. Its also easier to be a big fish in a small pond. This means you might get more challenging research opportunities at a smaller school then a big one.

Grad school is the only time "tier" matters, and even its not the university rank, its the program rank.
>>
>>7982928

I also went to a mid-tier and later elite (top 10) university. I don't really see a difference education wise. Half the undergraduates there I question how they were even accepted. The top students at the mid-tier university would have faired just as well as they did there at this school. There are tons of students that do badly in easy 101 classes here and these are suppose to be the top 1% of the students in the nation.

The difference is the name branding and the amount you're paying to get that name brand.
>>
>all this talk about money

americans never cease to amuse me
>>
File: 1450769686907.png (296 KB, 649x649) Image search: [Google]
1450769686907.png
296 KB, 649x649
>>7982943
>>7982961
I'll also add that when I went to a so-called elite university that I had several professors who started courses with 'Don't e-mail me, I won't reply to them.'

Just some of the most stubborn people who have insane egos. That part of the elite university really rubbed me the wrong way. There's this really insufferable level of smugness from everyone. Both teaching staff and students.

>mfw undergrad students who are literally arguing and talking shit to the next university over about how much better their school is

I don't ever touch that garbage, but I've seen it more than enough times over the years to make me really despise some of the people who were at the same university as me.
>>
>>7982972
>I had several professors who started courses with 'Don't e-mail me, I won't reply to them.'
That's not an ego thing. Some professors are absolutely inundated with emails and very likely won't even see it if you do email them. I TA'd for a professor in this position.
>>
>>7982972

This is pretty different from my experience. I go to a top-5 in the US, and I've never once heard somebody dog another school. All of my professors are also incredibly open to interfacing with students. We have a famous person in our computer science department who will literally just invite you to his office hours to talk.

One of my professors at this school once said, "If you're finishing these assignments quickly, fine. If you think they're easy, fine. Just remember that there's always somebody better. And if you really are at the top of human potential, don't forget about the aliens."
>>
>>7982966
>Half the undergraduates there I question how they were even accepted.

Oh thats easy. They normally just shortlist the tens of thousands candidates according to their race first and then randomly select the successful ones using specific criteria like grades, hobbies, work experience, sports etc.

50% International
25% Asian
10% White
5% Black
10% disabled, mentally ill etc..
>>
>>7982980

>>>/pol/
>>
>>7982972
To be fair some professors get hundreds of emails a day. If you have a serious emergency they're not going to be looking for your email.
>>
>>7982944
seriously this
i failed out of ivy for reasons i wont get into
i was always behind my classmates and this always motivated me to catch up
but when i failed out and went to a state school, everyone was always behind me, usually starting assignments the night before and shit, so i didn't have the fear of falling behind my classmates to motivate me
>>
From personal experience, you meet really, really interesting people
>>
File: 1453121415211.jpg (68 KB, 720x529) Image search: [Google]
1453121415211.jpg
68 KB, 720x529
>>7982909
>>
>>7983091
>he can't differentiate an argument from a non-argument.

Your post wasn't an argument, dummy.
>>
>>7982878
>need
They don't need to. If they removed grade inflation most people there would still do quite well. I suppose they just have grade inflation to make sure there graduates have better prospects. Most elite unis only care about what their students can do for them. They care more about getting their graduates into prestigious grad school, companies, etc. The only exceptions to this are schools with grade deflation that actually care about pushing their students, like UChicago and Berkeley.
>>
>>7982896
>>7982881
>trivialising prestige
You may not care about prestige, in fact I think it's pathetic when people go to certain unis just for prestige but you can't deny that most top tier employers care about the reputation of their school. Grad schools are an exception only because they know more about the system.
>>
>>7982980
>i-i couldn't get into a good uni because of my race
Sure, /pol/lack
>>
>>7982980
>50% international
>international students only make up around 10% of most unis.
>>
Prestige is good for internships even if the education itself is similar.
>>
>>7982828
They actually care about having the best facilities and the best teachers. That's mainly the big difference, that they have money to spend and they spend it.
>>
>>7982878
They inflate the grades for many reasons
>Students getting overly obsessed over GPA rather than actually learning anything or any skills
>Students spend whole lives getting solid A+'s and lose their shit on the professor when they get below that
>Student's routinely lowering in quality and maturity causes the loss of academic discourse so it's all regurgitation
>Administration believing high grades makes them look good and punishing professors who don't

My friend goes to Harvard and he said 90% of the people don't even belong in a university setting. He said that people who got like a single C+ would have emotional breakdowns over it.
>>
Here's an alternate perspective that applies to really motivated students for why they should attend top-tiers.

I had the privilege of attending a top tier as an undergrad, and began taking graduate classes my sophomore year. By my senior year, I was attending graduate seminars. I had the privilege of learning this modern material under the field's leading experts; in some seminars I learned foundational theorems proved by faculty at the university.

A non-top-tier would not have the same breadth and depth of graduate courses/seminars, and certainly not that type of faculty.

If you're a mediocre undergrad, it may not matter what school you attend. But I can't imagine having the same quality of education at a mid-tier.
>>
>>7982972
>>mfw undergrad students who are literally arguing and talking shit to the next university over about how much better their school is

Well if it's Oxford talking about Oxford Brookes or Cambridge talking about Anglia-Ruskin then I don't blame them, I'd probably get in on that.
>>
>>7982828
Maybe better professors, this probably isn't the case, but definitely better undergrad research opportunities
>>
>>7983091
Your argument was poor though.
>>
>>7982828
The people around you will be a lot smarter and there's a good chance there'll be more research.

Take this from a guy who spent a year at a mid-level school and then transferred to the best school in my country.
>>
>>7983337
C+ is pretty terrible tho

85+ is fine but ideally everything should be 90 in your major... i'd be fucking pissed if i got a C in an important class
>>
>>7983337

http://www.thecrimson.com/article/2013/10/23/grade-inflation-harvard/

Tl:DR go to Harvard and get all A's unless you are utterly terrible and get a B.
>>
>>7982834
>He didn't get a scholarship.

Pro tip: Them offering you a place without some form of funding is a polite way of rejecting you.
>>
>>7982828
If you're studying STEM, look for a large school which is ranked well in the program you want. Going to an Ivy League school is great if you're studying business or anything in that realm because of connections... but in STEM, you really want a school with ample research opportunities and good funding for your program. This also makes sense because you pay less money right off the bat and will probably get scholarship money if you have the record to boot.

Coming in as an undergrad, I knew I wanted to study biochemistry/biophysics. Best advice I got was to ask a tour guide to take me in to the research buildings to look at labs. Some schools looked great on the surface but were absolute shit in what I wanted to study. Then of course most research Universities with ranked programs are selective about who they let in to said majors; but it's usually a pre-major program as a freshman, in which you need to pass certain courses with a desired GPA to be accepted -- so it's a piece of cake if you're motivated.
>>
>>7982928
Came here to say this, you're just paying for a brand and ironically lower universities tend to have better teaching because they're not so wrapped up in research. I don't know how you can think you achieved anything getting into Cambridge when Chief M'Bongo of Bafufuland paid his way in with blood diamonds.
>>
>>7982972
>Send email to professor asking for course help
>He replies with a page long diatribe on "how dare I not put "sir" at the beginning and "yours sincerely" at the end.
>Rattles off all his alma mater and qualifications saying how this means he deserves utmost respect
>Guy was literally acting like he was the King of England and I had refused to bow.
>Demands I come to his office
>All over missing out "sir" in a fucking email
>I told him that I'm not coming and if he tries to have me thrown out over this I'll sue the university and make it public for I am a paying adult customer and will not be treated like this
>Never hear from him again, he decided to only speak through the head of department from then on who ended up taking my side after a long investigation

Those guys were power tripping hard.
>>
>>7985974

Lol...
>>
>>7982972
my profs just ignore my emails
not even a "fuck you"
>>
>>7982828

when you finish the school, u put on ur cv that u finished harvard and there you go with high salary
>>
>>7986090
I'd much prefer a "fuck you", ignored emails are the worst feel.
>>
>>7985974
Fake and gay
>>
>>7985892
No it's not. A C is supposed to represent average performance. However kids going to an ivy aren't used to falling near the mean of their peers and freak the fuck out when they're not the smartest kids in the classroom anymore.
>>
It feels much better talking shit about elite unis and you know what feeling is the best?

Beating the shit out of an Harvard Elitist kid at math when you're just a poor community college guy.
>>
Research facilities. High Prestige universities are really just graduate and post doc circlejerk clubhouses since the fed throws money at them.
>>
>>7982828
Literally just the star power and branding.

Only the Asians and Jews who go to elite unis actually do anything of intellectual merit while there. The rest are just rich kids or legacy admissions.
>>
>>7986151
Fucking this. when i went to undergrad, my friends and my sister would complain about their CS courses and how the failure rate on a sophomore level class was 60%. 60% of the entire CS class failed and either dropped out of the program or retook the course, sometimes even 2 or 3 times.
>>
>>7986151
Why should a C at a top school be worth the same as a C at a party school? The problem is that there's no universally good way to interpret grades.
>>
>>7986277
Sometimes I wish I just majored in philosophy, studied math on the side for fun, got all A's, high GPA and went off to law school.
>>
It's easier to get a high GPA at an Ivy than an above average state school, because the Ivies all inflate their grades so much to keep up their reputation.
>>
>>7982828
unless you're a genius, not much.

it's better to be a big fish in a relatively big pond, than a small fish in a lake, trust me

unless you got a full ride, just go to one of the good state schools

t. Top ten ChemEng grad
>>
>>7982980
>not grouping black and disabled in the same statistic
>>
>>7986100
Depends on the degree. Graduating with a Gender Studies degree in Brown University is worth far less than a degree in Electronic Engineering from some community college.

It's all down to the degree you get. I'd actually hate to be one of those rich stereotype Ivy League guys, because no matter how hard you work, and no matter how good your degree is, you'll never know if you got the job legitimately or if your parents got you there through connections.

Unless you go to MIT, in which case your work will get you where you wanna go (I think. I'm not American, but I head MIT is brutal in terms of academics).
>>
>>7986496
Speaking of that some Nigerian got into all the Ivies again. I want to know what her GPA was to make sure it wasn't because of diversity quotas.
>>
File: 1455396745182.jpg (34 KB, 600x398) Image search: [Google]
1455396745182.jpg
34 KB, 600x398
>>7982828
Nothing.

If you look at employers like Google or Apple they usually don't hire from Ivy schools. Hell most employers don't even care about your GPA because they're going to train you to a certain degree.

HOWEVER if you plan on going in research you should actually go to a top university. As you'll be able to network and get yourself into a nice position at some lab.
Thread replies: 67
Thread images: 6

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.