[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
How come it's possible to get a PhD and remain scientifically
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /sci/ - Science & Math

Thread replies: 33
Thread images: 3
File: 20050524_4.gif (8 KB, 440x275) Image search: [Google]
20050524_4.gif
8 KB, 440x275
How come it's possible to get a PhD and remain scientifically illiterate?
>>
>>7981646
Ignorance is bliss
>>
>>7981646
Why is scientific literary relevant to writing a thesis on Chaucer
>>
>>7981646
http://www.nsf.gov/statistics/infbrief/nsf10308/

A huge chunk of PhDs awarded are for people like Melissa Click who literally go to cons to study fandoms.

Also, turns out a lot of people are inherently retarded.

For example, for thousands of years philosophers have made arguments for the existance of god, only for their argument to be destroyed by the next generation of philosophers. But the punchline is that both those who do arguments for god and those who do arguments against god... BELIEVE IN GOD.

I've always known that people who study philosophy are retarded but seriously. Thousands of years of easily disproving pro-god arguments and no one has made the connection that maybe, JUST MAYBE, god doesn't exist.

Lets just give the philosopher brainlets a couple thousands of years more, I'm sure they can make it.
>>
>>7981658

I sincerely hope you realize how retarded you sound considering how many famous 'geniuses of science' in the past century have held sincere belief in God.

Unless somehow you think you're better than them, in which case I have no hope of cutting through your delusion.
>>
>>7981658
>A huge chunk of PhDs awarded are for people like Melissa Click who literally go to cons to study fandoms.
Would like to hear more about these theses
>>
>>7981670
>Implying that being right on one topic of discussion means you are objectively better than someone else
>Implying that I would believe such nonsense

You are theism is showing. I wouldn't expect any more from someone who believes that there is a perfect being, better than everyone else.

So shortsighted, you people.

>>7981671
Just google Melissa Click. Or google the paper published about how icebergs are sexist.
>>
>>7981646
Our entire evolution as a species comes from religion. All of our customs and courtesies can be tied to religion.
>>
>>7981658

That's rich coming from the guy who claims philosophers who believe in God are retarded solely for having beliefs that he doesn't understand.

Nice projection, though!
>>
>>7981675
>You are theism is showing.
> you are

Hahahahaahhaaaaa
What a fucking retard
>>
>>7981675
>Or google the paper published about how icebergs are sexist.
but that was a Sokal-like troll wasn't it?
>>
>>7981678
bs. you could say the same about gathering food or violence.
>>
>>7981686
Nice parody of yourself.

Or should I say of you are self :^)
>>
>>7981646
Because engineers exist.
>>
>>7981646
liberal arts
>>
>>7981646
You can get master's degrees in elementary schoolteaching, theology, accounting, even chiropractics. Much of it doesn't require scientific knowledge or any sort of knowledge. Most teachers are required to get a master's nowadays, and they've been >>7981646
some of the dullest people I've ever had the displeasure of talking to.
>>
The numbers don't add to 100
>>
File: gtfo-click.jpg (73 KB, 768x480) Image search: [Google]
gtfo-click.jpg
73 KB, 768x480
>>7981658
>Melissa Click
>>
[citation fucking needed]

>>7981829
no, they sure don't. how about that?
>>
There was some faggot who got a phd in communications for analyzing the people who use reddit. It was absolute shit and got ripped apart by them but as his peers knew nothing about reddit they couldnt challenge him the way you would expect someone getting a phd to be.

A phd means nothing if the field its in is dogshit.
>>
>>7981670
>it's the "theistic belief was more prevalent in the past" (due to social stigma) meme agaib
>>
>>7981646
>all phds are in science
This should be changed reflect all qualifications as well as stem and non-stem qualifications

>>7981829
>what are neutral opinions
>>
>>7982459
>le neutral opinions do real maymay
>>
>>7982459
>neutral opinions
Means shit survey senpai.
>>
>>7982478
>>7982481
>people must always form a definitive opinion even if they feel they don't have enough information

Enjoy your self-made dichotomy
>>
>>7982530
>must
we do, not because we must but because there exists no middle ground. Either you're with or against. There is no room to sit on the fence.
>>
>>7981646
There's other fields to get PhD's in.
>>
>>7982550
I feel bad for you if you can't wait to form an opinion upon feeling you have sufficient information

That's very scientific of you senpai
>>
It's called a doctorate THESIS, so obviously they're going to be theistic.
>>
>>7982565
My opinions aren't rigid and subject to change upon iteration. I just must perform an initial classification at random before perform the iterative process for 2 k-means. Something is either true or false.
>>
>>7981646
Because not every field is a science? How is this even a thread?
>>
File: 1459310686868.png (854 KB, 1080x1920) Image search: [Google]
1459310686868.png
854 KB, 1080x1920
>>7981646
this indeed. Degrees are even less reliable since the date of opening academia to the pleb, especially women. Sciences are just about learning by heart and regurgitating on paper.
academia is a recipe for disaster.
>>
>>7981646
"Why" is never mentioned. That 17% could easily find value in teaching the controversy and having a filter for thinking vs. unthinking students.
Thread replies: 33
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.